Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long

+6
Natasha Whittam
Fabians Right Peg
Boggersbelief
Norpig
wanderlust
Sluffy
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 10:05

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

CHRIS Long will become Wanderers’ first signing of the winter transfer window after agreeing a loan move from Burnley.

The 21-year-old former Everton striker terminated his spell at promotion-rivals Fleetwood on Friday and agreed terms with the Whites over the weekend.

Long scored four goals in 23 appearances on the Fylde coast – including three in his first five games – but struggled to adapt to a squad rotation system employed by Fleetwood boss Uwe Rosler.

Phil Parkinson wanted to add some pace to his front line, missing since the departure of Sammy Ameobi, and sees the former England youth international as a key addition in the promotion run-in.

Long’s signing is expected to be announced this morning by a club still smarting from defeat against 10-man Charlton and further signings are possible before tomorrow’s deadline.

Former Stoke City and Cardiff City striker Peter Odemwingie watched from the stands on Saturday, with club sources refusing to completely rule out the possibility of a deal.

The 35-year-old trialled with Wanderers last October but opted to sign a short-term deal with Rotherham United, which expires at the end of this month.
He could, therefore, be available to sign after the deadline, depending on what space is available in a squad restricted to 23 by the terms of the Football League transfer embargo.

Including Long, Wanderers have four loanees and can only name five on a matchday, which is another consideration for Parkinson as he looks to strengthen.

Heading in the opposite direction, Chris Taylor looks set to re-join his former club Oldham Athletic after being excluded from the squad on Saturday against Charlton.

Wanderers could go further in their clear-out, too, with Jamie Proctor subject to interest from League Two Portsmouth and the likes of Liam Trotter, Conor Wilkinson, Dorian Dervite, Lewis Buxton and Dean Moxey all potentially up for grabs.

Parkinson made no secret of the fact he wants fresh blood after a disappointing performance at the weekend.

“We have got a busy couple of days anyway – but this kind of performance only highlights things,” he said.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Sluffy on Mon Jan 30 2017, 14:17; edited 1 time in total

2OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 10:52

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well at least Taylor is on his bike...

3OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 11:09

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:Well at least Taylor is on his bike...
 good riddance, he was rubbish, now to clear out the likes of Dervite and Trotter as well. I dread to think what kind of wages those 2 are on

Not heard or seen anything about Long, he record isn't amazing but we have to find a striker from somewhere as Madine can't hit a cows arse with a banjo

4OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 14:00

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Long confirmed on SKY so I guess we have a winger with a bit of pace to throw into the mix. Could turn out to be a good loan but it depends just as much on what else Parky does and what system he plays.

5OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 14:03

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He's a striker

6OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 14:20

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

7OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 14:29

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Madine has played well as a target man but can't seem to add goals to his game, so where does this guy come in, does he play in Vela's role off Madine and Vela drop back into central midfield, is it a straight swap for the washing machine, or do we change formation completely and go 442 and if so who plays on the left?

looking at the options what is clear is that we are desperate for a wide man or two with some pace and creativity.

Will be interesting to see what Parkinson does.

8OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 15:02

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Never heard of him.

9OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 15:04

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

To lightweight!

Very Happy

10OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 15:09

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Never heard of him.

Had you heard of Ronaldo before he joined united?

11OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 15:29

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sluffy wrote:To lightweight!

Very Happy

It's funny because I was going to come on here and agree with Nat, but he hasn't said it this time.

I haven't seen a great deal of him in a Burnley shirt (none of our fans have) but the impression I got was too lightweight and I think that he has a questionable temperament. 

He missed a bit of a sitter from three yards out in one game (can't remember who) but to be fair to him it was at an awkward height and it wasn't an open net.

He did well for Brentford though with Gray alongside him and if you asked most Brentford fans if they'd have Long back, I reckon most of them would say yes.

Not a goal poacher and will definitely need to play in a two up front.

12OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 15:35

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Copper Dragon wrote: impression I got was too lightweight and I think that he has a questionable temperament. 

Not a goal poacher and will definitely need to play in a two up front.

If lightweight and not a goal poacher then what does he offer Shocked

Worrying summary Copper.

13OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 15:38

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:Had you heard of Ronaldo before he joined united?

No. I pay little attention to football outside England.

14OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 15:42

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This really is a shit signing, and smacks of desperation.

I absolutely guarantee you he will be taking Chris Taylor's long-term place on the bench.

What we need is proven quality, even if that quality is over 30.

Parkinson seems to be reading the Dougie Freedman Guide To Football Management.

15OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 15:48

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Fabians Right Peg wrote:
If lightweight and not a goal poacher then what does he offer Shocked

Worrying summary copper.

I'd say a bit of pace and skill.

Please don't see my opinion as the correct one, like I say we haven't seen enough of him but I did get the impression that he didn't have the work ethic needed to play in a Burnley side that doesn't retain possession.

If it makes you feel better when we signed him from Everton most of their fans (on the forums) wanted to keep him.

16OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 16:14

Fabians Right Peg

Fabians Right Peg
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Thanks CD, we seem to lack any pace, however with the way we play not sure we need it, hopefully it will give us a few more options.

17OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 16:15

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If it was my choice I'd drop Madine and try to play a bit of football on the ground with Clayton and Long on either side of Clough with Vela in support but there is no chance of Parky going for that.

18OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 16:24

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

wanderlust wrote:If it was my choice I'd drop Madine and try to play a bit of football on the ground with Clayton and Long on either side of Clough with Vela in support but there is no chance of Parky going for that.

Agree with that Wander....

Our current plan is to pass among the back four then back to the goalkeeper who then hoofs it up the park.  Why the man on the ball can't hoof it is beyond me. That's our current tactic as far as I can see.

19OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 16:34

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:If it was my choice I'd drop Madine and try to play a bit of football on the ground with Clayton and Long on either side of Clough with Vela in support but there is no chance of Parky going for that.

Agree with this too. At least to give it a try. We're far too predictable and need another plan of attack now that we're in the second half of the season

20OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Empty Re: OFFICIAL - Bolton sign Chris Long Mon Jan 30 2017, 17:46

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I've just had a look back to his time at Brentford and he mostly played as a lone front man, although they did have some very good attacking midfielders and wingers in Jota, Judge, Pritchard and Dallas.

Maybe he doesn't have to 'definitely' play in a two up front and Wanderlust's suggestion may just be nearer to the mark.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum