Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton manager Neil Lennon pleads with fans for patience

+6
Norpig
Boggersbelief
Hipster_Nebula
Natasha Whittam
Bolton Nuts
karlypants
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton's supporters have been warned it may take some time for Neil Lennon to get the results he craves as he bids to discover which formation best suits the current squad.

Bottom-of-the-table Wanderers will run out under Lennon's rule for the first time this weekend when they visit Birmingham hoping to secure just their second victory in 12 games.

But while Lennon may have had a full week to work with the squad after being appointed midway through the international break, the ex-Celtic boss admits he needs to familiarise himself with a group which is fairly alien to him after four years north of the border.

"I think they're capable of winning games and being consistent," he said.

"There's huge experience in that squad - Matt (Mills), Jermaine (Beckford), Neil Danns, Darren Pratley, Jay (Spearing)...Dean Moxey's played Premier League, Kevin (McNaughton) played for Cardiff for a long, long time at this level, (Adam) Bogdan is a superb goalkeeper, Andy Lonergan will push him all the way as well and then we've got Paddy Kenny so we've got three excellent goalkeepers which is a huge bonus because the big man, Bogdan, is injured at the moment.

"I think there's a wealth of experience there and I don't really know the reason why (they are bottom), and I don't want to dwell on it either.

"I think Dougie (Freedman) will be a successful manager, there are times when it doesn't work for you but I think he'll come again and I hope he does because he's an excellent manager and a good guy as well. But we're looking forward now.

"I would dearly love to hit the ground running but there's no guarantee of that; I don't know myself what the best team's going to be.

"I've got five players away at the minute that I'm not going to see until maybe Thursday, Friday - Tim Ream and the rest of the international players.

"It's still very, very early days. I need to find a formation that suits them, I need them to be comfortable as well."

One of Lennon's first tasks since being appointed at the Macron Stadium was to watch a DVD of the 4-0 drubbing handed to them by Fulham, which proved to be Freedman's final game in charge.

The Northern Irishman has already identified Wanderers' porous defence as an area of concern, while he is confident that the likes of Beckford, who he tried to sign at Celtic, can flourish again.

Lennon added: "I don't really know Jermaine as a person. What I do know is that over the piece he has got a good goalscoring record, he's a good athlete and his movement's very good. We need to get him firing.

"Max Clayton's come in now and is fit, I quite like the look of him. Joe Mason has got goals in him, Craig (Davies) is a target man, as it were, and he's got good goals in him.

"We need to find that recipe for getting the goals and getting the right service as well. And we need to work on the back four because we need to start keeping some clean sheets."

Source

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Clean sheets and patience from fans. Sounds familiar.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:Clean sheets and patience from fans. Sounds familiar.
affraid Don't jinx him already Biggie! Very Happy

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ha ha, a ball hasn't been kicked yet and already Lennon is asking for patience.

My take on this is he's spent a few days watching the squad train and has realised they are absolute garbage.

Natasha Whittam wrote:Ha ha, a ball hasn't been kicked yet and already Lennon is asking for patience.

My take on this is he's spent a few days watching the squad train and has realised they are absolute garbage.

You've left yourself wide open for abuse from Lusty with that one.......

It'll probably go like this -

You (Whittam) spent all last season calling for DF's head because he was obviously shit at managing our squad and getting the best out of them.

He (Lusty) counter-argued that maybe the real problem was that the players were simply shit.

You said this wasn't the case.

But now that he's gone, you've apparently decided that they are shit, afterall........

Very Happy

Breadman wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:Ha ha, a ball hasn't been kicked yet and already Lennon is asking for patience.

You (Whittam) spent all last season calling for DF's head because he was obviously shit at managing our squad and getting the best out of them.

He (Lusty) counter-argued that maybe the real problem was that the players were simply shit.

But now that he's gone, you've apparently decided that they are shit, afterall........

Very Happy

lusty=bredders?

check the ip sluffy, that was way to accurate

Oy!

We'll have no talk of that nature round here, johnny!

I am me and only me.

Apart from at weekends when I don my best frock and become Lady Margerina but now's not the time to discuss that one.....

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Don't worry Nat, It's Bolton, he won't get any patience whether he asks for it or not.

Breadman wrote:Oy!

We'll have no talk of that nature round here, johnny!

I am me and only me.

Apart from at weekends when I don my best frock and become Lady Margerina but now's not the time to discuss that one.....

i thought i recognised you!

ShockedShocked

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've always said this squad is absolute shite, especially the ones signed by Dougie.

But spirit and heart can take a shit squad a long way, unfortunately we don't have any of that either.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wham tash wrote:I've always said this squad is absolute shite, especially the ones signed by Dougie.

Course you have, you always say these players are underachieving 

Natasha Whittam wrote:I've always said this squad is absolute shite, especially the ones signed by Dougie.

But spirit and heart can take a shit squad a long way, unfortunately we don't have any of that either.
Beep Beep! Vehicle reversing! Beep Beep! Vehicle reversing!
Very Happy

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

we have to be patient, it will take time to sort out the mess left behind by Freedman. Personally as along as we avoid relegation this season i will be happy(ish).

As for spirit and heart that is the one thing Lennon will bring in abundance, lets hope its enough.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

Very Happy

Cheers Bread - that saved me the effort.

Seeing as he actually hasn't seen 5 of the better players yet and hardly knows the rest from Adam, I think it's fair enough for Neil to ask for a week or two to see just how shit they are for himself.

We all know he'll find out what he's let himself in for soon enough, but despite that I'm kind of hoping against hope that the "new manager bounce" thing might kick in and grab us a result which will instill confidence in the players and they'll push on from there.

one of the things that worried me though as how much influence Jay Spearing seems to have.  Wasn't there something coming out of the woodwork that he refused to play for someone so it was changed?  May have been Fullarton not sure. 

I know he is club captain and has to be vocal etc, but as long as it's not disruptive!

Do you think Lennon will stick with him as Captain or maybe pick his own

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:one of the things that worried me though as how much influence Jay Spearing seems to have.  Wasn't there something coming out of the woodwork that he refused to play for someone so it was changed?  May have been Fullarton not sure. 

I know he is club captain and has to be vocal etc, but as long as it's not disruptive!

Do you think Lennon will stick with him as Captain or maybe pick his own
It is a worry especially after that Ibiza nonsense but I believe Lennon will handle it the best way possible having already shown that he has no problem firing his best mate AT at Celtic.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:I've always said this squad is absolute shite, especially the ones signed by Dougie.

I take it you won't be going again, course you will!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm geared up for Chorley winning the FA Cup this season.

Fa trophy you mean. Turn your predictive text off.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I'm as patient as the next guy and of course I'm not expecting miracles. 

I'd be more than happy to give him 10 games to turn things around.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum