Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are we getting overly maudlin about stuff nowadays?

+6
karlypants
gloswhite
Bwfc1958
boltonbonce
Reebok_Rebel
xmiles
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

I know it's Remembrance Sunday and I'm fully down with that, but I'm watching the West Brom v Newcastle game and so far we've had:

A minute's silence.

The Last Post.

A minute of applause for Jeff Astle on nine minutes.

and

A minute's applause for that Geordie bloke who died in the Malaysian Airlines crash on seventeen minutes.

As I say, the Last Post and the minute's silence are fine in my book, but where do we draw the line?

If it carries on like this, every game will feature some sort of commemoration during it at some point.

I don't want to sound like a heartless wanker, but does nobody else think it's getting a bit much?

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Yes it's completely over the top. Why interrupt a football game at 17 minutes because some guy got killed in an airplane crash? So fucking what. What's so special about dying in an airplane that makes it more important than someone dying in a car crash or any other way unexpectedly?

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

xmiles wrote:Yes it's completely over the top. Why interrupt a football game at 17 minutes because some guy got killed in an airplane crash? So fucking what. What's so special about dying in an airplane that makes it more important than someone dying in a car crash or any other way unexpectedly?
Know what, I was going to tear you a new asshole... 

However, I agree totally with everything written above...

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:Yes it's completely over the top. Why interrupt a football game at 17 minutes because some guy got killed in an airplane crash? So fucking what. What's so special about dying in an airplane that makes it more important than someone dying in a car crash or any other way unexpectedly?
That was 'Thought for the day'. Next on Radio four,the shipping forecast.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Will they be doing this every week now then. For the bloke that died in the plane crash and Jeff Astle? I think once is ok, not every week though. Having said that I agree with xsmiles. What sets them apart from everyone else that unfortunately dies before their time? I'm not sure.

In for a penny, in for a pound.......

Another one that gets on my tits is the growing emergence of ad hoc road-side memorials - flowers and teddy bears cable tied to trees and railings.

There used to be a semi-permanent one at the junction of Longcauseway and Bolton Rd in Farnworth near the new Tesco.

It had a massive banner with the girl's face on it and it was there for a couple of years.

If someone you love has been killed in a car crash or got knocked down crossing the road, why the fuck would you want to commemorate it at the place it happened?

That's what graves are for.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I really don't get it.

They had a minutes silence before we played Norwich last Friday because it was there last home game before remembrance Sunday, it was still in October and they have played twice since.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Been one in Warrington for over 7 years now. Gets freshened up every Christmas,but for most of the year it looks a mess. There must be better and more dignified options.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Different people handle their grief in different ways. Many, myself included, feel that it is best to have closure on such things, but others can not let go. There is a road-side memorial a couple of miles away from me, and its tended on a regular basis, and obviously means a lot to the person who does it. I have no problem with this, but often wonder why some are left to go to ruin, which, to my mind, does the opposite of what they were meant to do.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:In for a penny, in for a pound.......

Another one that gets on my tits is the growing emergence of ad hoc road-side memorials - flowers and teddy bears cable tied to trees and railings.

There used to be a semi-permanent one at the junction of Longcauseway and Bolton Rd in Farnworth near the new Tesco.

It had a massive banner with the girl's face on it and it was there for a couple of years.

If someone you love has been killed in a car crash or got knocked down crossing the road, why the fuck would you want to commemorate it at the place it happened?

That's what graves are for.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I really don't get it.
I agree with this, there was one on Blackburn road near Kirk's bakers that was there for years.  I remember reading an article in the BEN about the council wanting to get rid of them or something.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Some of these tributes are distracting and can simply cause more accidents.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

I don't want to sound like a heartless wanker, but does nobody else think it's getting a bit much?

No.
What a twat thread this is , if you got off your arse and did a bit for the country instead of being into bread then you might realise the true facts of life, if a poppy or some family putting flowers down pisses you off then you you need to get a grip.

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

It does go on abit

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Mr Magoo wrote:It does go on abit
What about spare a thought for your dad or Grandad, Mother or Aunt Grandmother or someone that died giving their life.

One things for sure the war went on abit.

Two min's of your life here and there for respect surly doesn't affect a boring hermit like you?

scottjames30 wrote:
Breadman wrote:

No.
What a twat thread this is , if you got off your arse and did a bit for the country instead of being into bread then you might realise the true facts of life, if a poppy or some family putting flowers down pisses you off then you you need to get a grip.

Thanks for missing the point.

Again........

Come back when you can actually read.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Is it worth starting a thread about it?

Really.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Many years ago someone I heard about put one up after their daughter was run down and killed. They never did get the driver, so where's the closure there?

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Howabout going days without sleep, getting shot in the leg, not getting washed for weeks. I bet that took a lot of drinking and interweb away .

From a personal point of view, ye it seems over the top and wouldn't be my choice in terms of paying my respects. 

But everybody's different, it doesn't do any harm so let people grieve however they want I suppose. Not harming anybody to stand up and give a round of applause on the 9th and 17th minutes.

scottjames30 wrote:Howabout going days without sleep, getting shot in the leg, not getting washed for weeks. I bet that took a lot of drinking and interweb away .

Nobody's questioning the validity of war memorials Scott, read the thread.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum