Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 0-0 Charlton

+16
wanderlust
Lard Lad
gloswhite
rammywhite
boltonbonce
Bolton Nuts
luckyPeterpiper
Keegan
scottjames30
doffcocker
Natasha Whittam
Jack Russell
Boggersbelief
MartinBWFC
Norpig
karlypants
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

41Bolton 0-0 Charlton  - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-0 Charlton Wed Apr 20 2016, 13:17

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:True, but with the immediate debt paid off, my understanding is that in order to have the embargo lifted, the club merely have to conform to the FL monitoring criteria. I think I read something to the effect that the club voluntarily chose not to seek the lifting of the embargo for now.
Why would they do something that stupid? With all the troubles we have you'd think getting the embargo lifted would be a huge priority. I find it impossible to believe a club would deliberately hamstring themselves that way especially after the season we've had. 

I don't know where you heard that but I'll have a look and see if I can find it because the last I saw on this issue was a statement by the FL (repeated on the BWFC website) that the embargo would remain in place until the league had received some overdue books. 

To the best of my knowledge that hasn't happened yet and there's been no confirmation that SS even have or know the location of the 'missing' accounts. There was a short statement on BWFC that said 'steps are being taken to rectify the situation with regard to the transfer embargo and resolve this matter as soon as possible' but that was about two days after the takeover and I've not seen a peep since. Of course that may mean I simply missed it so if you do happen to remember later where you saw that could you please let me know? 
Don't see what the fuss is about as the window does not open until July. As long as the embargo is lifted by the time the window opens then there is no problem. Lifting of the embargo can be done swiftly.
In the meantime there is nothing to stop negotiations with prospective players taking place and agreements being made, which can only be ratified by the Football League on the 1st July.

42Bolton 0-0 Charlton  - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-0 Charlton Wed Apr 20 2016, 13:53

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Slashed wrists galore next season if that game was a taste of things to come.

43Bolton 0-0 Charlton  - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-0 Charlton Wed Apr 20 2016, 15:26

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I can't believe over 12,000 fans turned up for this match.

44Bolton 0-0 Charlton  - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-0 Charlton Wed Apr 20 2016, 15:44

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Cajunboy wrote:I can't believe over 12,000 fans turned up for this match.
They didn't.

45Bolton 0-0 Charlton  - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-0 Charlton Wed Apr 20 2016, 16:09

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:True, but with the immediate debt paid off, my understanding is that in order to have the embargo lifted, the club merely have to conform to the FL monitoring criteria. I think I read something to the effect that the club voluntarily chose not to seek the lifting of the embargo for now.
Why would they do something that stupid? With all the troubles we have you'd think getting the embargo lifted would be a huge priority. I find it impossible to believe a club would deliberately hamstring themselves that way especially after the season we've had. 

I don't know where you heard that but I'll have a look and see if I can find it because the last I saw on this issue was a statement by the FL (repeated on the BWFC website) that the embargo would remain in place until the league had received some overdue books. 

To the best of my knowledge that hasn't happened yet and there's been no confirmation that SS even have or know the location of the 'missing' accounts. There was a short statement on BWFC that said 'steps are being taken to rectify the situation with regard to the transfer embargo and resolve this matter as soon as possible' but that was about two days after the takeover and I've not seen a peep since. Of course that may mean I simply missed it so if you do happen to remember later where you saw that could you please let me know? Thanks.
Can't remember exactly LPP but think it was a Deano quote shortly after they coughed up the HMRC dosh.
Anderson mentioned "a competitive budget" for next year but I can only assume that if it includes current players in contract then the budget's already blown.
We don't necessarily have to buy if Samizadeh and others come through next season I suppose, but we certainly need better then we have in those departments otherwise we're dead in the water.

46Bolton 0-0 Charlton  - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-0 Charlton Wed Apr 20 2016, 17:39

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Barrjw I totally disagree. When the window opens is irrelevant, the very existence of the embargo will be enough to put off any prospective target from even entering negotiations with us. It needs to be gone already because most clubs will be eyeing up their targets for the summer already even if they can't make a formal deal yet. What the embargo does provide is a tailor made excuse for us not signing anyone when the window does open without SS coming out to publicly say "We're already skint and can't buy a pack of hob knobs let alone a striker." They can lay the blame at the previous administration's feet and say it wasn't their fault and (perhaps) that they still don't have the books the FL required when the embargo was imposed. 

lusty, the Anderson interview made it fairly clear that the budget was dependent on us shifting at least some of the higher paid players who are still under contract with us. I don't see that happening do you? 

I would love to be wrong about all this but I fear that our slide is going to continue for some time yet and that we're going to struggle next season at least. On and off the pitch things are still in a dreadful mess and I believe that's going to continue for some time yet.

47Bolton 0-0 Charlton  - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-0 Charlton Thu Apr 21 2016, 11:28

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

luckyPeterpiper wrote:Barrjw I totally disagree. When the window opens is irrelevant, the very existence of the embargo will be enough to put off any prospective target from even entering negotiations with us. It needs to be gone already because most clubs will be eyeing up their targets for the summer already even if they can't make a formal deal yet. What the embargo does provide is a tailor made excuse for us not signing anyone when the window does open without SS coming out to publicly say "We're already skint and can't buy a pack of hob knobs let alone a striker." They can lay the blame at the previous administration's feet and say it wasn't their fault and (perhaps) that they still don't have the books the FL required when the embargo was imposed. 

lusty, the Anderson interview made it fairly clear that the budget was dependent on us shifting at least some of the higher paid players who are still under contract with us. I don't see that happening do you? 

I would love to be wrong about all this but I fear that our slide is going to continue for some time yet and that we're going to struggle next season at least. On and off the pitch things are still in a dreadful mess and I believe that's going to continue for some time yet.
You are of course entitled to your opinion and may be correct............Only time will tell.
My comments were based on the experience of being involved with professional football clubs over a number of years in particular with player recruitment. Having seen what happens in the background by scouting/agents in my discussions with them, I am sure something will be happening already. Indeed I believe approaches have been made to Premier league clubs for the loan of two young players for next season.
Yes we are in a hell of a mess but this can be overcome in time.
As I say only time will tell. We will have a better idea of our position over probably the next twelve months.

48Bolton 0-0 Charlton  - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-0 Charlton Thu Apr 21 2016, 11:35

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not sure about recruitment. Naturally I would have thought from the financial info in the public domain that the only way to buy would be to sell or at least substantially reduce the wage bill (much further than the players who are out of contract in June) first.
However, Andy Townsend has been brought in to help with recruitment so why would they do that if they didn't intend to buy? Perhaps negotiating loans from Chelsea or Villa?  

They say that poor communication was the downfall of ED and PG but there's a helluva lot that Deano and Anderson are not telling us and that's a concern.

49Bolton 0-0 Charlton  - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-0 Charlton Thu Apr 21 2016, 13:28

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Regarding the current state of affairs you have to wonder what would be the point of trying to return to the Champs on the first try. If we did get back up then more money would have to be found to support that. So if reports have any truth in them we will not be financially straight for a couple of years ... back to my original question from months ago....why did SS take this over....I still don't know.

50Bolton 0-0 Charlton  - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-0 Charlton Thu Apr 21 2016, 13:47

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Barry I really hope you're right but how many times have we seen a report like this?

"X player has today agreed personal terms with y club and will formally sign for them on 1st July on a z year deal." 

A lot of deals are done and dusted long before the official window opens and it's especially true in the summer when may players have contracts that end on June 30th. Pre-contract agreements are very common too and as things stand we can't do any of that so we'll already be falling behind on July 1st even if we get the embargo lifted in June. I don't expect us to be making marquee signings of course but I think even the most myopic trotter would admit our squad is severely weak in all areas and needs some fresh blood fast.

51Bolton 0-0 Charlton  - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-0 Charlton Thu Apr 21 2016, 14:47

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

luckyPeterpiper wrote:Barry I really hope you're right but how many times have we seen a report like this?

"X player has today agreed personal terms with y club and will formally sign for them on 1st July on a z year deal." 

A lot of deals are done and dusted long before the official window opens and it's especially true in the summer when may players have contracts that end on June 30th. Pre-contract agreements are very common too and as things stand we can't do any of that so we'll already be falling behind on July 1st even if we get the embargo lifted in June. I don't expect us to be making marquee signings of course but I think even the most myopic trotter would admit our squad is severely weak in all areas and needs some fresh blood fast.
Peter you may well be correct but embargo or not this does not preclude deals being done or more likely approaches for possible availability to be made. Any such dealings will not be made public for obvious reasons. The management will have expectations of ratification of any deal to be processed by the FL. I think Anderson has already mentioned this. We all know the desperation of our position squad wise for the new season.
I have previously said only time will tell.  As fans we have no alternative but to wait the outcome nervously as any deals finalized will only be revealed maybe by July.

52Bolton 0-0 Charlton  - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-0 Charlton Thu Apr 21 2016, 16:05

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Of course barry I wouldn't expect trumpets and drums surrounding potential deals. What concerns me is that players won't be willing to even enter negotiations with the embargo still in place. After all what's the point in agreeing a deal unless you know you'll be able to sign it. I sincerely hope we'll be able to make signings and would hope targets are being assessed and approached as we speak but my main point is that anyone we approach will view us with a jaundiced eye when we still can't actually honour any deal that may be agreed. The very existence of the embargo must be enough to make any agent (even more important than the player in this context) think twice about allowing us to talk to his client as well. 

As you say only time will tell but if one thing has proven to be certain over the last couple of years time is one thing we've not got an abundance of if we're to arrest the slide both on and off the field. SS have dealt with some of the off field stuff for now but the embargo remains the biggest threat to solving several other problems both on and off that still plague us. That's why I believe it not just to be highly relevant but incredibly damaging to our club. SS need to sort it pronto and get it lifted because it's damaging our reputation even further.

53Bolton 0-0 Charlton  - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-0 Charlton Thu Apr 21 2016, 16:41

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't think the embargo is going to be a big deal as recent press releases re next years budget and squad rebuilding etc were released as if the embargo didn't exist so they must be very confident.
If there's a benefit in the club not seeking to get the embargo lifted right now - perhaps a cost attached to the process - the club may discuss deals in principle in order to ascertain whether it would be worthwhile seeking to have the embargo lifted.
But I'd expect a good management team to be establishing ongoing dialogues and keeping their ears to the ground anyway.
Whether Deano's lot are a good management team remains to be seen, but they'd do well to be worse than the last bunch of cowboys.

54Bolton 0-0 Charlton  - Page 3 Empty Re: Bolton 0-0 Charlton Thu Apr 21 2016, 16:52

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

wanderlust wrote:I don't think the embargo is going to be a big deal as recent press releases re next years budget and squad rebuilding etc were released as if the embargo didn't exist so they must be very confident.
If there's a benefit in the club not seeking to get the embargo lifted right now - perhaps a cost attached to the process - the club may discuss deals in principle in order to ascertain whether it would be worthwhile seeking to have the embargo lifted.
But I'd expect a good management team to be establishing ongoing dialogues and keeping their ears to the ground anyway.
Whether Deano's lot are a good management team remains to be seen, but they'd do well to be worse than the last bunch of cowboys.
:agree:

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum