Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

David Wheater ensuring Eidur Gudjohnsen is in fast lane for Bolton Wanderers

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

David Wheater reckons car share buddy Eidur Gudjohnsen might be the man to add drive to Wanderers’ play-off ambitions.

The big defender’s return to action against Ipswich Town was overshadowed somewhat by the Icelander, who stepped off the bench to play his first game for the Whites in 14 years.

No doubt the 0-0 draw against the Tractor Boys will be the topic of discussion when the pair drive down the M61 towards training this week.

But Wanderers’ self-appointed star chauffer doesn’t mind his new duties, provided his passenger is doing the business on the pitch.

“I’ve been looking after him, opening doors for him, serving his dinner – stuff like that,” Wheater told The Bolton News.

“He’s been top drawer. He’s got all the experience in the world at Barcelona with the Lionel Messis of this world. What can you do?

“It’s good we can get that kind of quality player. If he’d have come a few months ago he might not have wanted to stay.

“Now training is good, the manager is great with everyone, we’re coming in happy and, hopefully, that means we’re winning games.

“I want him to get a car, though. He does my head in sometimes.

“He listens to the same music I do, which is fine, but when he gets on the phone he’s chatting away in Icelandic so I have to sit there for five minutes not talking.”

At 36, Gudjohnsen may be a short-term measure for Neil Lennon, who needed to compensate for Chung-Yong Lee’s absence at the Asia Cup in January.

But Wheater believes the striker can play on for a good while yet, even if he claims he has marked him out of training games thus far.

“It’s easy for me,” he laughed. “It’s weird because he says he’s lost a bit of pace but he’s got the strength, so he knows exactly where you are going so he can hold you off. His touch is unbelievable.

“He can play for a few years. He lives his life right, he doesn’t go out much, and that always helps.

“When he does fitness work he looks good so hopefully he can stay injury free.”

Since Gudjohnsen left Bolton in 2000, he has won a glittering array of trophies at some of Europe’s top clubs but Wheater insists he does not dwell on his past glories at all.

“No – and I’ve tried to get it out of him as well,” he said. “I asked him where he lived, whether it was near Messi, and tried to get an invite in the summer.

“He doesn’t really mention it. I try to get him chatting about Messi and Chelsea, John Terry and that, but he doesn’t give much away, he just wants to concentrate on Bolton.

“I think he’s modest. But if someone had a go at him he’d throw a Champions League medal at them.”

The draw against Ipswich was also a big day for Wheater, who has not featured since injuring his back prior to kick-off in a 1-0 defeat at Leeds United back in late August.

While the fairytale return didn’t quite pan out – with no late goal for either him or Gudjohnsen, the former Middlesbrough defender was pleased to be involved again.

“It’s brilliant to be back,” he said. “I’ve trained hard for it.

“I did my back and it was a rubbish injury, picking it up in the warm-up (at Leeds).

“It was probably the most painful one I’ve had but I’ve worked really hard to get back in the team. Hopefully I can stay there.

“I understand why I’ve had to wait. The lads have been playing well, winning games, but I can only train as hard as I can and see what comes up.

“But this was a good point. You can see why Ipswich are second in the league because you can’t really get through them. They sit in very well.

“It was a really tough game but we got the clean sheet, a draw and it feels much better than a loss.”

Source

“It’s good we can get that kind of quality player. If he’d have come a few months ago he might not have wanted to stay.

“Now training is good, the manager is great with everyone, we’re coming in happy and, hopefully, that means we’re winning games.

They like having their digs at old managers dont they

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wheater is a donkey and if he stays in the team we'll be in a relegation battle.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i thought Wheater did ok on Saturday against two of the better strikers in the Championship.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:i thought Wheater did ok on Saturday against two of the better strikers in the Championship.

Accident waiting to happen. Thankfully they had no pace though.

Wheaters are best defender when fit, that just doesn't happen thought. Always takes him ages to get up to pace but when he does he reads the game better than Mills IMO.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i prefer Wheater to Mills any day, Wheater knows he can't pass that well unlike Mills who still thinks he is some world class centre back who can spray the ball around the park.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

When did Wheater ever play well for BWFC? Genuine question.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:When did Wheater ever play well for BWFC? Genuine question.

i just said, on Saturday! I just don't think Mills and Wheater are a good partnership, Dervite has improved a lot and i would prefer Wheater and Dervite as a pair.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:

i just said, on Saturday! I just don't think Mills and Wheater are a good partnership, Dervite has improved a lot and i would prefer Wheater and Dervite as a pair.

We were shambolic at the back on Saturday. Three carthorses playing together. Scary.

Norpig wrote:i prefer Wheater to Mills any day, Wheater knows he can't pass that well unlike Mills who still thinks he is some world class centre back who can spray the ball around the park.

Completely agree with that, nothing more frustrating than seeing Mills gear up for a long diagonal which he invariably gives away.

Natasha Whittam wrote:When did Wheater ever play well for BWFC? Genuine question.

Whenever he's had an extended run in the team (ie not been injured) he's improved as he gets games under his belt. Problem has always been staying fit, when he is he's a great defender at this level.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

But when? I honestly can't remember him being fit for more than two games.

Last season after he was taken out of the team by Freedman to get fit he had an extended run for the rest of the season and played well. Same with the season we went down, had he not got injured in the West Brom game I think we'd have stayed up, conceded some really stupid goals at Stoke.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Our last season in the premiership Wheater was a rock, his injury speeded our relegation, He should be top class at championship level.

How can a defence be shambolic keeping a clean sheet?.

However his inclusion pushed Dervite out of position, Lennon picked him because he was a good call for a physical contest and Vela was ill. It worked we kept a clean sheet.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum