Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Southport Airshow

+2
boltonbonce
Soul Kitchen
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Southport Airshow Empty Southport Airshow Sun Sep 21 2014, 17:18

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Anybody ever been?
Had a great weekend watching the aircraft displays this weekend at Southport. Some great feats of engineering up in the air displaying great tricks and fly pasts.
Some great sights past and present, The Red Arrows and the multi role Typhoon from the present.
From the past was the Battle of Britain display, Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster supplemented with the Canadian Lancaster and the manta ray of the sky, the Vulcan bomber.
Various helicopters including the American Bell Huey actually used in the Vietnam war.
Great entertainment.

2Southport Airshow Empty Re: Southport Airshow Sun Sep 21 2014, 17:24

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bet it was cheaper than the Macron.

3Southport Airshow Empty Re: Southport Airshow Sun Sep 21 2014, 17:26

I've been a couple of times and really enjoyed it.

It's just a pain in the arse to get out of Southport after it's finished.......

4Southport Airshow Empty Re: Southport Airshow Sun Sep 21 2014, 17:34

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I was fortunate that I've been parked on Victoria Park in my tin tent all weekend so no hassle with the traffic. They were busying about at 7am yesterday when I was going for a paper.
Bonce it was cheaper and better entertainment at the moment than the Reebok.

5Southport Airshow Empty Re: Southport Airshow Sun Sep 21 2014, 18:10

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've never been to an airshow, it's something I want to do, how much did this cost?

6Southport Airshow Empty Re: Southport Airshow Sun Sep 21 2014, 18:17

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The Vulcan just flew quite low over my house.

What a sight.  Cool

7Southport Airshow Empty Re: Southport Airshow Sun Sep 21 2014, 18:25

If you're a plane nerd like me and you like your military fast jets, this place takes some beating:

8Southport Airshow Empty Re: Southport Airshow Sun Sep 21 2014, 19:12

Go to it every year, used to have family that lived on RAF Woodvale. 

I'd also recommend the national musical firework championships at the start of October.

9Southport Airshow Empty Re: Southport Airshow Sun Sep 21 2014, 20:16

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

OneFinFreedman wrote:Go to it every year, used to have family that lived on RAF Woodvale. 

I'd also recommend the national musical firework championships at the start of October.
Been a few times to this in the tin tent. Top drawer!!

10Southport Airshow Empty Re: Southport Airshow Sun Sep 21 2014, 20:27

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

BoltonTillIDie wrote:I've never been to an airshow, it's something I want to do, how much did this cost?
On the car park it was £6 plus £9 per adult occupant per day. However you can book online and it's £8 I think per adult. This gets you down right on the beach which is better than I got view wise. I sat outside my tinny with some tinnys and watched it all. 
Tbh it was fucking awesome!!! 
I found out that the Red Arrows have been going 50 years this year and I saw them 64/65ish at Finningley when my uncle and aunt took me for a special treat. 
Have a look on the net for next year's dates and arrive early or book to get in the travelodge or digs. 
Hope this helps?

11Southport Airshow Empty Re: Southport Airshow Sun Sep 21 2014, 20:31

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It's exactly the same air show they hold at Blackpool a month earlier. 

Blackpool is free. Southport costs a bomb to get anywhere close. Go figure.

As airshows go, it's ok. It's not amazing though, highlight of the show after the red arrows is obviously the Vulcan, the most beatuful plane ever built and the eurpfoghter typhoon, I find the rest to be a bit crap and boring.

If you fancy spending a bit more money, go to the show at RAF cosford near Wolverhampton - the Americans and a few other NATO countries turn up to that - lost of fast jets. 

If you fancy really splashing out, go to RIAT (royal international air tattoo) usually at RAF Farnborough or conningsby - dear, but the absolute cream of world military aircraft turn up over 2 days, it's great.

12Southport Airshow Empty Re: Southport Airshow Sun Sep 21 2014, 20:33

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

The Vulcan flying is funded by lottery money and public donations. 
When this bunch of cnuts came to power in 2010 and they brought in defence cuts they wanted to chop the Red Arrows, fucking rsoles!!!!!

13Southport Airshow Empty Re: Southport Airshow Sun Sep 21 2014, 20:40

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Reebok_Rebel wrote:It's exactly the same air show they hold at Blackpool a month earlier. 

Blackpool is free. Southport costs a bomb to get anywhere close. Go figure.

As airshows go, it's ok. It's not amazing though, highlight of the show after the red arrows is obviously the Vulcan, the most beatuful plane ever built and the eurpfoghter typhoon, I find the rest to be a bit crap and boring.

If you fancy spending a bit more money, go to the show at RAF cosford near Wolverhampton - the Americans and a few other NATO countries turn up to that - lost of fast jets. 

If you fancy really splashing out, go to RIAT (royal international air tattoo) usually at RAF Farnborough or conningsby - dear, but the absolute cream of world military aircraft turn up over 2 days, it's great.
I have had the chance to go to Blackers on a couple of occasions but have been told it is nowhere as intense as Southport. The Vulcan flies only sparingly because of the cost. 
Most of the craft are based at CConingsby, a big one for me was the Huey helicopter with it's distinctive sound as the props batter the air. Apparently it's the only one flying in Europe and comes complete with bullet holes. 
I have to admit that traffic would be a big problem but have made suggestions earlier.

14Southport Airshow Empty Re: Southport Airshow Sun Sep 21 2014, 21:14

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I went to an Airshow at Woodford Aerodrome near Macclesfield many years ago. A great day out until one of the planes crashed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum