Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Parkinson has the White idea says striker Gary Madine

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Banged about from pillar to post on the field of play, at least Gary Madine is feeling the love off it.

And the striker admits he is benefiting from his manager’s amiable approach, which harks back to a happier time in his career.

Madine’s form this season, after suffering the lion’s share of criticism last term, suggests a happy player is an effective player.

And the PFA Fans’ Player of the Month for December would hardly disagree.

“It’s definitely more enjoyable for me this year,” Madine told the Whites’ matchday programme.

“The manager here is very similar to the first-ever manager I worked under at Carlisle, John Ward.

“He gave me my first-ever professional contract and he’s a really nice man who had a great manner about him.

“He knows his football and is very respectful, which shows out on the pitch.

“When the manager respects you, you respect him back and it makes for a harmonious relationship on and off the pitch.”

The 26-year-old was Neil Lennon’s first signing of the 2015 summer window but during a trying first season at the Macron, which yielded just six goals, Madine had a number of very public shouting matches with the then-manager.

And in the first half of an impressive 2016/17 campaign there is a marked difference in the former Sheffield Wednesday man under Lennon’s successor, Phil Parkinson, who appears to adopt different approaches, tailored to his squad members.

“His man-management is superb, especially when it comes to knowing how to approach the lads,” said Madine, who equalled his tally of last season when he scored twice against Gillingham in mid-December.

“I know I’m the kind of player who needs an arm around my shoulder and a softer approach – like many players, I don’t respond to being shouted at.

“Some players do work that way – guys like Jay Spearing can handle that sort of approach – but I thrive and work better when a manager knows how I work mentally.

“Every player is different, though, and the gaffer is brilliant in the way he can cater for all the different personalities in the team.

“The lads who came in over the summer have settled so easily and all made their mark in the team, while even the lads who were here last year and experienced relegation have stuck together.

“It could have been very easy for a lot of the lads to move on but you can see how much the club means to them. They want to get Bolton Wanderers back into the Championship.

“It’s just a much better environment to work in this season and I think you can see that out there on the pitch in our performances – how much happier we are too.”

Another man rejuvenated this season after the club’s annus horribilis, David Wheater, has seen first-hand the battering Madine takes from defenders, many in his own mould.

But while his fellow north-easterner has also had his share of stick from Whites fans Wheater insists his efforts up front do not go unnoticed by those playing alongside him.

“We appreciate the work that Gary Madine puts in, I tell him I’d hate to play against him because he’s just so strong,” said Wheater.

“When we play the balls up to him he normally sticks or wins the flick-ons and he’s doing brilliantly. I say to him before every game ‘Just go and do the same again, battle the defenders’ and that’s what he’s been doing.

“I don’t know why he gets some stick, he’s our first line of defence and he defends well at corners, he normally wins the headers when called upon, he’s been brilliant for us.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum