Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie

+5
wanderlust
doffcocker
Natasha Whittam
terenceanne
whatsgoingon
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Empty OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Wed Jul 13 2016, 16:34

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Bolton Wanderers complete Mark Howard signing

Goalkeeper signs two-year deal at Macron Stadium

Bolton Wanderers have completed the signing of Mark Howard on a free transfer.

Most recently on the books at Sheffield United, the goalkeeper puts pen-to-paper on a two-year deal at Macron Stadium.

The 29-year-old started his career with his Arsenal before making his professional debut during a loan spell with Falkirk during the second half of the 2005/06 season.

Having enjoyed stints in Wales with Cardiff City and Swansea City and in Scotland with St. Mirren and Aberdeen, he returned to England with Blackpool in September 2011.

Joining the Blades the following February, Howard made 104 appearances for the club during his four-and-a-half stay at Bramall Lane and was a member of the side that reached the Capital One Cup semi-finals and the Sky Bet League One play-offs in 2014/15.

Read more at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Wiki info on him -

Mark Stephen Howard (born 21 September 1986) is an English [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] who plays as a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Born in Southwark, London he was part of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]'s youth team but having failed to make the step up to the senior squad he departed for [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Howard moved to Scotland with spells at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]before moving back to England to play for [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] before arriving at Sheffield United. Where he currently holds the clubs consecutive clean sheet record with a record of 8 games without conceding a goal.

Early career[[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]

Howard started his career with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but he never made an appearance for the first team, although he was an unused [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] during the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. He was [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] club[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in January 2006, where he made eight appearances. After his loan period ended in the summer Howard was released by Arsenal.

Cardiff City[[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]

Following his release by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Howard was offered a permanent contract with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], but instead decided to join [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to try and develop into a first team keeper. Howard provided back up as a second choice keeper that season to Neil Alexander.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] He made his debut for The Bluebirds in a League Cup game between Cardiff and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Howard made only one other appearance for Cardiff, against [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] match and against [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] match. After a month's loan with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] as cover in January 2007, where he failed to make a first team appearance, he was released by Cardiff at the end of the 2006–07 season.

St Mirren[[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]

Howard then joined Scottish side [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and made his debut on 13 February 2008, keeping a clean sheet against [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] match. He then made his league debut three days later as St Mirren suffered a 4–0 defeat against Falkirk. Howard soon become first choice goalkeeper, taking over from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and his performances led to him signing a new two-year contract in April 2009.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The following season however Howard made only two appearances after losing his first choice status to new signing [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and left the club after three seasons and 52 games.

Aberdeen[[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]

In July 2010 Howard signed a one-year deal at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and made his debut on 14 August 2010, keeping a clean sheet in a 4–0 win over [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. As the season progressed Howard slipped to second choice goalkeeper behind [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and left the club when the season ended.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Blackpool[[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]

Howard signed a five-month contract with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in September 2011 as cover after a fitness concerns over [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. He had to wait until Boxing Day later that year to make his full début for the club in a 3–1 victory at Barnsley. He went on to make 3 more appearances, his performances prompting manager [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to offer him an extension for the rest of the season[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but Howard failed to agree terms and left [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] when his short term deal expired.

Sheffield United[[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]

In February 2012 Howard joined [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on a free transfer, signing a two and a half year contract after a successful two-week trial period,[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] arriving as cover for [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but didn't make a first team appearance that season.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] When Simonsen was released the following summer, Howard made his United debut, against [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on 18 August 2012, keeping a clean sheet in a 1–0 win. Howard remained first choice keeper until he suffered a thigh injury in the 11th minute at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] against [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in October 2012, an injury that kept him out of the side for twelve weeks.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Replaced by [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], Howard was unable to regain his place in the team, despite having started the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] as first-choice keeper.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The following season initially saw Howard continue to play understudy to Long, making only a handful of appearances until he was recalled to the starting line up by new manager [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for an [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]tie against [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in February 2014.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Having kept a clean sheet in that fixture Howard retained his place,[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and was virtually ever present until the end of the season, missing only one game.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] With his current deal set to expire, United opted to take up a one-year extension in May 2014.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Know nowt about him but we have a back up goalie at least. Now a winger if Phil is to be believed.

So far so good.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Just to save Nat trotting out her predictable boring dross "he's a ponce and one of the worst players EVER to wear the shirt" until proven otherwise - yawn

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He hasn't worn the shirt yet, try and keep up.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:He hasn't worn the shirt yet, try and keep up.
He has for the photo shoot  Very Happy

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I think most people can see now that Amos is pretty crap.

Even in Leaugue One, there's plenty of players that can hit the ball hard from distance.

So I do think one of two things has to happen.

a) Amos improves drastically from last season

b) We replace him with somebody better.

I've never heard of this Howard guy, but at least Parkinson has recognised that we definitely need to strengthen the goalkeeping area of the squad.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I think Amos is potentially a very good keeper but there is a flaw with a particular type of save, surely it's something that can be resolved through coaching and practice

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

whatsgoingon wrote: surely it's something that can be resolved through coaching and practice
..or a trip to Specsavers.

I'm convinced he has difficulty with middle distance.

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote: surely it's something that can be resolved through coaching and practice
..or a trip to Specsavers.

I'm convinced he has difficulty with middle distance.
Yes but middle distance soon becomes near, then it's about reflex. Whether it's a physical thing or mental flaw it is a very clear flaw and should be recognised and worked on.
Do we have a goalkeeper coach (if so who) and is it the same as we had or has PP brought one with him.

10OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Thu Jul 14 2016, 12:10

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

whatsgoingon wrote:I think Amos is potentially a very good keeper

Are there any of our shit players you think are actually shit? You seem to think Madine, Amos, Trotter etc are world beaters, when 99.5% of fans think they're fooking useless.

11OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Thu Jul 14 2016, 12:47

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:I think Amos is potentially a very good keeper

Are there any of our shit players you think are actually shit? You seem to think Madine, Amos, Trotter etc are world beaters, when 99.5% of fans think they're fooking useless.
Never have I used the phrase world beaters, unfortunately we won't be going out buying any world beaters anytime soon.
So the goal is to put together a team that can compete with the resources we have.
In his spell on loan most Bolton fans wanted the permanent signing of Amos hence potentially a very good keeper.
But you keep on doing what you do best, sniffing round peoples arses putting half assed comments after them and offering absolutely nothing of any substance.
You stick to making up bollocks about the delusional world you live in and leave the real world stuff to people who actually live in the real world.

12OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Thu Jul 14 2016, 12:59

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

whatsgoingon wrote:
But you keep on doing what you do best, sniffing round peoples arses putting half assed comments after them and offering absolutely nothing of any substance.
You stick to making up bollocks about the delusional world you live in and leave the real world stuff to people who actually live in the real world.

Why are you so jealous of me?

13OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Thu Jul 14 2016, 16:00

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
whatsgoingon wrote:

Why are you so jealous of me?
If that's what you're reading into my comments you're more deluded than I thought.

14OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Thu Jul 14 2016, 16:06

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I don't know anything about Howard apart from what I've read but I can't help wondering if he's meant to replace Amos rather than back him up. We all know Ben's weaknesses and I can't help thinking that maybe Phil is looking to offload him and replace him with two cheaper stoppers. Of course that may not be possible but in strictly financial terms it would make sense.

15OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Thu Jul 14 2016, 16:20

whatsgoingon

whatsgoingon
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

luckyPeterpiper wrote:I don't know anything about Howard apart from what I've read but I can't help wondering if he's meant to replace Amos rather than back him up. We all know Ben's weaknesses and I can't help thinking that maybe Phil is looking to offload him and replace him with two cheaper stoppers. Of course that may not be possible but in strictly financial terms it would make sense.
I'm not sure how much Amos is on but I would guess similar would apply as Pratley and Davies and he would be very difficult to shift.

16OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Thu Jul 14 2016, 16:36

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I agree wgo but Howard seems a bit old to be a backup at this level and from his stats I'd suggest he's even a bit too good for that. I'm not saying he's brilliant because I haven't seen him play but it strikes me that at his age he'd want and expect to be a regular first team player in League One. It does make me wonder if perhaps it's already been decided to let Amos go either at the end of his deal (next summer I believe) or even sooner if we could find someone to take over his wages either as a cheap buy or a loan with option to sign later. I may well be reading too much into this but I wouldn't be all that surprised to see another keeper arrive in this window as well as Howard.

17OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Thu Jul 14 2016, 20:47

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Amos is shite IMO. All the opposition need to do is take long shots and they'll score.

18OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Thu Jul 14 2016, 21:52

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Listen, you aren't on Man Uniteds books for over 10 years if you are shit. I think Amos was just low on confidence last season, he looked superb at times.

19OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Thu Jul 14 2016, 21:57

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was basing my opinion on him on his performances for Bolton, not Man Utd's youth team

20OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Mark Howard - New Goalie Thu Jul 14 2016, 21:59

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

BoltonTillIDie wrote:I was basing my opinion on him on his performances for Bolton, not Man Utd's youth team

He has been 50% shit 50% brilliant in a Bolton shirt. With all that went on last season I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and I can see him coming good this year

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum