Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

First it was "Post Truth" and now this......

+9
gloswhite
boltonbonce
wanderlust
Fabians Right Peg
xmiles
Soul Kitchen
karlypants
Natasha Whittam
Bread2.0
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I am starting to despair a bit about things.

Not the football, that's going fine.

No, I mean other stuff.

This isn't another anti-Trump rant but he is involved in this.

I'm talking about the way that it now appears that concrete facts are no longer deemed immutable by large sections of our society.

Now, despite what many of you may well think, I'm not daft and I know that people have always told fibs if it suited their agenda.

They always have done and they always will do.

But that's always been ok because you could always blow their spurious arguments out of the water by citing facts to dispute what they were saying.

Now however, it seems that it is becoming increasingly acceptable to ignore facts and just argue until you're blue in the face that black is white.

Watch this:

That woman is basically saying that it's fine to just make stuff up and it's now a recognised political strategy for gaining popularity.

As I've just said, lying's one thing but the facts were always there to provide the truth.

I'm deeply concerned about this notion that you can just make stuff up and pass it off as fact and that's a legitimate way of getting what you want.

Traditionally, if a politician got caught out lying, they had to resign.

Nowadays, telling lies has become accepted as simply part of the process.

And that's dangerous.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Says the man who claimed to have a huge knob then back-tracked a few hours later.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

She looks like she has a great pair of tits!

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:Says the man who claimed to have a huge knob then back-tracked a few hours later.

But that's (kind of) my point.

I said I had a massive willy but then thought: "Shit! If any of this lot ever meet Mrs B and ask her, I'll be exposed as a liar."

So I recanted my initial statement.

Because the fact is, it's quite small.

But we're moving into a world in which facts like that don't matter because all that counts is the initial impact of what I said about it being yuge.

That's how Trump operates and people appear to love it.

Bigly.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

But the thing is, when you announced that you had a huge willy everyone stood up and took notice. We all took you seriously and realised you were a man not to be messed with.

You had our attention and we would have done anything you asked. And that's why politicians lie.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

karlypants wrote:She looks like she has a great pair of tits!
Wanker?

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Bread2.0 wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:Says the man who claimed to have a huge knob then back-tracked 

Because the fact is, it's quite small.

If it's big enough to fill a pram that's all that matters! Smile
Ask Nat?!

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

People will believe the moon is made of foreskin cheese if the right person tells them.

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:But the thing is, when you announced that you had a huge willy everyone stood up and took notice. We all took you seriously and realised you were a man not to be messed with.

You had our attention and we would have done anything you asked. And that's why politicians lie.

Yes, fine...I'm not disputing that.

My point is that traditionally, once the dust had settled and someone had said: "Er...hang on. That's not actually true...", they'd have to (at the very least) try and explain their reasoning for saying what they did.

Look at what Farage did with the £350m bus lie.

He was on breakfast telly a mere 8 hours after the result came in saying it was a load of made-up shite.

With a big grin on his face.

But have him and Boris been strung up for it?

Have they balls..... Farage is over in Washington demanding to be made Her Majesty's Ambassador to Murica and Boris is now in charge of setting foreign policy for the British government.

It's crazy.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Famous people are immune to the rules the rest of us follow.

On a more serious note, can you tell me why Asda have stopped selling Warbies Super Toastie?

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Natasha Whittam wrote:Famous people are immune to the rules the rest of us follow.

True but more accurate to say powerful rather than famous people are immune.

I still find it disturbing that any responsible person can deny that there are such things as facts (like gravity for example). We have moved even beyond Gove's statement that we don't need experts.

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

xmiles wrote:

I still find it disturbing that any responsible person can deny that there are such things as facts (like gravity for example). We have moved even beyond Gove's statement that we don't need experts.

Time that we did away with brainless idiots that pretend to be both celebrities and politicians, the fact that the two can be considered in the same sentence shows how far our society has fallen.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Just like it was the Brexit camp's "opinion" that they would spend £350m a week on the NHS.

Post truth = bare faced lies = there are no facts = too many people are stupid

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

That's where the Remain campaign went wrong. 
If only they'd questioned why Leave voters were supporting a rapist paedophile in the full knowledge that if we leave Europe all domestic pets will be reclassified as food and white children will be sold to the highest foreign bidder to cut benefit payments and clean up our parks.

Missed a trick there.

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Seriously though......how have we got to this?

This is like one of those American High School movies you used to get where they're voting for class president and the jock who promises to provide free ice-cream in the cafeteria and extend recess to four hours a day gets voted in over the nerdy kid who campaigns on a platform of securing more books for the library.

The point with those movies was, the kids fell for it because they were stupid and shallow (ie kids) and it never ended well.

But the same appears to be happening with grown-ups now. With increasingly alarming regularity.

Charlie Brooker tweeted that he thinks that some scientists in Switzerland turned on a massive "human stupidity accelerator" under a mountain in the Alps last January and I'm starting to think he may have a point.

If you stop and think for a sec, the notion of giving serious credence to the idea that "facts are no longer important" potentially marks a massive turning point in human evolution.

If it carries on like this, we'll all be living in caves and wearing wolf pelts for clothing in another 150 years.

How the fuck has this happened?

And don't give me all that bullshit about people "voting for change" because there's more to it than that.

We really must be dumbing down.

The writing's been on the wall for a while with the emergence of TV shows like TOWIE and all that bollocks because it appears that significant numbers of us are no longer interested in the pursuit of sophistication and knowledge, and we'd rather settle for "scripted reality" TV shows instead because they're easier on the brain.

Just think about that: Scripted fucking reality.....

I've got my own theory that when the TV companies decided to start churning out all this cheap as chips dogshit about ten years ago and people started lapping it up, that was the moment the canary in the human mine fell off its perch.

We should have seen it coming and done something.

But it's too late now.

Mark my words, "Ow My Balls!" will be on the Discovery Channel within the next 5 years.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Politicians only use facts to scare voters. It's called Project Fear. FACT.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Both shocking and disgusting. To be still claiming that his lies are true until they are "proven to be false" is sickening. How exactly is anyone supposed to be able to prove that his lies are not true?

Obviously there is now nothing that the right wing loonies in America and here won't say if they think it gives them an advantage or might embarrass their opponents.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:

Obviously there is now nothing that the right wing loonies in America and here won't say if they think it gives them an advantage or might embarrass their opponents.
But the Leave campaign demonstrated that it's now happening here too. 
In Britain, politicians caught lying used to resign before they were pushed.
Whereas lying racist Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson was made Foreign Secretary.

British values of decency and honesty have all but disappeared.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum