Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wacky Judges

+7
yesbutno
Banks of the Croal
gloswhite
Sluffy
largehat
Reebok Trotter
Angry Dad
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Fri Jul 06 2012, 00:04

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Slightly ot, once worked at a place in my teens and one of the owners was a JP.

Somebody wrote derogatory remarks about the cunt on our staff room wall.

So he being a clever cunt he decided he was a Handwriting expert and made us give him a sample of our Handwriting... outcome being he blamed me for it.
It wasn't... best of all though he sentenced me to 6 months... silly old twat.

22Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Fri Jul 06 2012, 09:16

yesbutno

yesbutno
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

I would never read the Sun (or the Mail or the Express) disgusting rags.

I remember seeing the headlines in the Sun once which more or less accused a Coronation Street actor of being a peodofile. The case didn't go to court, the man was not charged I don't think he was even arrested. Whenever he meets someone now, in the back of their will be this Sun non-story. But what do they care. Sell them papers is all that matters.

23Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Fri Jul 06 2012, 11:06

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

yesbutno wrote:I would never read the Sun (or the Mail or the Express) disgusting rags.

I remember seeing the headlines in the Sun once which more or less accused a Coronation Street actor of being a peodofile. The case didn't go to court, the man was not charged I don't think he was even arrested. Whenever he meets someone now, in the back of their will be this Sun non-story. But what do they care. Sell them papers is all that matters.

I take it you are referring to the 1983 case of Peter Adamson and his extra mural activities at Haslingden baths ?

It cost him £120,000 to defend himself and he was acquitted by the jury. Back then, the prosecution were not allowed to mention any previous shenanigans at the baths so he was only charged with the one offence with the undercover policewoman bather as the principal witness. Back then they did not have the capability to video interview children which made the prosecution's case a difficult one.

It was actually the staff at the Leisure centre that raised concerns with the police about his conduct, but again, back in 1983 there were no CCTV cameras in the swimming baths.

24Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Fri Jul 06 2012, 13:26

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Reebok Trotter wrote:
yesbutno wrote:I would never read the Sun (or the Mail or the Express) disgusting rags.

I take it you are referring to the 1983 case of Peter Adamson and his extra mural activities at Haslingden baths ?

It cost him £120,000 to defend himself and he was acquitted by the jury. Back then, the prosecution were not allowed to mention any previous shenanigans at the baths so he was only charged with the one offence with the undercover policewoman bather as the principal witness. Back then they did not have the capability to video interview children which made the prosecution's case a difficult one.

It was actually the staff at the Leisure centre that raised concerns with the police about his conduct, but again, back in 1983 there were no CCTV cameras in the swimming baths.
He,s been dead for 10 years but what a tragic end to his life a skint old man shuffling to the corner shop in his slippers for cheap lable food .Can never understand these people that are loaded piss it all away on booze.

25Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Fri Jul 06 2012, 14:10

Quent

Quent
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Angry Dad wrote:Can never understand these people that are loaded piss it all away on booze.

He should have spent it on fanny instead.

26Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Fri Jul 06 2012, 14:54

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Angry Dad wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:

He,s been dead for 10 years but what a tragic end to his life a skint old man shuffling to the corner shop in his slippers for cheap lable food .Can never understand these people that are loaded piss it all away on booze.

I know the people that ran the shop he used to shuffle to - it's my only claim to fame.

27Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Fri Jul 06 2012, 17:42

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I read the Sun, and I know its a comic, and rarely take the comments into account when I read the stuff. Page 2 political stuff isn't too bad, nor the financial or sports coverage. The rest you read and take what you believe out of it.

My point is this: I know its a comic, and ignore the silly innuendo's, remarks, etc, and accept them for what they are, whereas the people who read the broadsheets, feel they are reading an 'intelligent' newspaper, (probably true), and are more likely to agree with what they read, as they feel this is the right 'level' of reporting. I really do feel that they are more likely to be influenced by what they read, than I am.

With the case mentioned, it doesn't matter how something was reported, but the story itself, and there is often a delay before some of the bigger newspapers picking up stories, as they wait for press agencies to flag it up. I think in this case the Sun and other papers had different connections. I haven't read a paper for days, so I don't know if this story is now being circulated more widely.

28Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Fri Jul 06 2012, 21:38

yesbutno

yesbutno
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

RT, no I'm not referring to that case 20 odd years ago, but a story that appeared this year. I say a story because that's all it was. The man wasn't even arrested (I don't think) and definitely not charged. It didn't get to court but certainly got to the front page of the Sun.

Glowhite Say's it doesn't matter how something is reported but the story itself. This statement is worthy of a Sun reporter. Of course it matters how a story is reported, that is the whole point. A Sun reporter can present a story (or non-story) in such a way that will not be too challenging i.e. no words with more than seven letters and no paragraph with more than five sentences. The attention span of the reader mustn't be too taxed. If the possible story is to do with sex and or a celeb, then all the better and if it's not true (but not liable) then who cares. Now then what crap can we print tomorrow.

PS, how many copies of the Sun are sold in Liverpool now, even after so many years since Hillsborough.

29Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Fri Jul 06 2012, 22:22

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Gloswhite say's that people who read a broadsheet feel they are reading an 'intelligent' paper. Why on earth would anyone waste their time reading one that they thought wasn't?

30Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Sat Jul 07 2012, 11:46

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Yesbutno. I don't know what makes you feel so superior to Sun readers, and I doubt very much they are all as stupid as you seem to make out. I reiterate my point that it doesn't matter how a story is reported. When I read a story, I consider the points, outcomes, etc, and actually think for myself. If you are unable to review the information you are given without analysing it and considering the reporters take on it, then that is your option. Do you believe all the stories you hear, or read, becausee it was presented nicely (i.e. close to your own philosophy) ? The comment about Liverpool is both good and bad. We know why they don't read it in Liverpool (quite rightly), but how do you account for the paper being the most widely read, including politicians, in the country ? Can't all be as stupid as you have convinced yourself.

Chipbutty. Its all to do with where one considers themselves to fit into society. The Sun is a populist paper, therefore is for the masses, and is dumbed down to cater for all lower level thinking people, (according to Yesbutno). However, some people will read the Sun because its quick, easy, and sometimes amusing. It fills in the time between watching the up-to-date news on the television. They read it for that reason, and not necessarily for its depth of reporting, or level of intelligence. The broadsheets take a completely different approach to presentation of a story to the likes of the Sun. An approach which some people would liken to interpretation and intelligence.

31Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Sat Jul 07 2012, 15:44

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

gloswhite wrote:how do you account for the paper being the most widely read, including politicians, in the country ? Can't all be as stupid as you have convinced yourself.

I don't think anyone would argue that everyone who reads The Sun is thick. People buy a certain newspaper regularly or daily for a variety of reasons. Price is one of them, another is how easy they are to read. Some people buy a newspaper just for its sports coverage or they like the TV magazine, or the crossword.

I do think it is fair to say that there are a lot of people out there who are influenced by the standpoint of The Sun and The Daily Mail. You don't have to be unintelligent to fall under their influence or manipulated by a biased article.

These newspapers are purposefully populist and deliberately appeal to a sensibility of outrage, injustice, jingoism and xenophobia that a lot of people have.

They play on fear.

Fear that foreigners are taking all the jobs, fear that the unemployed are milking the taxes of working people, fear that the NHS might let you down when you need it, fear that our streets are not safe, fear that the legal system doesn't deliver justice... I could go on.

Politicians and other key decision makers in the country read The Sun because they need to know what garbage the masses are having programmed into their thinking on a regular basis and as part of keeping their finger on the national pulse. They also hope for the support of The Sun because it is so influential.

As I said earlier in the thread, there's nothing wrong with reading The Sun so long as you are aware that you're not only reading the news you're also being told what to think about it.

32Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Sat Jul 07 2012, 16:55

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

largehat wrote:
gloswhite wrote:how do you account for the paper being the most widely read, including politicians, in the country ? Can't all be as stupid as you have convinced yourself.

I don't think anyone would argue that everyone who reads The Sun is thick. People buy a certain newspaper regularly or daily for a variety of reasons. Price is one of them, another is how easy they are to read. Some people buy a newspaper just for its sports coverage or they like the TV magazine, or the crossword.

I do think it is fair to say that there are a lot of people out there who are influenced by the standpoint of The Sun and The Daily Mail. You don't have to be unintelligent to fall under their influence or manipulated by a biased article.

These newspapers are purposefully populist and deliberately appeal to a sensibility of outrage, injustice, jingoism and xenophobia that a lot of people have.

They play on fear.

Fear that foreigners are taking all the jobs, fear that the unemployed are milking the taxes of working people, fear that the NHS might let you down when you need it, fear that our streets are not safe, fear that the legal system doesn't deliver justice... I could go on.

Politicians and other key decision makers in the country read The Sun because they need to know what garbage the masses are having programmed into their thinking on a regular basis and as part of keeping their finger on the national pulse. They also hope for the support of The Sun because it is so influential.

As I said earlier in the thread, there's nothing wrong with reading The Sun so long as you are aware that you're not only reading the news you're also being told what to think about it.
I agree with a lot of this, the sun is a very powerful paper look what it did to kinnock and labour. If i bought it it would only be for the football in season only.

33Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Sat Jul 07 2012, 17:46

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

LH, good points, well put, and the only thing I would add is that we are all influenced to greater lesser degrees, but its up to us to decide what the message is, and to add whatever credence we wish give it, then act accordingly, if so desired. If you believe the Sun too often, then you are in danger of becomng a lazy thinker, but this applies to all the papers.

AD, a very good reason, same as myself, and when I'm not trying to be erudite, I get it for the tits and the telly Very Happy

34Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Sat Jul 07 2012, 18:06

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

gloswhite wrote:LH, good points, well put, and the only thing I would add is that we are all influenced to greater lesser degrees, but its up to us to decide what the message is, and to add whatever credence we wish give it, then act accordingly, if so desired. If you believe the Sun too often, then you are in danger of becomng a lazy thinker, but this applies to all the papers.

AD, a very good reason, same as myself, and when I'm not trying to be erudite, I get it for the tits and the telly Very Happy
The Tits have been better of late,it went thru a fried egg phase for quite awhile now they seem to be getting bigger.Not that i,d get it for that but i do think its the best paper for sport.

35Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Sat Jul 07 2012, 18:11

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Me too Smile

36Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Sat Jul 07 2012, 18:12

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Angry Dad wrote:The Tits have been better of late,it went thru a fried egg phase

Laughing

37Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Sat Jul 07 2012, 18:22

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I should add to this thread that many years ago, when I was a student, I was sat in a lecture theatre along with 150 or so other students, waiting for the lecturer to arrive. I won't give his name but he is a leading professor of English literature and he was about to give a lecture on Thomas De Quincy's 'Confessions of an English Opium Eater'.

Anyway, he came in, and picked me out reading through The Sun. He called me out on it in front of all these other people. He said to me, "what do you think of The Sun's stance on immigration?". I replied "I think it's a disgrace. I don't see the act of buying a newspaper as overtly political." He replied "good answer", and started his lecture.

I later found out his wife was a migrant from Eastern Europe. A narrow escape.

38Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Sat Jul 07 2012, 18:31

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

But did he give you lots of help thereafter?

39Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Sat Jul 07 2012, 19:52

yesbutno

yesbutno
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

Gloss White, there are only so many hours in a day. If get your information and general view of the world/uk/economy and all the rest of it from the Sun and you wish to contribute to the Murdoch empire, I couldn't give a rats.

I loath the Sun with a passion but will admit it is a very clever publication. Its editors know what the casual reader wants to see. Tits, football, celebs, all lightweight stuff, nothing to demanding. But underneath all this floss is a subliminal message. Tory party good, Labour party bad.

This paper is deliberately set up to appeal to the working man. nothing wrong with that, I wish there were more of them, The Sun carefully gets the idea across that the unemployed, the single mums, the long term sick are all skivers and layabouts and a drain on the state, whilst the top end are all decent hardworking fair minded taxpayers (which we know is not the case).

40Wacky Judges - Page 2 Empty Re: Wacky Judges Sat Jul 07 2012, 21:03

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

ybn, you understimate me greatly. Read my post again, and you will see that my point of view is reasonably well balanced, at least I hope it is. I don't loathe any publication, whats the point? I get my information from many sources, its just one of the things I do. If I'm really honest, I haven't read it for a few weeks now, as I got bored with it, but I would still defend the argument that it plays an important part in today's overall media responsibility.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum