Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ipswich 1-0 Bolton

+17
boltonbonce
Reebok_Rebel
Danno
BoltonTillIDie
aaron_bwfc
rammywhite
Keegan
bryan458
Natasha Whittam
scottjames30
terenceanne
Bwfc1958
Hipster_Nebula
karlypants
Norpig
wanderlust
Boggersbelief
21 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

81Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Thu Mar 19 2015, 00:50

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

One additional Lennon plaudit...
Under Dougie we were -12 GD
Under Dougie and the one game without a manager we were -13 GD
Under Lennon we are +2... and that's with a full team of injuries and a really bad month of defending when our players were dropping like flies.

While we may not be happy with the latest results, I agree with those who think Lennon will steady the ship and gives us hope for the future.  Of course, dependent on the money available, we'll see what Lennon does with that money.  But, I'll bet on Lennon to give us a good ride next season, and dependent on staying healthy, we can hope for a top six finish.

Seeing how well our youngsters are playing, is just another feather in Lennon's cap.  I also think Lennon will attract players who want to come to the club, but that is yet to be seen.  We can hope!

82Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Thu Mar 19 2015, 13:47

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

wanderlust wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:And the premise of the discussion is wouldn't we be where we are now if Freedman had been allowed to stay and execute HIS plan? Fact is you don't know - none of us do. We've no idea if he'd have given debuts to youngsters by now or who he would have brought in.

Absolute garbage.

He'd had more than 18 months to implement his so-called plan. After 18 months we were bottom of the league. Where is the evidence we'd have suddenly shot up the league? I'll tell you where it is - in your fat head.

Anyone unlucky enough to watch BWFC under Freedman will know it was turgid stuff, absolutely dire, the worst football imaginable. Evidence suggests if we'd kept him as manager we'd be in the bottom 3 right now.

And as for your notion that Freedman would have picked Clough, Walker etc. Bullshit. He had numerous opportunities when we had injuries but chose to go into the loan market for more pisspoor players.

He was a shit manager, the worst, and I'll bet you anything we are a force next season under Lennon.

You point to evidence where there is none. We could be top of the league with a 10 point advantage for all you know. You're guessing and you know it. You do it because you led from the rear to give Freedman a kicking when he was down and now you're embarrassed because Lennon has still not got enough points for us to be statistically safe whereas as Dougie has kicked ass at Forest.
If you want to quote facts in a shouty voice then LENNON'S RESULTS ARE WORSE THAN DOUGIE'S at this stage of their relative tenures so maybe you want to hang fire on judging our Neil until he's had another chance to sign his own players and a second season under his belt.

When will you start to realise that you know f*** all about what's happening behind the scenes at the club, what is said and what players do in training so all your surmise about "what Dougie is thinking" or "what Neil is thinking" is 100% pure speculation.

It all boils down to one simple fact. You and your "followers" don't like Freedman anymore even though you were ready to have his babies the previous season. Lennon you can tolerate for now - but you'll be planting your knife between his shoulder blades at the first opportunity as usual.

Also noticed your writing style changes when you get into the emotive subject of our previous manager. Reminds me of another one of your "characters" who spouts similarly foundless subjective shite on this topic.

And Bread....thanks for dragging this old chestnut up again you shit-stirring ****. Smile

The Dougster Highlights (well you wanted evidence right?)

2013/2014 Season

- Dougie Freedman’s side failed to win any of their opening 10 league games (D5 L5 - points 5) as they recorded their worst start to a season since 1902 - when they drew two and lost eight in the same time frame. 

- The 14th-placed finish was Bolton's worst ranking in the Football League since 1993/94

- Wanderers' 7-1 defeat at Reading on January 18 was their heaviest in over 30 years since they were beaten by the same score line at Queens Park Rangers in May 1982. 

2014/2015 Season

- Dougie Freedman’s side matched the achievement of the previous season over the first 10 games and for most of us it was arguable worst with the culmination being a 4-0 loss away to Fulham! (W1 D2 L7 – points 5)

All evidence of Dougie Freedman’s “master plan” in operation.

83Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Thu Mar 19 2015, 14:45

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Agree wholeheartedly with Natasha, Terenceanne and JAH. Quite apart from every one of Dougie's failings mentioned above, the standard of football and entertainment was virtually unbearable.....as several opposition managers remarked too:-how embarrassing for a club of our proud history!

Plus, the number of last-minute sickeners conceded recently owes more than a little bit to ill-fortune. You can't blame the team for the Wolves equaliser, for example, nor for the brilliance of Coutinho's goal etc.  You'd think the Law of Averages would see us straight but not so far. And wasn't the winning Ipswich goal a pure fluke which they did not deserve?

I'm convinced that even with just average luck with injuries, late goals etc we'd be comfortably in the top half of the table with confidence high and a good nucleus of young players coming through who would never have seen the light of day under Dougie. Lennon has a good eye for a player and clearly would like to be on the front foot in games, where possible. Thank God for that!

84Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Thu Mar 19 2015, 15:02

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

PS: Dougie's failings part 2: never managed to utilise CYL successfully, yet Lennon did so immediately; soured the atmosphere between himself and the players and the fans; totally mismanaged the crucial Blackpool game in unforgiveable manner.

85Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Fri Mar 20 2015, 09:20

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Try comparing like for like and you'll see why the knives could well be out for Lennon next season.

In Dougie's first season he took over from Coyle when we were 18th in the table and his first game in charge was on the 3rd November against Cardiff.
Dougie's results were:
WDDDDWLWLLWLDDLWDDDWWWWLLWWWLWDW

That's 33 games, 14 wins, 11 draws and 8 losses in a spell in which Freedman accumulated 53 points and beat all the top clubs including Leicester and Hull - plus the double over Rovers.

And was the trust in the manager and the hope we had for the future any less in Dougie's first season in charge? I don't think so despite having far higher expectations and greater cutbacks/austerity and I'd suggest you refer back to your own comments on this very forum before drawing comparisons.

Dougie's first season was an exciting time as we climbed the table, briefly got into the playoffs before a final day draw against B'Pool wasn't enough. Still it had Nat speculating ("9 points from the last 12 and we'll make it") and Aaron waxing lyrical ("whether we make it or not, the last few months have been exciting - better than a relegation battle")
All this success despite us being a club in turmoil with Dougie wielding the axe and ponces having hissy fits in the dressing room so that he couldn't pick the same team for two weeks in a row and some characters being sidelined or shown the door.
It's all on record.

From 18th Dougie took us to 7th, level on points with Leicester so Neil isn't that far behind Freedman as it stands and he could take us on a run to get us up to 13th (comparable) and I'd be delighted if he does, starting with 3 points at Wigan.

But the facts are that Freedman's first season is likely to turn out better than Lennon's and we can only compare first season's at this stage.

I'll reiterate that I really hope that Lennon sticks with us and starts to deliver as he has the potential to become a great manager.

Anything less and the knives will be out again and all the positive things Lennon has done will be forgotten and praise will turn to bile as quickly as it did with Dougie because you are a fickle lot. Smile

86Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Fri Mar 20 2015, 11:19

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think you're insulting the intelligence of fellow bolton fans that more than likely see more games than you do, wanderlust.

The fans will give a manager time if they see signs of the club moving in the right direction, dougie was given more than enough time to turn it around yet still displayed his arrogance by not changing the style of play, continuing to freeze out the youth and dropping players in form, all because he thought he had some master plan.

So far under lennon the results have been similar to Freedmans first season but hes dealing with an enormous injury problem.. he's dealt with it superbly by integrating the likes of clough, vela and walker.. Players that would not have got a sniff under freedman.

I have a lot more confidence now than I ever did with doog, you fail to remember the shocking records he was breaking and the first couple of months of this very season.. He had us looking like relegation certs and capped it all off by claiming the players HE brought in weren't good enough. 

NL is a winner and will only take us forward, whether you like it or not.

87Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Fri Mar 20 2015, 11:54

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:I think you're insulting the intelligence of fellow bolton fans that more than likely see more games than you do, wanderlust.

The fans will give a manager time if they see signs of the club moving in the right direction, dougie was given more than enough time to turn it around yet still displayed his arrogance by not changing the style of play, continuing to freeze out the youth and dropping players in form, all because he thought he had some master plan.

So far under lennon the results have been similar to Freedmans first season but hes dealing with an enormous injury problem.. he's dealt with it superbly by integrating the likes of clough, vela and walker.. Players that would not have got a sniff under freedman.

I have a lot more confidence now than I ever did with doog, you fail to remember the shocking records he was breaking and the first couple of months of this very season.. He had us looking like relegation certs and capped it all off by claiming the players HE brought in weren't good enough. 

NL is a winner and will only take us forward, whether you like it or not.

Cheap shot first line Boggers? Got your Nat hat on today?

Results are similar but Freedman's were better

Injuries are bad but under Freedman we had less total players to begin with than we do now -and I don't think the antics of Eagles etc did anything other than undermine the team plus the players knew DF was out to cut wages so I think both managers have had to deal with turmoil.

I hope NL BECOMES a winner but he's got a tough job on his hands to turn it around, especially working under (albeit slightly improved) financial restraints.

I've always liked Neil Lennon even when he was a player, but he needs to show that he can pull a rabbit out of the hat. He had it relatively easy at Celtic so he still has a lot to prove and I really, really hope he does it.

Nobody is doubting the air of confidence but I think Bread's original question was about whether or not it is misplaced and so far Neil's results haven't ruled that possibility out.

You talk about intelligent fans - fair enough - but the point I was making is that fans' loyalty lies with our club - not the incumbent manager - so whilst the NL love-in is currently in full swing I think the comparison with Freedman's first season is a useful one to demonstrate how things can change.

88Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Fri Mar 20 2015, 12:35

Surprised anybody's arguing the point that a bad run of results would see a lot of Lennon's biggest fans turn on him, most football fans are fickle. Regardless of the situation a club finds itself in, failing to get results only brings one thing for managers.

89Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Fri Mar 20 2015, 13:05

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Surprised anybody's arguing the point that a bad run of results would see a lot of Lennon's biggest fans turn on him, most football fans are fickle. Regardless of the situation a club finds itself in, failing to get results only brings one thing for managers.

I'm not.

90Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Fri Mar 20 2015, 13:28

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yes it was exciting in Dougies first season, but thats where it ended. Last season was awful from day one and this season started out in exactly the same way. The football on offer was also awful, all that hoping to score 1 and then defend at all costs was rubbish and he had no other way of playing. Add this to his refusal to even try the young players meant he had to go.

The fact that Lennon has got us out of the bottom 3 with all the injuries we've had bodes well for when he can finally get some of these players back and his own players in the summer.

91Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Fri Mar 20 2015, 16:40

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:

I'm not.

You're not a fan though. You're an observer from a distance.

I think you're the only Bolton fan I've seen suggest Freedman was on course to get us into the Champions League.

Good job the board didn't see it your way.

92Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Fri Mar 20 2015, 16:49

At the end of the day Dougie had to go, anybody that went to his last few games could see how poisonous the atmosphere had become and how his position was irrevocable. But Bread's question wasn't about that (as I read it anyway), it was about why Lennon was able to get away with things that Dougie was crucified for, eg - 

- Signing a Palace reserve (McCarthy) or a Sheff Wed reserve - Coke
- Signing players and not playing them much
- Signing a raft of central midfielders
- Playing one up front at home
- Resting ALF last night

As I said when Dougie was in charge, he sees the players every day so we should show some faith that he knows who needs rotating and what the squad needs.

Lennon's done a good job so far, particularly by rectifying Dougie's biggest mistake and bringing through the youngsters, but long term he has to solve the two major issues of shit away form and poor defence. If he doesn't he'll end up getting abused by the fans and the same criticisms will begin. 

If the finances need to be cut again this summer then any manager would struggle, we desperately needs to improve the defence and I'm not convinced the current personnel are up to it no matter how much training they get. 

But if he gets a bit of leeway and some injuries back I'm pretty positive about our chances under Lennon.

93Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Fri Mar 20 2015, 16:52

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Yes it was exciting in Dougies first season, but thats where it ended. Last season was awful from day one and this season started out in exactly the same way. The football on offer was also awful, all that hoping to score 1 and then defend at all costs was rubbish and he had no other way of playing. Add this to his refusal to even try the young players meant he had to go.

The fact that Lennon has got us out of the bottom 3 with all the injuries we've had bodes well for when he can finally get some of these players back and his own players in the summer.

If there's anything at all in the "new manager bounce effect" theory then it's only right to compare on a first season basis. During that season, there were few breaks for young players as we had all those "premiership standard" players hanging around the club until Dougie got rid, put them out on loan or simply marginalised them a la Mears and Eagles.
I completely agree that Dougie was dire from then on in terms of what happened on the pitch and as fast as he got rid of the dead wood he ran out of ideas and I have always said so.
However that's all irrelevant to the question. What is relevant is that Neil could be as bad or even worse than DF in his second season - we don't know what's going to happen.
Sure he makes all the right noises, but we have had a genuine problem with quality since Coyle was the manager and no matter what noises Neil makes, they won't make the fundamental problems at the club go away - so he has the potential to go the same way as previous managers and that will continue to be the case until we either sort out the finances or get lucky in the transfer market or both.
We all wish NL every success in the world but it is likely to be a rocky road and I'm hoping we get somewhere before the fans lose patience or Neil has had enough. Hopefully a win at Wigan will settle the nerves and we can get on with the job of rebuilding.

94Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Fri Mar 20 2015, 17:04

For what it's worth, I reckon that Lennon has come to largely the same conclusion that Freedman did towards the end: The players (with one or two exceptions) simply aren't good enough.

And this, allied to the crippling injury crisis, is what's been behind his decision to start blooding the youngsters.

A sort of "Sod it, they can't do any worse" approach.

The jury is honestly still out on Lennon for me.

I'm not turning on him, as I've said right from the off that his lack of experience in terms of managing a team that isn't the wealthiest in the league by a country mile worries me.

I honestly hope he's good enough to fashion a team that's capable of climbing the division and challenging next term but I think it will take a fair degree of investment and I'm not sure we've got the cash to do it.

I think we'll see loads more loan signings and precious few permanent deals.

And that's where it will be make or break for Lennon - if he is good enough, he'll succeed, if he's not, we'll have another season like this one.

Only time will tell......

95Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Fri Mar 20 2015, 17:10

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not surprising that it's the armchair brigade trying to suggest Lennon could be another Douglas.

Get down to the game tomorrow, and despite a crippling injury list you'll see a team play more football in the first 10 minutes than Freedman's Bolton played in 3 months.

96Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Fri Mar 20 2015, 17:13

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Have you noticed them that don't go know best.

97Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Fri Mar 20 2015, 17:17

I've noticed something too.

You two always appear about two minutes apart on here and post largely similar opinions.

Just an observation, please don't ban me again.

98Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Fri Mar 20 2015, 17:19

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Last warning.

99Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Fri Mar 20 2015, 17:20

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:I've noticed something too.

You two always appear about two minutes apart on here and post largely similar opinions.

Just an observation, please don't ban me again.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

100Ipswich 1-0 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Ipswich 1-0 Bolton Fri Mar 20 2015, 17:27

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Get down to the game tomorrow, and despite a crippling injury list you'll see a team play more football in the first 10 minutes than Freedman's Bolton played in 3 months.

I saw that fairly recently.

Sadly, the team in question were wearing red and were called Rotherham.

Lennon did do a lot of shouting and waving his arms though, so he clearly had a plan to address it.

He even did his patented "kick the water bottle as far as you can to demonstrate your frustration" move - very impressive.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum