Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Owd blokes playing 5 a side

+3
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
wanderlust
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Owd blokes playing 5 a side Empty Owd blokes playing 5 a side Sat Jul 02 2016, 19:04

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Recently started getting involved in a regular game with a bunch of twenty-somethings and the standard isn't bad - a couple of the best play for Wroxham in the Ryman League North and are superfit. Unlike me.
I'm "gym" fit if that makes sense. I'm not carrying any extra weight at the moment and have good stamina, mainly from hours of aerobics and spinning classes - but it's not the same as "footie fit".
First game I played I pulled a muscle in my groin and it took a couple of weeks before I was confident enough to kick a ball again. Gradually got my legs working properly again and then in the last game my groin (other side) went and I'm still limping.
Obviously the missus and mates have taken the piss relentlessly - because they clearly think it's OK to tell someone they are too old to do stuff.
What worries me is that they might be right in this case.
I still have the skill although my reactions aren't quite what they were and I'm mobile and have nous so I can compete with the lads however two injuries in as many months is a real worry. In particular I've felt it in my hip adductors, quads and hip extensors.
Does anyone know if - despite proper warming up/down obvious precautions - certain movements in footie will tend to increase the propensity to injury in those areas in older people?

And is there anything sensible that can be done to prevent it? 

Please Note: I really don't fancy rubbing Fiery Jack or Elliman's anywhere near my groin area before a game!

I ask because after I pulled the groin the other day this bloke who had a few tricks ran rings round me and he'd been my bitch up until that point - and I don't want to quit now.

2Owd blokes playing 5 a side Empty Re: Owd blokes playing 5 a side Sat Jul 02 2016, 19:06

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

walking football for you now Lusty, just accept you're an old fogey

Last edited by Norpig on Sat Jul 02 2016, 19:06; edited 2 times in total

3Owd blokes playing 5 a side Empty Re: Owd blokes playing 5 a side Sat Jul 02 2016, 19:06

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Don't the other players get pissed off with you dragging the armchair around?

4Owd blokes playing 5 a side Empty Re: Owd blokes playing 5 a side Sat Jul 02 2016, 19:07

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You seem to be expecting a serious answer.  Good luck. Very Happy

5Owd blokes playing 5 a side Empty Re: Owd blokes playing 5 a side Sat Jul 02 2016, 19:10

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:Recently started getting involved in a regular game with a bunch of twenty-somethings and the standard isn't bad - a couple of the best play for Wroxham in the Ryman League North and are superfit. Unlike me.
I'm "gym" fit if that makes sense. I'm not carrying any extra weight at the moment and have good stamina, mainly from hours of aerobics and spinning classes - but it's not the same as "footie fit".
First game I played I pulled a muscle in my groin and it took a couple of weeks before I was confident enough to kick a ball again. Gradually got my legs working properly again and then in the last game my groin (other side) went and I'm still limping.
Obviously the missus and mates have taken the piss relentlessly - because they clearly think it's OK to tell someone they are too old to do stuff.
What worries me is that they might be right in this case.
I still have the skill although my reactions aren't quite what they were and I'm mobile and have nous so I can compete with the lads however two injuries in as many months is a real worry. In particular I've felt it in my hip adductors, quads and hip extensors.
Does anyone know if - despite proper warming up/down obvious precautions - certain movements in footie will tend to increase the propensity to injury in those areas in older people?

And is there anything sensible that can be done to prevent it? 

Please Note: I really don't fancy rubbing Fiery Jack or Elliman's anywhere near my groin area before a game!

I ask because after I pulled the groin the other day this bloke who had a few tricks ran rings round me and he'd been my bitch up until that point - and I don't want to quit now.
Getting old is a difficult thing to get your head round, if it's still fun and you're playing to enjoy it then it's no bad thing. But if you're playing because you're in denial or even worse to prove a point it will end in tears

6Owd blokes playing 5 a side Empty Re: Owd blokes playing 5 a side Sat Jul 02 2016, 19:13

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

7Owd blokes playing 5 a side Empty Re: Owd blokes playing 5 a side Sat Jul 02 2016, 23:38

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

boltonbonce wrote:
You've posted that video before Boncey, but that's ok, because it's brilliant.  Very Happy

8Owd blokes playing 5 a side Empty Re: Owd blokes playing 5 a side Sun Jul 03 2016, 00:27

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Bwfc1958 wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:
You've posted that video before Boncey, but that's ok, because it's brilliant.  Very Happy

He's all left foot.

I used to love playing against people who used to think they were smart ball players similar to that - it meant free fouls for me!

Ok I never in real life met players who were quite so flashy (the video is clearly a set up) but I used to go through the ball and hit the 'fancy' player really hard in the first couple of tackles and if/when the ref said something to me I simply said I had not fouled him intentionally, it was just that he was to good/quick for me!

I never got a booking in a game over it and they often never tried to be smart with me in the game after that, more often than not laying it off anytime they came anywhere near me.

As for playing footy as an old man good luck to you Lusty.

Although my spirit to play is still immensely strong my body certainly let me know it could no longer cope.  I started getting injuries that took longer and longer to heal (many of which never really recovered and I did myself again in the same place a few matches after my return), or I started to get injured in places I never had injuries before.

In your heart you KNOW your time to quit as come.

Better to go out with your head up high rather than spoil the game for others who really don't want to be on your team anymore but are to polite to tell you that.

Sorry if that is a bit to frank but that was my reasoning for quitting for good.

I still miss not playing though.

Happy days.

9Owd blokes playing 5 a side Empty Re: Owd blokes playing 5 a side Mon Jul 04 2016, 00:12

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
Very Happy I effing wish! Bit more Norman Hunter these days.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum