Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neil Lennon owns up to his squad's class deficit

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Closing the class gap on the likes of Norwich always looked a tall task for Neil Lennon but defeat at Carrow Road was nevertheless an eye-opener for the new Wanderers boss.

Despite the fervour and goodwill that accompanied his appointment, there were clues in the build up to Friday night’s televised clash that the Northern Irishman was trying hard to keep people’s feet on the ground.

He was keen to accentuate the quality of his upcoming opposition, refused to set any targets when over-enthusiastic members of the Press asked if he could recover a nightmarish start and catch-up with the play-offs, and also acknowledged the tight financial situation he has walked into.

Two wins from three was a good start but the first significant dip of his reign laid bare some of the weaknesses in the squad he inherited from Dougie Freedman.

Full-back remains a problem position, particularly with Kevin McNaughton currently struggling with both form and fitness.

Oscar Threlkeld recovered from a nervous start at Norwich but there are big question marks over whether he is ready for first team Championship football every weekend.

A general lack of width in Lennon’s squad was a problem of his predecessor’s making – although Liam Feeney’s exclusion from the squad at Norwich suggests he has work to do to get back into the manager’s good books.

Chung-Yong Lee found himself on the left more often than not against the Canaries and often cut a more isolated figure as a result.

In the kind of form the Korean is in, he needs to be the main attraction for Wanderers. Lennon has shown he is willing to make tough calls and the decision to substitute skipper Jay Spearing for tactical reasons at half time was a brave one indeed – hinting at the manager’s frustration at the lack of penetration in his midfield.

“We had to change things,” he said. “We were second best in the midfield area for – I wouldn’t say long periods but enough to suggest I needed to make a change.”

Up front Jermaine Beckford passed the 10-hour mark without a goal. Lennon has said he will remain patient but for how long remains to be seen.

With two home games to come an improvement is expected – neither Cardiff nor Wigan have shown themselves to be in Norwich’s class so far this season.

And the manager is taking notes.

“There is a lot of football to be played but I’m more concerned with the mentality of what I saw (at Norwich),” he said.

“Was there enough belief in us? I’m not so sure. That needs to change.

“We’ve got another ex-Premier League side in Cardiff coming up and we will need to play better, no question, and I’m sure we will.

“I’m still searching for my best team and getting to know my players.

“There will be a bit of pain along the way but what I saw (against Norwich) disappointed me at times. There have been encouraging signs in every game we’ve played since I came in but not this one.

“I’ll take it, learn from it, and I may have to look at making changes.”

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I told you that before you even took the job Neil. Try to keep up.

And stop watching the BBC - incredibly they're still saying we have one of the best squads in the Championship. Morons.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum