Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rachubka: Players are in union over survival hopes

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Paul Rachubka used to cast an envious glance towards the Macron Stadium as he drove by on his way to Accrington Stanley – but he could hardly have envisaged what would await him when he finally arrived.

The well-travelled keeper, who filled in for the suspended Ben Amos in Tuesday night’s 3-2 FA Cup victory over non-league Eastleigh, is likely to step down to the bench again for tomorrow’s must-win clash against his former club MK Dons.

But behind the scenes at Wanderers the 34-year-old, brought in on a free transfer at the start of the season, has been fulfilling a much more important role than many will give him credit for.

As part of the management committee of the players’ union, the PFA, Rachubka has been a vital link of communication is the club’s hour of need.

Rachubka is quick to point out the PFA is more than just a fire-fighter in football; “We do tend to only get publicity when a club has hit financial trouble or a player has done something they shouldn’t have,” he added. But he also explained how the union has helped him secure coaching badges, sort out a contractual issue at Oldham Athletic and gain an education that will serve him beyond his playing years.

Emile Heskey is the players’ delegate at Wanderers and between them, the pair have managed to keep their team-mates informed during what has been an uncertain period.

“It has been hard at Bolton because this is a club that hasn’t missed a payment in 20 years,” he said of the wage situation, which was eased in December with the help of the PFA.

“I’ve lived in the area and you’d drive past and think ‘I wish I was getting off here’ – then I’d be down the road to Accrington.

“Everyone has opinions in football and in this kind of situation they can spread quickly, and leave people not knowing what to believe.

“The club is obviously right up against it and given its history, people are asking how could it have come to this?

“But we have to grab an opportunity to right the wrongs, on and off the pitch.”

Rachubka was in goal in MK Dons’ first-ever game in their modern reincarnation, having joined the club on loan from Huddersfield Town in August 2004 when they hosted Barnsley at the National Hockey Stadium.

Since then, the club no-one wanted to succeed has done just that. And Rachubka is glad to see the Dons flourish.

“I actually quite liked Milton Keynes when I was down there,” he said. “I think it’s something you either love or hate.

“I didn’t know much about the franchise aspect, or sense much about the older Wimbledon with all the Crazy Gang stuff.

“But looking back now they have done well. I am actually quite surprised the franchise idea doesn’t happen more often but I suppose the tradition in football makes that difficult.”

Victory tomorrow might just convince some of the doubting fans an escape from relegation is still possible. And Rachubka feels the mentality of the dressing room is becoming tougher.

“There are 18 or 19 games left and you have to treat them all like cup finals,” he said. “You have to realise that everyone starts nicking points off each other and I think the lads are getting that now. There is a different mood.

“I think it’s coming, you have to believe it, but I’ve been in this situation before at Crewe and at Accrington and it’s no fun. But the minute you stop believing you can get out of it, that’s it.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum