Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brexit negotiations

+27
Travelodge
Dunkels King
rammywhite
BoltonTillIDie
Angry Dad
scottjames30
Bread2.0
xmiles
Chairmanda
wessy
Cajunboy
Bollotom2014
Bwfc1958
JAH
okocha
Reebok Trotter
Soul Kitchen
Sluffy
karlypants
Leeds_Trotter
boltonbonce
finlaymcdanger
Norpig
Natasha Whittam
gloswhite
bwfc71
wanderlust
31 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 33 ... 50  Next

Go down  Message [Page 16 of 50]

301Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Nov 10 2017, 09:38

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

T.R.O.Y wrote:
gloswhite wrote:
T.R.O.Y wrote:It’s telling that Leavers on this thread have given up on making serious comments.
Its nothing to do do with leavers, or remainers, anymore.
There was a lot of nasty comments and bad feeling after the referendum, with tempers running high. Add to that the Trump election, and one or two on here got completely out of hand, sometimes forgetting that this forum  consists of football fans with a view, not racists, idiots, and all sorts in between. In honesty, we were all involved to some degree. The vehemence, and abuse, shown by some was unreasonable, and, from my point of view, the hard core of remainers were so adamant that nothing good could come out of any aspect of the referendum, meant that it was similar to pissing in the wind when trying to say anything even slightly, for leaving. Unfortunately, I feel we are all still walking on eggshells to some degree, with the Brexit thread).
Having said that, we have all got past that stage, and even manage to have the odd civil discussion about the state of the talks, etc. The forum has now returned to where it was before the civil war, and I have to wonder why you even raised the point, to be honest.

My point was that given everything we've seen since I'm not sure many Leavers are capable of having a serious debate about this anymore. 

If we look at the claims and promises that were made during the referendum campaigns, almost everything has been shown to be incorrect or in the case of promises reneged on. 

For instance: 

1. EU keen to do a trade deal - German car manufacturers want to sell cars, France winerys sell champagne.

https://www.politico.eu/article/german-industry-to-uk-we-wont-undermine-single-market-over-brexit/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-germany-business-warns-theresa-may-protect-single-market-trade-deal-uk-a7831401.html

2. UK workers will do the jobs of cheap EU labour 
https://www.ft.com/content/13e183ee-c099-11e7-b8a3-38a6e068f464

3. NHS weekly money (you don't need a link for this)

Nothing to do with civil discussions or vehemence and abuse, it's just a comment on the topic of the thread and how Brexit seems to be developing.
My response to your original comment was to point out that things got very heated on here, even very nasty. The forum suffered for it, and even now many prefer to just read the comments, without replying, because of the adverse, almost fanatical, reaction they will get. 
There are 3 very ardent supporters of remain on here, who are unable to grasp the fact that we are leaving the EU, regardless of what has been said, (by either side), and their responses can still be very blinkered, (in my view). An example would be the comment above by Xmiles, where he states that another 'liar' has been appointed to the cabinet. On what basis does he say that? Merely that she supports Brexit. Now you have joined in with links to whatever shows Brexit in a bad light. I accept things are nowhere near what was expected, or promised by a few, but its something we have to face and fix, not whinge about all the time. 
Its a pity that many prefer to criticise only the UK, when it is obvious that the EU is as at least as culpable, focusing only on the 'divorce' money, (although if they don't get a pile of it, their Common Agricultural Policy may well collapse, apparently). 
One way or another, all this turmoil will end, so wouldn't it be wiser to prepare for the outcomes, and not carp on about how we got there?

302Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Nov 10 2017, 09:48

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We will formally commit to Brexit at 23:00 GMT on Friday 29 March 2019.

303Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Nov 10 2017, 10:42

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Glos if you had taken the trouble to read the link I posted you would see the details of Mordaunt's bare faced lie. Turkey was not about to join the EU and even if it were about to happen we had the power of veto. She knew this and chose to lie about it or alternatively she is an idiot who is so ignorant about the reality of the situation she should have kept quiet about it. So liar or idiot, you choose which one this brexit fan is.

304Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Nov 10 2017, 11:54

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:
T.R.O.Y wrote:
gloswhite wrote:
T.R.O.Y wrote:It’s telling that Leavers on this thread have given up on making serious comments.
Its nothing to do do with leavers, or remainers, anymore.
There was a lot of nasty comments and bad feeling after the referendum, with tempers running high. Add to that the Trump election, and one or two on here got completely out of hand, sometimes forgetting that this forum  consists of football fans with a view, not racists, idiots, and all sorts in between. In honesty, we were all involved to some degree. The vehemence, and abuse, shown by some was unreasonable, and, from my point of view, the hard core of remainers were so adamant that nothing good could come out of any aspect of the referendum, meant that it was similar to pissing in the wind when trying to say anything even slightly, for leaving. Unfortunately, I feel we are all still walking on eggshells to some degree, with the Brexit thread).
Having said that, we have all got past that stage, and even manage to have the odd civil discussion about the state of the talks, etc. The forum has now returned to where it was before the civil war, and I have to wonder why you even raised the point, to be honest.

My point was that given everything we've seen since I'm not sure many Leavers are capable of having a serious debate about this anymore. 

If we look at the claims and promises that were made during the referendum campaigns, almost everything has been shown to be incorrect or in the case of promises reneged on. 

For instance: 

1. EU keen to do a trade deal - German car manufacturers want to sell cars, France winerys sell champagne.

https://www.politico.eu/article/german-industry-to-uk-we-wont-undermine-single-market-over-brexit/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-germany-business-warns-theresa-may-protect-single-market-trade-deal-uk-a7831401.html

2. UK workers will do the jobs of cheap EU labour 
https://www.ft.com/content/13e183ee-c099-11e7-b8a3-38a6e068f464

3. NHS weekly money (you don't need a link for this)

Nothing to do with civil discussions or vehemence and abuse, it's just a comment on the topic of the thread and how Brexit seems to be developing.
My response to your original comment was to point out that things got very heated on here, even very nasty. The forum suffered for it, and even now many prefer to just read the comments, without replying, because of the adverse, almost fanatical, reaction they will get. 
There are 3 very ardent supporters of remain on here, who are unable to grasp the fact that we are leaving the EU, regardless of what has been said, (by either side), and their responses can still be very blinkered, (in my view). An example would be the comment above by Xmiles, where he states that another 'liar' has been appointed to the cabinet. On what basis does he say that? Merely that she supports Brexit. Now you have joined in with links to whatever shows Brexit in a bad light. I accept things are nowhere near what was expected, or promised by a few, but its something we have to face and fix, not whinge about all the time. 
Its a pity that many prefer to criticise only the UK, when it is obvious that the EU is as at least as culpable, focusing only on the 'divorce' money, (although if they don't get a pile of it, their Common Agricultural Policy may well collapse, apparently). 
One way or another, all this turmoil will end, so wouldn't it be wiser to prepare for the outcomes, and not carp on about how we got there?
Hope you take this in the spirit of discussion in which it is intended but what makes you think that Remainers "are unable to grasp the fact that we are leaving the EU"?
I think it would be more accurate to say that we accept the decision, but think that a) it's a really bad one that will seriously damage the UK b) that it was obtained by gross deception  c) that the Leave campaign was at least in part funded by people who either have a vested interest in disrupting the UK economy or are in a position not to be affected by a decline in the economy d) that the truth will come out in the fullness of time e) that May, Davies etc are ignoring the facts and pursuing Brexit to further/maintain their personal political careers rather than the belief that the UK will be stronger for it and f) those who voted to leave will not get the outcomes they expect and will be worse off than they were before the referendum.

When Remainers flag up the backsliding, negotiation failure, U turns and broken promises, I appreciate that it must be hard for Leavers to swallow but unfortunately that's the reality of what is happening. 

Brexit is a fact of life, but as long as May and Davies continue to stumble from one crisis to another, there is always a scintilla of hope that they will see sense before it is too late although I suspect May is daft enough to carry on regardless to try and make a name for herself as the woman who delivered what we voted for - even if it's not what was promised. 

Leavers have made a big deal about the economic crisis not being as bad as the much-derided experts predicted but that's because of the very same reasons that none of the referendum promises have been delivered i.e. all that is still ahead of us. That's why Remainers have an obligation to continue to monitor the situation. We can't let our Government get away with sweeping the lies under the carpet.

305Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Nov 10 2017, 14:19

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

xmiles wrote:Glos if you had taken the trouble to read the link I posted you would see the details of Mordaunt's bare faced lie. Turkey was not about to join the EU and even if it were about to happen we had the power of veto. She knew this and chose to lie about it or alternatively she is an idiot who is so ignorant about the reality of the situation she should have kept quiet about it. So liar or idiot, you choose which one this brexit fan is.
Sorry XM. I tend not to read the links any more. They're all very much in the same vein, which I believe is often too one-sided to even acknowledge. (nothing personal though  Smile )

306Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Nov 10 2017, 14:26

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite wrote:
xmiles wrote:Glos if you had taken the trouble to read the link I posted you would see the details of Mordaunt's bare faced lie. Turkey was not about to join the EU and even if it were about to happen we had the power of veto. She knew this and chose to lie about it or alternatively she is an idiot who is so ignorant about the reality of the situation she should have kept quiet about it. So liar or idiot, you choose which one this brexit fan is.
Sorry XM. I tend not to read the links any more. They're all very much in the same vein, which I believe is often too one-sided to even acknowledge. (nothing personal though  Smile )

OK. However I do try to only quote what most people would consider unbiased sources like the BBC.

307Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Nov 10 2017, 14:57

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

what makes you think that Remainers "are unable to grasp the fact that we are leaving the EU"? 
Because you are always highlighting things that cannot change things, no matter how many times you raise them.
I think it would be more accurate to say that we accept the decision, but think that 
a) it's a really bad one that will seriously damage the UK - got that, many times
b) that it was obtained by gross deception. - Some truth in that, but that goes for both sides. The same argument could have been used by the leavers, had we remained.
c) that the Leave campaign was at least in part funded by people who either have a vested interest in disrupting the UK economy or are in a position not to be affected by a decline in the economy - Unfortunately, there are such people about, but I would be surprised if there weren't financial predators on both sides of the argument. The problem for many is they invested in us remaining, and lost as a result.  I believe the majority of remain voters were slightly better off, and didn't want the status quo changed.
d) that the truth will come out in the fullness of time - agreed, but it wont be for many years, and I'm sure we will see many unsavoury , selfish, and greedy actions and tactics, from all sides. (lets not forget were talking about politicians).
e) that May, Davies etc are ignoring the facts and pursuing Brexit to further/maintain their personal political careers rather than the belief that the UK will be stronger for it - We all know May is a spent force, and is only staying in to prevent an election. If she pulls any credence back after the recent debacle, she'll have performed a minor miracle. Agree about Davies looking to his future, but surely that will be governed by him gaining a good result? At the end of the day, regardless of the arguments since, the country voted in favour of leaving.
f) those who voted to leave will not get the outcomes they expect and will be worse off than they were before the referendum. - that will happen for some, although I'm sure we are all becoming more realistic as to what is involved, and for some, what was wanted, right from the start. All the jingoism, promises, and threats, are all boiling down to the hard facts, that it will be difficult, painful, and will not provide Nirvana within the next couple of years.

However, I genuinely believe that our future is best left in our own hands, and rather than take a rather myopic view of just the next 5 years of so, in which we will suffer, (but not necessarily as much as many doom and gloom merchants would have us believe), I think our future, or more precisely, our children and grandchildren's futures will be more secure. Trading with the world, of which the EU is just another market, managing our own politics without interference, making and adjusting our own laws, managing the comings and goings of migrants, and our own people, can only be for the better. I'm not sure how long into the future we need to look for a settled way of life, but I am aware that the leaving of the EU is the beginning of this, and if we had stayed, the rest of the world would have overtaken the United States of Europe in most, if not all, areas. The EU more often than not, spends more time looking inward, promoting itself at any cost, is unable to change, and is fast becoming a federal partnership, with no true government. I don't believe this is the right way to go.

Bit long, apologies

308Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Nov 10 2017, 14:58

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

xmiles wrote:
gloswhite wrote:

OK. However I do try to only quote what most people would consider unbiased sources like the BBC.
I accept that, but I haven't seen any links from you that show a positive spin. (Don't even consider telling me there aren't any  Very Happy )

309Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Nov 10 2017, 15:35

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

It's half time (505 days since the referendum, 505 days til we leave) and Lord Kerr (the bloke who wrote A50) offers some food for thought:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-theresa-may-article-50-reversal-misleading-public-author-lord-kerr-claims-a8046676.html

And please don't anyone shout "But both sides told fibs!" because all that matters right here, right now is that the only one lying is May when she insists that we must continue down this disastrous path.

We must stop this bollocks before it's too late.

310Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Nov 10 2017, 15:58

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree breaders but can you imagine the uproar if the Government did pull out now? The brexiteers will be wanting public hangings and floggings if it happened as the people have spoken (their words not mine) and it must be carried out to its bitter end.

311Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Nov 10 2017, 16:10

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

The way to get round that one is to hold a second referendum.

We're half way through and we've made zero progress. 

The other 27 countries are laughing at us, the government is fighting tooth and claw to avoid having to release the findings of the impact studies (so what does that tell you?) and even the guy who wrote A50 thinks it's a bad idea.

So, it would be perfectly reasonable for those with the power to do so to say "Listen, guys.....it's time for some honesty. We're struggling here. It's looking as though we can't deliver the seamless exit from the EU that you voted for, so before we go any further, here's your chance to have your say on whether or not we proceed."

Hold a second referendum, let the people express their collective will again (because remember, that appears to be the only justification for doing this in the first place - "It's the will of the people" and all that bollocks.....and then scrap the entire mess when the result comes back 75/25 in favour of staying in.

That would be the sensible thing to do but when has sense played any part in this....?

312Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Nov 10 2017, 16:10

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

The people spoke in 1975 when 67% of us voted to remain in the EU.

313Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Nov 10 2017, 16:15

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

xmiles wrote:The people spoke in 1975 when 67% of us voted to remain in the EU
Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Sleep

315Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Nov 10 2017, 16:57

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Serious question for leave advocates:

(And please ignore the sexist undertone, I'm phrasing it this way because we're predominantly heterosexual males on here.)

If you're wife spotted a car for sale on a garage forecourt and decided she wanted it, would the fact that she said "I want it" mean that you had to go ahead and buy it, even if, when you inspected it closely, you discovered that the salesman was obviously lying to you when he said it was a great car because you'd spotted that it only had 3 wheels and the engine was knackered?

Would her initially having said "Yes, I want this!" despite the fact that the independent RAC report you'd commissioned indicating that it was a pile of junk mean that you went ahead and handed your cash over anyway?

Simply because she'd made an ill-informed, snap judgement based on first impressions which subsequently were proven to be inaccurate?

Would you....?

Eh....?

Would you........?

316Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Nov 10 2017, 17:01

Bread2.0

Bread2.0
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

317Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Nov 10 2017, 17:11

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

gloswhite wrote:what makes you think that Remainers "are unable to grasp the fact that we are leaving the EU"? 
Because you are always highlighting things that cannot change things, no matter how many times you raise them.

All things can change if and when the people have had enough.

Won't question who was involved in the financing but I do know that the Remainers had poor campaign and I suspect it's because they never imagined a Leave vote was possible.

But I do question this:

However, I genuinely believe that our future is best left in our own hands,

..on the grounds that it will never "be in our own hands". We are an integral part of a global economy, highly dependent on foreign trade and workforce especially since our own industrial base was decimated in the '70s. We bet everything on our partnership with Europe and international trade in general and have long since sold off our natural resources and key assets. And it takes two to tango so we will never be completely in control of our own destiny but rather - as Davies is finding out - what deals we can persuade other countries to agree with. Unfortunately, having put ourselves in a position where we need to import almost everything we consume and where we increasingly work for foreign companies who have invested in the UK we are desperate and have nothing much left to bargain with so to a large extent we are and will continue to be controlled by the wishes of foreigners. They own most of our remaining industry, and control our energy needs, our food needs - even our transport infrastructure and will continue to do so. One thing they don't fully control is our agriculture but that has been propped up by the EU for the last 40 years.
We need the EU. It has faults as some sections of the media love to remind us - but it's no worse than our Government and our politics.

318Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Nov 10 2017, 17:14

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Read paragraph 7. Again.  It states, " The European Court of Human Rights had ordered that he stay in Britain despite the Governments attempts to deport him."

It's shit like this where we cannot get rid of low life scum and send them back from whence they came that pisses people off.

319Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Nov 10 2017, 17:35

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bread2.0 wrote:Serious question for leave advocates:

(And please ignore the sexist undertone, I'm phrasing it this way because we're predominantly heterosexual males on here.)

If you're wife spotted a car for sale on a garage forecourt and decided she wanted it, would the fact that she said "I want it" mean that you had to go ahead and buy it, even if, when you inspected it closely, you discovered that the salesman was obviously lying to you when he said it was a great car because you'd spotted that it only had 3 wheels and the engine was knackered?

Would her initially having said "Yes, I want this!" despite the fact that the independent RAC report you'd commissioned indicating that it was a pile of junk mean that you went ahead and handed your cash over anyway?

Simply because she'd made an ill-informed, snap judgement based on first impressions which subsequently were proven to be inaccurate?

Would you....?

Eh....?

Would you........?
No but I would then say to her that we would go and look at a few other second hand cars of the same make and model. :biggrin:

320Brexit negotiations - Page 16 Empty Re: Brexit negotiations Fri Nov 10 2017, 17:35

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I would say Wander, that viewing all the faults you list, undergone by this country, then I would ask, who got us here? Bearing in mind that it all happened within the last 40 years? Did we manage it all by ourselves, or did we work within an EU framework? Admittedly, we can't account for stupid politicians. (Has anyone heard of a 5 year plan recently ?)
I'm not blaming the EU for our ills, however, all they've been providing is more rules, whilst taking lots of our money. As for the farmers relying on the CAP, as I said earlier, without UK money, the EU are concerned that it will collapse, with the French having the most to lose.
Just as an aside, is the UK not investing overseas as well ?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 16 of 50]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 33 ... 50  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum