Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mark Howard is not feeling promotion pinch ahead of Scunthorpe clash

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Mark Howard is embracing the pressure of a promotion battle with Wanderers.

Yet to concede a goal since replacing his injured rival Ben Alnwick at Shrewsbury, nerves have not come into play for the Londoner.

Three wins from the remaining five games would make this the first team in the club’s history to bounce back immediately from relegation to the third tier.

Scunthorpe, on paper, represents the toughest test remaining – but Howard insists Glanford Park should hold no fear for a side that has come into an ominous run of form at the right time.

“You don’t get nervous, you look forward to these games,” he told The Bolton News. “They are the ones that mean more in your career when you look back in 10 years and think about what you achieved.

“This is a great chance to go up and it’s something we strive for every single week.”

A long midweek journey to Southend meant more careful management for Phil Parkinson and his medical team, who after a light Wednesday debrief welcome the squad back in this morning for a full training session before heading up to Humberside.

Assembling a promotion run has been physical and brutal to watch on occasion, particularly away from home. But the team’s transformation from a soft touch on their travels to one who can grind out results like Tuesday night at Roots Hall has been quite something to witness.

“I think the secret has been in the recovery between games,” Howard said. “It’s the old cliché – you concentrate on the one in front of you, never looking too far ahead.

“I think we have enjoyed being on the road this season.

“Our away form has been good. You are under a lot more pressure to play nice football at home whereas away from home we can be a bit scrappier and a bit more direct. I think it has suited us a bit.”

Howard’s opportunity came as a result of Alnwick’s unfortunate knee injury at Shrewsbury and he was quick to acknowledge the part his team-mate has played in getting Wanderers to this stage.

“It’s a strange situation for me and Ben,” said the keeper, who was ruled out for three months with a broken thumb sustained at Peterborough in November.

“We’re both striving for the same thing. We both want to play because we’re competitive but he’s been brilliant.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum