Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Moxey believes Whites can go farther this Christmas

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Defender Dean Moxey hopes Tuesday's comeback at Charlton can be a starting point for a turnaround in Wanderers' fortunes on the field.

The Whites earned a first point on the road since October at The Valley after going two down inside half an hour.

And while it was not the win Moxey and his team-mates craved against a side also now in the bottom three in the Championship, the full-back says it has instilled belief that they can escape the relegation scrap this season.

Moxey, who blamed himself for his part in Charlton's second goal on the night for Ademola Lookman, said: “It wasn't a good start. Giving the goal away after 20-odd seconds was not in the plan.

"The second goal was my fault, I should have gone tighter to (Ricardo) Vaz Te, I let him turn and get to the bye-line to cross it and I should have done better.

"But after the two goals we gave away we came out fighting and that’s what we need to do.

“That is what we have been talking about all week.

"We were disappointed to lose against Hull but you saw what this team is all about now.

"We need to do that for the rest of the season and get ourselves out of this predicament.

"We have got to stick together. Everyone will say it.

"The gaffer said the only way is up and we’ve got to believe that.

"We still believe and there is still a long way to go."

Wanderers are back on home soil tomorrow against more London opposition in the shape of Fulham.

They then face fellow strugglers Rotherham away on Boxing Day before the live televised home derby clash against Blackburn Rovers 48 hours later at the Macron Stadium.

It is a busy spell as usual over the Christmas period but Moxey believes the fightback at Charlton has given them renewed confidence.

The team may only have registered one league win all season – at home to Wolves three months ago – but Moxey says the clutch of festive games do provide a chance to increase that tally, starting against the Cottagers tomorrow.

And he says the off-field situation cannot be used as an excuse despite the prospect of another month without pay for the players.

The 29-year-old added: "I don’t think it has been a distraction, I mean we were getting paid and still losing games.

"It is obviously hard at the moment with Christmas coming up and the younger lads who haven’t been in the game as long, it is not nice for anyone, but more so for them.

“It will always play on your mind but the bottom line is we haven’t been good enough.

"But survival is definitely do-able.

“The gaffer has said the next four or five games are winnable and we have to believe they are – the result at Charlton needs to be a stepping stone now.

“We need points over the next four or five games.”

It may be easier said than done but for Moxey it is just a case of being happy back in the thick of it and being able to do his bit.

The former Crystal Palace defender was one of the bright spots in a sluggish start to the campaign as he found form at the beginning of his second full season at the club.

But a toe injury curtailed that and after a spell playing through the pain barrier with the help of injections, he was forced to sit out two months of action.

He has been back for three games now and feels like he is involved again as the fight to get Wanderers away from the bottom goes on.

His return has been a boost to Neil Lennon and the more players the boss can get back into the team and off the sick list, the better the chances of survival will be.

It is a fact not lost on Moxey who saw Zach Clough follow him out of the treatment room and back into the team at Charlton.

And he says the young forward's return is a timely one.

Moxey added: "Cloughy came back and was fantastic and made a big difference holding up the ball, running at their defenders and giving them problems on Tuesday.

“We need our best players. He is one of, if not, the best player out there and I’m sure he’ll have a bright future in this game.

“When we saw him back fit it was obviously a lift for us.

"He brings strength, pace and fingers crossed he’ll get some goals."

Source

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

We certainly can't go any further backwards can we? Sad

However it's nice to see that some of the players are now (publicly at least) backing themselves and Neil to improve the results and maybe even our league position. It's been too long since we heard much of anything from them so this new positive outlook is quite welcome. I'm also glad to see Dean giving Zach a glowing endorsement, it shows there may be a bit more team spirit left in the dressing room than we thought.  :clap: :good:

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum