Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pop music all time low?

+8
TheHateCamel
Hipster_Nebula
Reebok Trotter
Natasha Whittam
Angry Dad
largehat
Banks of the Croal
doffcocker
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Pop music all time low? Empty Pop music all time low? Sun Jun 17 2012, 23:59

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I hate the radio and most of my music isn't charts material, but in the past, there's been lots of stuff in the charts that I've liked despite it not being the sort of thing I'd ordinarily like.

For instance, this is everything I don't normally like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTiaKzDFDmY

but I love it.

At the moment, pop songs are so contrived and boring. The only person out there at the moment that I rate is Emile Sande.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwHe0ddggig

2Pop music all time low? Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 01:01

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I can't really comment on the music/charts of today, because it's not aimed at my age group.

But i thought a lot of the music from the 80's , was shite.

Biggest imo was Duran Duran...

3Pop music all time low? Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 01:31

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I haven't paid attention to the charts since the early 90s. I could not name a single number one of this year. I could take a couple of guesses but that's what they would be.

I'd rather have my testicles removed than listen to Radio 1. It's bad enough getting home from Glastonbury each year and having to put up with the Radio 1 presenters' bullshit when I watch the highlights on Sky+. I only listen to 5 Live, World Service, 6 Music and very occasionally Radio 4 and 2.

4Pop music all time low? Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 02:33

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

It's been shit since 1970.

5Pop music all time low? Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 02:48

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Angry Dad wrote:It's been shit since 1970.

I'm surprised to read that from you, AD. You seem to have decent taste in music. Lots of great music in the 70s.... Led Zep, Queen, The Who, ELO, Fleetwood Mac, John Lennon, Paul Simon, Elton John - all at the height of their powers during the 70s.

6Pop music all time low? Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 03:47

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

largehat wrote:
Angry Dad wrote:It's been shit since 1970.

I'm surprised to read that from you, AD. You seem to have decent taste in music. Lots of great music in the 70s.... Led Zep, Queen, The Who, ELO, Fleetwood Mac, John Lennon, Paul Simon, Elton John - all at the height of their powers during the 70s.
for me there's pop music as in Duran, mud, slade, brotherhood of man, what I call shit. Then there's the who, Lennon, McCartney, s&g all fair in the 70's but not the force of the 60's. To be honest it died for me with the end of the Beatles. Never to have that magic again. They brought out the best in the stones,s&g ,beach boys,the who.pre disco bee gees. Music will never have that magic again,same with Ali ,Frazier, foreman,Liston in boxing. 60-70 was the time in history for me. I have one band out of the following who I love the rest I like . As a Beatles fanatic I doubt you will guess the one band that kept me interested in music. They are genesis-pink floyd-Peter Gabriel-Kate bush- all great but one was key in bringing me out of my Beatles depression. By the way loved Peter greens mac only not the shit one with nicks, hated queen give me 10cc or police any day. Wouldn't,t cross the road to see U2 or elo unless it was Roy woods elo.

7Pop music all time low? Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 03:52

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I have no time for any of today's music , I do like Coldplay though.

8Pop music all time low? Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 03:57

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I am not having sleeping difficulties it's only 10-30 pm Sunday eve here.

9Pop music all time low? Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 04:44

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Angry Dad wrote: I have one band out of the following who I love the rest I like . As a Beatles fanatic I doubt you will guess the one band that kept me interested in music. They are genesis-pink floyd-Peter Gabriel-Kate bush- all great but one was key in bringing me out of my Beatles depression.

I would instinctively guess at the Floyd because of their skill and experimentation, but different strokes and all that...

I get the distinction you made earlier in your post, I do think there is a lot to be said for 70s popular music though. I don't want to get into a mindset where I think that unless I see a drum kit and a couple of guitars in a band they are not very good. I saw Kool and the Gang on the West Holts Stage at Glastonbury last year and it was brilliant fun. Bopping away to 'Get Down On It' and 'That's The Way I Like It', they did a 15 minute version of 'Jungle Boogie'. 70s 'pop' acts like that rightly have a prominent place in history. It;s not musical genius on the level of Lennon or Waters or anyone like that, but there are very few pop songs today like that.

It's not fashionable to like Coldplay but they are immense live. Their first three albums, Parachutes, A Rush of Blood to the Head and X&Y were superb. The two most recent albums, Viva La Vida and Mylo Xyloto don't have the same edge.

You should give Muse a go, particularly 'Absolution' from 2004. I saw them perform most of that album, in the set I have posted below, and they have that epic, otherworldly feel that the Floyd had at their best, and they rock. Watching that performance up on the hill, it almost brought me to tears to be honest. I think they are the only modern band that have the progressive genius of The Beatles or Floyd.

Oh and a little amateur footage from Jungle Boogie

Last edited by largehat on Mon Jun 18 2012, 04:55; edited 2 times in total

10Pop music all time low? Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 04:48

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

One of my all time favourite live performances this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpEP_gzDCuE

11Pop music all time low? Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 05:01

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Can't have a conversation about 21st century bands without mentioning my personal favourites. Thie is Franz Ferdinand from 2009 - I chose seeing them for the 4th time over a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see Bruce Springsteen - no choice for me. I was about 10 from the front for this.

They're modern successors to the arthouse bands like Gang of Four.

12Pop music all time low? Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 09:44

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't think pop music is much different today than it has ever been, I think it's us that tend to change. What you liked when you were 14 is probably very different to what you listen to today.

13Pop music all time low? Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 10:53

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I listen to Smooth Radio on my way to work in the morning. It helps to soothe me.

14Pop music all time low? Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 15:03

Muse have had a couple of catchy tunes, but they are wildly overrated. Matt Bellamy annoys me beyond belief and has one of the most depressing voices I've ever heard, most of their music is pretentious and over indulgent, to compare them to Pink Floyd or the Beatles is a joke.

15Pop music all time low? Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 15:05

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Origin of Symmetry was a 10/10 album for me.

They've never got close to them heights since, not even remotely.

I saw them in Wolverhampton just after the release of Origin and they were superb, saw them again at Reading in '02 and they were even better.

16Pop music all time low? Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 15:18

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc1874 wrote:Muse have had a couple of catchy tunes, but they are wildly overrated. Matt Bellamy annoys me beyond belief and has one of the most depressing voices I've ever heard, most of their music is pretentious and over indulgent, to compare them to Pink Floyd or the Beatles is a joke.

No, it's not a joke, I happen to have a different opinion than you. If I want to compare any aspect of any band to any other, that's my prerogative. You disagree, go and listen to something you like instead then, bully for you.

17Pop music all time low? Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 15:28

Christ, what a reaction, clearly you don't enjoy being disagreed with.

Your welcome to your opinion I was merely voicing mine, and in my eyes putting them alongside the Beatles or Pink Floyd is a joke, I'm not telling you not to say it am I? I am allowed to disagree and that's what I did.

18Pop music all time low? Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 15:42

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc1874 wrote:Christ, what a reaction, clearly you don't enjoy being disagreed with.

Your welcome to your opinion I was merely voicing mine, and in my eyes putting them alongside the Beatles or Pink Floyd is a joke, I'm not telling you not to say it am I? I am allowed to disagree and that's what I did.

Well perhaps if you feel I am welcome to my opinion, and don't like it when people react strongly to your posts, you shouldn't rubbish their views. It's music, nobody likes exactly the same thing. Quite happy to admit I don't like having my views trashed.

19Pop music all time low? Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 15:44

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I used to be seriously passionate about music, like i would be seriously pissed off if someone slagged off a band i liked.

I would also go in on people who liked bands i thought were shit.

No longer have any passion for it I'm afraid.

20Pop music all time low? Empty Re: Pop music all time low? Mon Jun 18 2012, 15:44

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

No, it's not a joke, I happen to have a different opinion than you. If I want to compare any aspect of any band to any other, that's my prerogative.

I actually agree with LH on this one. For me Public Enemy are the greatest band of all time, better than the Beatles, Pink Floyd etc.

People will no doubt mock my stance, but who is someone else to say what music is to me?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum