Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

So then.......now what?

+7
JAH
Norpig
doffcocker
wanderlust
Boggersbelief
scottjames30
boltonbonce
11 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1So then.......now what? Empty So then.......now what? Tue 2 Sep - 14:24

Did anybody actually seriously think we were going to make any signings yesterday?

Freedman went on record months ago, saying that all his transfer business would be concluded in the first week of the window.

And that's pretty much how it's played out.

Disappointing, but the writing has been on the wall all summer - we have basically no money for new players (not even loans) and we can't spend what little we do have because as soon as we show any interest in a player, we are immediately priced out by the competition because they know we can't compete financially.

Time for Freedman to start earning his corn by moulding what he has got into a team.

Forget stupid systems that the players either can't (or choose not to) understand.

Forget this obsession with rotating the squad for every game.

Forget what's gone on in the past, draw a line in the sand, fresh start, "If you show me you've got the desire and commitment, I will consider playing you" type of thing.

Pick your best XI and play them every week.

We are well and truly up shit creek and if we are to get through it, DF needs to forget trying to be clever and must take things back to basics.

You can't win a game if you haven't got control of the ball, so that needs sorting.

Practice passing to each other and retaining possession.

Decide on a starting back four, with everyone playing in their natural position, and get them drilled and disciplined.

Get the midfield practicing moving the ball quickly up the pitch, along the deck, and teach them what to do with the ball when we get in the final third.

And for christ's sake, bring in a new forwards coach because the one we've got clearly isn't helping.

This could be the most important six months in the club's history because if we fuck it up and wind up in the Third Division, I think the debt could see the end of the club, so it's time for affirmative action now, before it's too late.

Overly dramatic....?

Possibly, but if we don't start addressing what's happening on the pitch every week soon, I fear the worst.

2So then.......now what? Empty Re: So then.......now what? Tue 2 Sep - 14:59

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Can't disagree with anything there Bread,but I don't think Freedman is for turning.
I fear unless we get rid we're heading for league 1.

3So then.......now what? Empty Re: So then.......now what? Tue 2 Sep - 15:22

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You've more chance of Boggers turning into a decent poster than freedman changing his ways.

4So then.......now what? Empty Re: So then.......now what? Tue 2 Sep - 15:26

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:You've more chance of Boggers turning into a decent poster than freedman changing his ways.

I'm more respected on here than you.

5So then.......now what? Empty Re: So then.......now what? Tue 2 Sep - 15:28

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:You've more chance of Boggers turning into a decent poster than freedman changing his ways.

Take it to a vote.

6So then.......now what? Empty Re: So then.......now what? Tue 2 Sep - 15:37

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Didn't expect any signings, but whilst there was a distant prospect of selling Mavies, Chungy or Boggers there was always the outside possibility that we might have changed things around.
We could certainly have done with some better quality striking talent but it was not to be.

Also agree that we have to crack on and make the best of what we've got, even though there is still the possibility of bringing some ingenu on a loan.

As to what we do about the situation and your comments about the manager and the system I'm undecided.

I know Leeds are one of the weaker teams in this league and are likely to be down at the bottom battling relegation like us, but we dominated them on Saturday and created enough chances to win 5 matches - all that was missing was some ruthlessness in front of goal.
If the team produced that every week, I would say that the only thing that needs to happen is shooting practice.

But in the two preceding games, we conceded the bulk of possession and rode our luck until it ran out, so our problems were in midfield and defence.

We know we are not going to be competing at the top of this division and will probably have our work cut out staying in it, but there's no more money so we're going to have to do this the old-school way. 

Effort, commitment and some fancy wheeling and dealing next time round. And there is now no doubt that we'll have to sell the likes of Mavies to develop the squad.

7So then.......now what? Empty Re: So then.......now what? Tue 2 Sep - 15:40

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:

Take it to a vote.

Go on then

8So then.......now what? Empty Re: So then.......now what? Tue 2 Sep - 15:59

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Must admit that we have gone back to basics lately in terms of the formation, and I still have more faith in that than all the one up front systems we've played under Freedman.

Unfortunately there's still a general negativity and mindlessness about the play. If it's not a hopeless long ball up to nobody, it's basic, needless backward/sideways passing and any decent manager would sort it out.

Sometimes you need a manager to be on the touchline, screaming at players to get forward, speed up the game, focus, cut out silly passing, encourage better play in general. Does anybody honestly think Freedman is that man? He just looks like a lost, lonely child out there.

9So then.......now what? Empty Re: So then.......now what? Tue 2 Sep - 16:27

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

its time for Dougie to do what he is paid to do, coach and improve the players we have and turn them into a side that can win games.
The excuses need to stop now, he's got rid of the so-called bad apples and brought in his own players (admittedly not all the ones he probably hoped for) but i just can't see it happening this time.

10So then.......now what? Empty Re: So then.......now what? Tue 2 Sep - 16:44

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

What about Mike Phelan as our manager?

He worked with the most successful manager in the English game. Granted it was for the scum and Old Purple nose, but I would take anything over Freedman at the mo. He has connections (of which Freedman appears to have none whatsoever - maybe that's because he rubs players up the wrong way imo?), so could get us some young Man Utd youth players.

11So then.......now what? Empty Re: So then.......now what? Tue 2 Sep - 16:56

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:

Take it to a vote.

Go on then

You do it, you clamed that you're more respected.

12So then.......now what? Empty Re: So then.......now what? Tue 2 Sep - 16:58

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:its time for Dougie to do what he is paid to do, coach and improve the players we have and turn them into a side that can win games.
The excuses need to stop now, he's got rid of the so-called bad apples and brought in his own players (admittedly not all the ones he probably hoped for) but i just can't see it happening this time.

Absolutely. I just hope that the players he's shown faith in reach their potential, but they've been poor for the most part so far this season.

13So then.......now what? Empty Re: So then.......now what? Tue 2 Sep - 17:02

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:

Take it to a vote.

Go on then

You do it, you clamed that you're more respected.

You suggested a vote. I don't want to embarrass you

14So then.......now what? Empty Re: So then.......now what? Tue 2 Sep - 17:15

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Second half on Saturday proved we can do it with the current squad.  But as we all know the Scotsman will not learn from this and do somat completely stupid for the next game.  And there's the problem ....we have a bottom half squad at the moment but it should be better than relegation fodder.
There is no reason on earth we shouldn't end up safe around 14th when all is said and done...but with this guy I'm not sure at all.

15So then.......now what? Empty Re: So then.......now what? Tue 2 Sep - 17:41

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:Didn't expect any signings, but whilst there was a distant prospect of selling Mavies, Chungy or Boggers there was always the outside possibility that we might have changed things around.
We could certainly have done with some better quality striking talent but it was not to be.

Also agree that we have to crack on and make the best of what we've got, even though there is still the possibility of bringing some ingenu on a loan.

As to what we do about the situation and your comments about the manager and the system I'm undecided.

I know Leeds are one of the weaker teams in this league and are likely to be down at the bottom battling relegation like us, but we dominated them on Saturday and created enough chances to win 5 matches - all that was missing was some ruthlessness in front of goal.
If the team produced that every week, I would say that the only thing that needs to happen is shooting practice.

But in the two preceding games, we conceded the bulk of possession and rode our luck until it ran out, so our problems were in midfield and defence.

We know we are not going to be competing at the top of this division and will probably have our work cut out staying in it, but there's no more money so we're going to have to do this the old-school way. 

Effort, commitment and some fancy wheeling and dealing next time round. And there is now no doubt that we'll have to sell the likes of Mavies to develop the squad.
You are spot on Wanderlust!

16So then.......now what? Empty Re: So then.......now what? Tue 2 Sep - 17:50

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

terenceanne wrote:Second half on Saturday proved we can do it with the current squad.  But as we all know the Scotsman will not learn from this and do somat completely stupid for the next game.  And there's the problem ....we have a bottom half squad at the moment but it should be better than relegation fodder.

This is what grinds my gears, I honestly don't think we have a bottom half squad compared to the rest of the league - IMO we should still be battling for the play offs.

Granted we haven't got the best of strikers but Dougie's negativity is the main that is holding us back - which is why I think we need to get shut.

As for transfers, I did have a slight bit of hope when I heard about Beckford but alas, yet again we have to wait until the loan window opens.

17So then.......now what? Empty Re: So then.......now what? Tue 2 Sep - 20:51

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

We need strikers. I say play the kids - Wilkinson and Thomas in particular. We have no money, we need to reduce expenses and we need to start producing our own players. We look likely to sink. If we do, there will be no mysterious source of money to bring us back and will need to rely on our own resources. Let the kids - who play a better brand of football anyway - get blooded into playing first team football regularly and when we need them, they will be ready. Any ponces who are too big for potential battles in the lower leagues can bugger off now and reduce our wage bill.We will rise again - younger, leaner and hungrier.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum