Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Super-sub Dobbie set to stay in reserve

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Penalty king Stephen Dobbie looks set to continue his role as super sub at Wanderers.

The Scottish striker came off the bench to score an stoppage-time equaliser against Ipswich Town in midweek and was praised for his nerve by manager Neil Lennon.

But the 33-year-old still looks unlikely to start against Preston North End tomorrow with Lennon feeling he is more tailored to affecting a game from the bench.

“Stephen is fit enough to be starting games but I have always found him to be more of an impact player off the bench.

“You always feel he can go on and nick you a goal, and he’s done that for us a few times this season.”

Dobbie has made just two starts since signing on a free transfer in the summer, with a further 18 appearances made as a substitute.

His three goals, against Nottingham Forest, Wolves and Ipswich, have all been scored after starting the game on the subs’ bench.

Lennon came in for stick from the Macron fans after bringing off young talisman Zach Clough in the latter stages on Tuesday night and putting the more experienced head of Dobbie alongside Gary Madine up front.

He also waited until the 11th hour to introduce Wellington Silva, who won the penalty six minutes into added time.

But Lennon stands by his record on substitutions – pointing to the fact that nearly a fifth of Wanderers’ goals this season have been scored by replacements.

“Sometimes you make decisions that are really unpopular but I have to look at the game without emotion and make the decision I think is right,” Lennon said.

“I thought Stephen’s contribution was really good. And Welly won the penalty.

“Maybe in hindsight we could have used them a little earlier but I think the point has been made that my substitute conversion rate is pretty good.”

Lennon also defended his choice to leave Lawrie Wilson out of the first-team reckoning since September.

The defender was loaned out to Peterborough United in League One and had not kicked a ball in the Championship since September before getting a start against Ipswich and scoring the first goal in the comeback.

Asked if the 28-year-old was unlucky not to have played more football the manager said, “no, not really.

“It’s frustrating that you have to rely on a defender to get you back in the game. We missed two or three great opportunities in the first half and then two or three more before finding ourselves two down.

“He did well, Lawrie, and I thought he took his goal brilliantly.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum