Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Phil Parkinson given assurance transfer embargo will be lifted

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

New boss Phil Parkinson has wasted no time tackling Wanderers’ owners head-on about the club’s transfer embargo.

The 48-year-old will get straight to work on improving his squad after receiving assurances from Ken Anderson that the restrictions will be lifted quickly.

After signing a two-year deal, Parkinson cut an impressive figure in his first press conference and refused to make promises on where he felt the Whites should be aiming this season until he has had a chance to look at his players in closer proximity.

But he quickly underlined the message of how crucial lifting the embargo was to Wanderers' fortunes.

“The bottom line is that the club needs players,” he told The Bolton News. “The stadium and the name of the club will not be what gets it to the top of the league next year, it will be the quality of the team.

“There are some quality players here but the squad is nowhere near big enough.”

Given the financial problems faced by Wanderers in the last 12 months, Parkinson’s decision to jump ship from Bradford City – a club relatively settled and under new German ownership – has raised eyebrows in the football world.

He insisted, however, that he was fully aware of the task facing him at the Macron Stadium.

“I have asked the questions and got all the answers I felt I needed.

“Lifting the embargo was the key part of my conversation and that is going to be dealt with – Ken (Anderson) has got a meeting in the next week or so and he’s confident that we will move forward and get some players in.

“The club has had some difficult times but there has been a lot of work gone on behind the scenes to get the club moving back in the right direction again, and that’s why the job really appealed to me.

“There is a lot of work that goes on that sometimes supporters don’t see. I have come here in the belief that we will attract players at the top end of this division at least.”

Parkinson will be joined by assistant manager Steve Parkin, sports science chief Nick Allenby and goalkeeping coach Lee Butler.

Source

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It would be interesting to know who has given him this assurance. As it was been imposed by the FA its not really up to Ken Anderson to give any assurances as its not in his gift to have it lifted.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

It was imposed by the FL and FFP and you have to assume that PP didn't just take anecdotal evidence that it will be removed before deciding to take the job, therefore KA would have shown him what was needed to remove it and whats in place to make it happen.
While some of the comments coming from KA and his son have been naive in terms of PA, he clearly isn't an idiot and will know whats needed to get it removed.

Again though......Anderson showing Parkinson some numbers on a spreadsheet proves nothing.

Talk's cheap, it's substance we need.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

To be fair to Anderson...

People screamed the wages would not be paid on time - they were.

People screamed we would not get a manager - we did (a good one too).

Some people screamed the taxman's bill due on the 10th June would not be paid - I can't hear them screaming now?

People screamed Anderson won't put any money into the club - well someone paid the wages and paid compensation for the manager and his backroom staff.

People scream the transfer embargo will not be lifted...

Anybody see a bit of a pattern emerging here?

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:To be fair to Anderson...

Some people screamed the taxman's bill due on the 10thJune would not be paid - I can't hear them screaming now?

People screamed Anderson won't put any money into the club - well someone paid the wages and paid compensation for the manager and his backroom staff.

Sluffy,
I don't think anyone's screaming about the transfer embargo being lifted- they're querying Andersen's ability to give assurances that it will  be when it won't be his decision as to whether its lifted or not.
All the other things that you mentioned were in his power- they needed an injection of cash to pay the bills. Appointing a manager was his prerogative. All were done- and thankfully so.
But the latest part of the litany of things to put right is the embargo. It might just need an injection of cash to do so- but it depends on satisfying the powers that be that certain conditions ( and I haven't a clue what they are) have been met.
I hope he does succeed in getting it lifted and then like others I'll feel more optimistic that we hit rock bottom some time ago and things can only get better.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I agree the only negative so far with the new owners has in my opinion been naive PR which has bitten them on the arse a couple of times, hopefully that will improve as they learn but with regards to the whole haven't got a pot to piss in scaremongering things appear to be moving along Ok now.
Dare we hope that we have the right people in charge, maybe they aren't billionaires but they are both involved in investment groups, and if we go up this season then new investment will be easier to attract next season.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

rammywhite wrote:

Some people screamed the taxman's bill due on the 10thJune would not be paid - I can't hear them screaming now?

Sluffy,
I don't think anyone's screaming about the transfer embargo being lifted- they're querying Andersen's ability to give assurances that it will  be when it won't be his decision as to whether its lifted or not.
All the other things that you mentioned were in his power- they needed an injection of cash to pay the bills. Appointing a manager was his prerogative. All were done- and thankfully so.
But the latest part of the litany of things to put right is the embargo. It might just need an injection of cash to do so- but it depends on satisfying the powers that be that certain conditions ( and I haven't a clue what they are) have been met.
I hope he does succeed in getting it lifted and then like others I'll feel more optimistic that we hit rock bottom some time ago and things can only get better.
My understanding is an injection of cash isn't needed for the embargo to be lifted, there are 2 embargo's on us currently one from FFP for not submitting a forecast which is a paperwork exercise and now we know what our management team are going to cost shouldn't be too difficult to do and the other from the FL for not submitting accounts which again is a paperwork exercise and can be cleared.
In terms of finances being in place that comes more under the umbrella of the special conditions imposed by the FL where they will be monitoring our finances month by month, that is completely separate to the embargo and is in place because of the rushed nature of the takeover.

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Cheers Whatsgoingon- you seem to be particularly well informed about all of this

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

rammywhite wrote:

Sluffy,

I would be absolutely amazed if Anderson didn't know what exactly the Football League requires to lift the embargo - wouldn't you?

I don't doubt he will delivery that requirement when he judges it the right time to do so to.

Up to now and despite a massive character assassination campaign attempt on the social media, Anderson has quietly gone about his business and delivered what has been required as per his timescales and not those the 'fans' may have wanted.

Maybe, just maybe, he knows what is best for his own business than the lynch mob seemingly out to get him?

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Some people screamed the taxman's bill due on the 10th June would not be paid - I can't hear them screaming now?

:like:

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

rammywhite wrote:Cheers Whatsgoingon- you seem to be particularly well informed about all of this
just what I've heard and read mate, not any secret contacts but right from the word go our embargo was different to anyone else's.
For 2 reasons:

1. the reasons for it being in place, it wasn't breach of FFP rules in terms of spending it was the fact we didn't submit our forecasts.
  2. our embargo was absolute, we couldn't register any new contracts with the FL, which included renewing contracts for players over 24 and more famously not being able to register a player who was prepared to play for free. 

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:
rammywhite wrote:

Sluffy,

I would be absolutely amazed if Anderson didn't know what exactly the Football League requires to lift the embargo - wouldn't you?

I don't doubt he will delivery that requirement when he judges it the right time to do so to.

Up to now and despite a massive character assassination campaign attempt on the social media, Anderson has quietly gone about his business and delivered what has been required as per his timescales and not those the 'fans' may have wanted.

Maybe, just maybe, he knows what is best for his own business than the lynch mob seemingly out to get him?

Now things are moving the timescale makes perfect sense, it was pointless having extra costs on the wage bill for June when realistically it was money down the drain. Now planning for the new season is starting in earnest and all the out of contract players are off the books he has acted decisively.
And hopefully will continue to do so.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum