You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » Grenfell Tower Fire

Grenfell Tower Fire

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Grenfell Tower Fire on Wed Jun 14 2017, 18:14

karlypants

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Can't imagine what all the people that live there are going through.

Such a sad tragedy.

RIP to all those who have died in that inferno.

2 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Wed Jun 14 2017, 18:18

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Sent a chill through me this morning,when I thought about the people trapped inside. I'm sure the death toll will rise in the days ahead,and I can only echo the thoughts expressed by KP.
RIP.

3 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Thu Jun 15 2017, 04:15

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Terrifying. I thought plastic cladding was banned in the U.K. But apparently it's not. Those poor people.

4 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Thu Jun 15 2017, 10:57

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
I'm thinking that the cladding wasn't too bad, but the gap between the cladding, only having a fire resistant filler, enabled the gap to become a funnel for the flames.

A terrible ending for so many, may they RIP.

5 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Thu Jun 15 2017, 11:02

y2johnny

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
I did the face fit for the company that carried out the refurbs on those flats a couple of weeks ago.

Devastating news. All the tower blocks in salford now have this cladding

http://Www.thefacefittester.co.uk

6 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Thu Jun 15 2017, 18:26

Cajunboy

avatar
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
I find this hard to believe, but on FIVELIVE this morning some expert said there was 4,000 of this type of tower block in the UK.

I can't belive that.

7 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Thu Jun 15 2017, 18:32

y2johnny

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Apparently so. And only 12 with a sprinkler system

There are loads in salford and eccles. Probably about 30 jist off the top of my head which i know

http://Www.thefacefittester.co.uk

8 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Thu Jun 15 2017, 18:55

gloswhite

avatar
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff
My brother used to live on the top floor of one in East London. I often wondered how they would get out in an emergency, and this was 40 year ago.

9 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Thu Jun 15 2017, 18:57

y2johnny

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
The place i was working today in wolverhampton.  There was about 6 or 7 all in a row and then about 4 with a courtyard in the middle

http://Www.thefacefittester.co.uk

10 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Fri Jun 16 2017, 13:49

Cajunboy

avatar
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
y2johnny wrote:Apparently so. And only 12 with a sprinkler system

There are loads in salford and eccles. Probably about 30 jist off the top of my head which i know
 Yes, the 4,000 figure was repeated last night on ITV News.

11 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Sat Jun 17 2017, 07:43

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Leadbitters were in the frame to do the refurb for £11.6 million but the client went for a £8.6 million job with someone else. Doesn't necessarily mean it would have been safer but there are protesters suggesting the council cut corners.

Fabulous image on the front page of the mirror today comparing may and the queen.

12 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Sat Jun 17 2017, 09:43

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Well worth the read.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/16/grenfell-tower-rebuke-right-rampant-inequality

13 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Sat Jun 17 2017, 10:03

okocha

avatar
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
boltonbonce wrote:Well worth the read.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/16/grenfell-tower-rebuke-right-rampant-inequality
Yes, Bonce, a superb knowledgeable and wise article, drawing together the many factors which contributed to the disaster. I admired the way the writer was not afraid to nail the guilty parties and to denounce the Mail and The Express for the angle they adopted.

14 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Sat Jun 17 2017, 11:19

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
okocha wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Well worth the read.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/16/grenfell-tower-rebuke-right-rampant-inequality
Yes, Bonce, a superb knowledgeable and wise article, drawing together the many factors which contributed to the disaster. I admired the way the writer was not afraid to nail the guilty parties and to denounce the Mail and The Express for the angle they adopted.
It's at times like this we need quality journalism. It's time some of the other rags stepped up to the plate.

15 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Sat Jun 17 2017, 12:05

karlypants

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
boltonbonce wrote:
okocha wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Well worth the read.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/16/grenfell-tower-rebuke-right-rampant-inequality
Yes, Bonce, a superb knowledgeable and wise article, drawing together the many factors which contributed to the disaster. I admired the way the writer was not afraid to nail the guilty parties and to denounce the Mail and The Express for the angle they adopted.
It's at times like this we need quality journalism. It's time some of the other rags stepped up to the plate.
Was a good read that Boncey from the Guardian and I completely agree with this.

16 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Sat Jun 17 2017, 12:19

xmiles

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Thanks bonce. I was going to post this but you beat me to it.

For those Tories on here who won't bother to read the article it amongst many other good points denounces the Daily Mail and Express for ludicrously and inaccurately trying to blame the EU for this disaster. A more suitable culprit seems to be Tory Kensington and Chelsea council which saved a total of £4750 by opting for the cheaper and more flammable version of cladding.

17 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Sat Jun 17 2017, 13:56

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
xmiles wrote:A more suitable culprit seems to be Tory Kensington and Chelsea council which saved a total of £4750 by opting for the cheaper and more flammable version of cladding.

Michael Gove claimed over £7000 in expenses last year.

Seems fair enough....

18 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Sat Jun 17 2017, 15:22

Fabians Right Peg

avatar
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
It's interesting that there is a lot of focus on the council allowing poor refurbishment standards, however I don't think this is the case.

I used to work as an engineer in a local council and eventually left to work in the private sector, councils have lost a lot of specialists and unlike in the past do not train up new apprentices with the skills necessary to manage the infrastructure they are responsible for.

a lot of the older guys with in depth knowledge left on voluntary redundancy and maintenance has been outsourced to management companies who again lack the technical expertise they need.

I deal with lots of councils looking at highway structures and they clearly don't have a Scooby on there responsibilities and the standards that they should be demanding from private contractors.

19 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Sat Jun 17 2017, 15:29

xmiles

avatar
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Fabians Right Peg wrote:It's interesting that there is a lot of focus on the council allowing poor refurbishment standards, however I don't think this is the case.

I used to work as an engineer in a local council and eventually left to work in the private sector, councils have lost a lot of specialists and unlike in the past do not train up new apprentices with the skills necessary to manage the infrastructure they are responsible for.

a lot of the older guys with in depth knowledge left on voluntary redundancy and maintenance has been outsourced to management companies who again lack the technical expertise they need.

I deal with lots of councils looking at highway structures and they clearly don't have a Scooby on there responsibilities and the standards that they should be demanding from private contractors.

Reduced staffing and outsourcing. Which political party is very keen on this? The same party that has cut local council funding.

20 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Sat Jun 17 2017, 22:33

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
There is a fundamental point about deregulation in there that goes to the heart of British politics.
For years our media has taken the piss out of health and safety and regulation in general. We are British so we are too hard to worry about stupid things like machinery guards, fire regulations, personal protective equipment, breaks for tiredness .... the list is endless. 
That smartarse attitude was translated into a complete disregard for EU standards and regulations and our media gave rise to the cocky "we know better because we're British" attitude that brought all the idiots out of the woodwork at the referendum.
After all the minimum wage and safe working practices are a hindrance to businesses according to the rich/tories.
The recent election in which the tories lost their majority showed that finally the working class are starting to wake up from a 40 year slumber.

21 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Sun Jun 18 2017, 02:08

Bread2.0

avatar
Andy Walker
Andy Walker
Word!

We, the perennially under-appreciated are coming back.

The times, they are a changing.

I'm almost 50 and I'd given up. Labour went all Tory and I thought "Fuck off, not my party, I'm off."

But we're back now.

May's not only superficially useless, she's proved that she's properly useless in public and is unfit to lead the country.

Hiding from Corbyn in the TV debates, that bullshit on the steps of Downing Street wherein she pretended that they'd won with a majority despite us all knowing that she'd fucked up and it was a hung parliament....

And then there's the way she misjudged the mood after that fire and had to run away.

The locals hate her, the Fire Service hate her, the Plod hate her and I hate her.

Sword - On It Fall - Now - Please, Tory bitch.

The last time I was properly excited about the Labour Party was 1987 - Red Wedge and all that stuff.

And I'm dusting off my Billy Bragg and Redskins records again because I feel like it's happening again.

22 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Sun Jun 18 2017, 10:33

wanderlust

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
TBH I don't buy the full labour package as it currently stands but there have been signs of improvement lately and that's what interests me.

23 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Mon Jun 19 2017, 17:21

boltonbonce

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

24 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Mon Jun 19 2017, 19:10

okocha

avatar
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
Papering Over Poverty......superb, Bonce!

25 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Mon Jun 19 2017, 19:27

karlypants

avatar
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I noticed yesterday that Heart FM censored the word fire from Crying in the club by Camila Cabello.

26 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Thu Jun 22 2017, 17:26

BoltonTillIDie

avatar
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Nice charity single for disaster

27 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Thu Jun 22 2017, 19:22

Bollotom2014

avatar
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly
BoltonTillIDie wrote:Nice charity single for disaster


Would have been more suitable for the Westminster and Borough Market attacks, but Simon Cowell knows better. This'll make him a lot richer than deliberate killing of innocents by others' hands.

28 Re: Grenfell Tower Fire on Fri Jun 23 2017, 11:29

BoltonTillIDie

avatar
Jussi Jääskeläinen
Jussi Jääskeläinen
The proceeds from this years Community Shield will be donated to support those affected by the fire.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum