Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers lay down fitness challenge to Wilson Palacios

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers have laid down a challenge to out-of-contract midfielder Wilson Palacios: Prove your fitness, and we’ll talk about a deal.

The 30-year-old Honduran will continue to train with the Whites until the end of the week and is likely to accompany them on Sunday as they fly out for their pre-season training camp in Austria.

But the club insist they have yet to discuss a contract and won’t do so until they are convinced he is over the injury problems that have kept him out of competitive club action since April 2014.

Knee problems restricted Palacios to just 14 starts in three seasons for his previous club Stoke City, who paid £6million to Tottenham for his services in August 2011.

A move to Qatar broke down last season after Palacios failed a medical and MLS club Philadelphia Union also passed on offering him a deal earlier this month, claiming he was not in the right condition for first-team football at present.

Early reports from Euxton have been encouraging, however, and with Palacios not included in the Honduras squad for the Gold Cup, Wanderers have an opportunity to take some extra time before discussing a contract.

Finances remain tight, although Lennon could have a little breathing room should he be able to sell fringe players Sanmi Odelusi and Conor Wilkinson in the next few days.

One player who looks unlikely to link up with Wanderers in Austria is Eidur Gudjohnsen, who is in discussion with newly-promoted Chinese club Shijiazhuang Ever Bright about a deal next season.

The former Barcelona and Chelsea star was given some extra time off by Neil Lennon after featuring for Iceland in the European Championship qualifiers but had been struggling to agree personal terms with the Whites.

Sources close to the player suggest he is close to agreeing a lucrative one-year deal in the North Chinese Hebei province.

Medo Kamara has also been granted extra time off after working with the Sierra Leone squad in the last couple of weeks. The midfielder is expected to join Wanderers on tour for friendlies against Sturm Graz and SC Paderborn.

Meanwhile, a change has been made to Wanderers’ early-season fixture list after the first round of televised games were announced by Sky Sports yesterday.

The derby clash at Blackburn Rovers will now take place on Friday, August 28, with a 7.45pm kick-off at Ewood Park.

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I honestly can't see Palacios succeeding in any "fitness challenge" - he's knackered so I think that may be the end of the matter unless Lennon gets him to agree to some sort of pay-as-you-play deal.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I dunno lusty, maybe he can get properly fit if he gets the chance to put a few back to back games together on this tour. I agree he's got a bad record for injuries etc but if he does make a proper comeback he'd be a very useful player for us. I'm actually hopeful about this one. Maybe because we've actually signed Amos and Madine and because Pratley chose to stay here.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:I dunno lusty, maybe he can get properly fit if he gets the chance to put a few back to back games together on this tour. I agree he's got a bad record for injuries etc but if he does make a proper comeback he'd be a very useful player for us. I'm actually hopeful about this one. Maybe because we've actually signed Amos and Madine and because Pratley chose to stay here.

He's already failed two medicals with other clubs so I suspect there's something very wrong there.
More concerning is that his game was largely based on fitness and athleticism.
Never thought I say this but the most effective midfield ball winner we've had in recent times was Fabrice - even though he hadn't a clue what to do with it once he'd won it.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I'll be honest and say I missed hearing about the two failed medicals. Where were they and what did he fail on? I only ask because I would suspect the club's given him a medical here already and that they wouldn't have issued a challenge like this unless they believed it was possible. 

I liked Fabrice at the time and even suggested once he replace Kevin Davies as Captain. That was right after the boxing day defeat to Liverpool and boy did I catch a lotta flak for that idea. I have to be honest and say I'd give a lot to see a midfielder with Fabrice's determination and play breaking ability alongside someone who has Mavies or Stu Holden type skills on the ball.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:I'll be honest and say I missed hearing about the two failed medicals. Where were they and what did he fail on? I only ask because I would suspect the club's given him a medical here already and that they wouldn't have issued a challenge like this unless they believed it was possible. 

I liked Fabrice at the time and even suggested once he replace Kevin Davies as Captain. That was right after the boxing day defeat to Liverpool and boy did I catch a lotta flak for that idea. I have to be honest and say I'd give a lot to see a midfielder with Fabrice's determination and play breaking ability alongside someone who has Mavies or Stu Holden type skills on the ball.

One was with an MLS club and I can't remember who the other was with.

I think we need two midfield enforcers who can pass a bit and Pratley and a fit Palacios would rule the middle of the park.
Dougie showed that Prats can't dominate on his own as they just passed around him.

Mavies isn't and will never be a ball-winning, attack-destroying midfielder - he's an old school inside forward by nature. To justify his selection he needs to compete for a place with the other "strikers" because it's not enough to run at defences without an end product, even if it's pretty to watch.

We've tried playing with one enforcer and 5 "creatives" in the front 6 and it's failed miserably so sooner or later we are going to have to get a grip of midfield and make do with 4 attack - minded forwards who are supported by the enforcers through the middle and wingbacks down the sides - or go to a back 3 to create an extra attacking body.

Can't see Lennon going with a back 3 so I think he has to beef up the middle. IMO.

As things stand we have Vela , Trotter, Medo and Spearing who could all partner Pratley in that role but I'm not sure Neil has confidence in any of them apart from Vela who is likely to be second string again this year.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It was a team in Qatar. They do have world class medical facilities so I doubt anything would get past them.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I think that's a good idea. Especially if we play with either five across the middle or go 4-4-2 (maybe 4-4-1-1) with Darren and Wilson anchoring and then two out and out wingers or a 'flair' man in 'the hole' behind an out and out striker. 

Basically have them there simply to win the ball and give it to someone who can run and dribble as fast as possible.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum