Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Conor Wilkinson - I want to build a future with Bolton Wanderers

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Conor Wilkinson insists he is here to stay at Wanderers.

The young striker has not been involved in the last couple of first-team squads but is likely to get a recall for tomorrow's FA Cup clash with Wigan.

Having whet his appetite with a full league debut against Ipswich Town earlier this month, Wilkinson wants to fight for a regular place against senior front men Emile Heskey, Craig Davies and Eidur Gudjohnsen.

Oldham have already voiced a desire to take him back to Boundary Park for a second loan spell. but Wilkinson is willing to dig in his heels for now.

“I want to set my future here,” he said. “I want to try and get in the team here, to do my best for Bolton and do whatever I can to get into the team.

“From playing against teams in League One to teams in the Championship was a massive step, physically and mentally.

“Oldham was my first taste of proper league football so I learned a lot in my time there. I thank them a lot. But this is where I am now.”

Signed by Dougie Freedman from Millwall in the summer of 2013, the 19-year-old had to wait patiently to make his senior bow in the Capital One Cup earlier this season.

But when Freedman left the club in October, Wilkinson did not fear he could end up taking a backward step.

“I didn’t worry at all,” he said. “I had a few friends at Celtic who told me what a great gaffer was coming here. They were right.

“He came here, changed a lot of things and he’s believed in me. I thank him for starting me against Ipswich and for my new contract.”

Wilkinson also broke into the Republic of Ireland Under-21 set-up during 2014, earning three caps.

Despite being born in Croydon, the youngster says his Irish heritage makes him keen to earn a senior call-up one day.

“I can play for the under-21s for two or three years yet, so hopefully if I can impress on that stage and the manager is looking around for strikers, I can be one of the first he picks,” he said.

“I’m a Londoner but the Irish side comes from my mum, my nan and my granddad.

“Even if someone asked me if I’d like to play for England or Ireland tomorrow I’d pick Ireland. My family are really proud to see me in that shirt.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum