Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

If Jaaskelainen has been our best ever keeper who has been the second best?

+9
wanderlust
boltonbonce
okocha
Norpig
xmiles
Natasha Whittam
sunlight
Whitesince63
wessy
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Just seen this as wondered if people thought this bloke might be?

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Eddie Hopkinson

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

No. Eddie Hopkinson

Ha! You beat me to it xmiles!

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

xmiles wrote:Eddie Hopkinson

I'm old enough to have seen him play.

He was probably the best around at his time but that was 50 years ago!

His height - believe it or not - was just under 5ft 9 inches and he weighed under 12 stone - he'd simply stand no chance in the modern game and thus couldn't possibly be our second best keeper ever.

Eddie's stats -

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hoppy was the best I’ve seen followed by Jussi. Perhaps his relatively diminutive stature made the outstanding saves he made look even more spectacular as he had further to travel? But boy was he exciting to watch - must have had springs for legs.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

"Hoppy is better than Yashin" the song went and Yashin was the best in the world back then,

Hard to compare  both played at the highest level for most of their careers both racked up over 500 appearences, Hoppy's height in the modern game would probably have meant he would be rejected these days, one things for sure both were great servents of our club, both earned our respect and no one else should really be in the argument regarding the top two keepers ever. 

I can't seperate them.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Sluffy wrote:

His height - believe it or not - was just under 5ft 9 inches and he weighed under 12 stone - he'd simply stand no chance in the modern game and thus couldn't possibly be our second best keeper ever.

Eddie's stats -

I also saw him play , so because he was small and may not get the chance today he can't be regarded ? lets ignore the fact that he played 578 games at the top level and gained 14 Englang caps. No one mentioned that he had to play in todays game by that measure You could argue Nat Lofthouse was to slow to play today etc

He should be judged on his merits ie what he actually did.

Name one other Bolton Keeper that can be compare to Eddie other than Jussi ?.

Last edited by wessy on Sat Aug 22 2020, 10:51; edited 1 time in total

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hoppy's testimonial game was great. Reminds me to dig the programme out to refresh my memory.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

wessy wrote:
I also saw him play , so because he was small and may not get the chance today he can't be regarded ? lets ignore the fact that he played 519 games at the top level and gained 14 Englang caps. No one mentioned that he had to play in todays game by that measure You could argue Nat Lofthouse was to slow to play today etc

I would put Keith Branagan in third place.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Branagan, Siddall, Mcdonagh take your pick

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wessy wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Eddie's stats -

I also saw him play , so because he was small and may not get the chance today he can't be regarded ? lets ignore the fact that he played 519 games at the top level and gained 14 Englang caps. No one mentioned that he had to play in todays game by that measure You could argue Nat Lofthouse was to slow to play today etc

I DID though - I asked who was our greatest EVER two keepers and you've even answered your own question in respect to it!

If because of his lack of height and stature he couldn't get into today's teams then whoever have been in our 'today's teams' recently must by definition be a better player does it not?

Otherwise he would be playing in them and not they!

So how can he be our greatest EVER goalkeeper /second greatest when the likes of Matthews, Alnwick, Howard etc, to name just three would be picked ahead of him in todays game?

I'm not saying he wasn't great in his generation BUT that was then and the games and physicality of the game has moved on greatly since then.

And yes Lofthouse wouldn't be our greatest striker EVER if other players would be picked before him in the modern era.

By definition you can't be the greatest EVER if other people from the modern era would walk in a modern day team in front of them.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

You and i make the assumption due to height that he would not play in today's game, he may well have proved us both wrong, your making an argument to fit the post that's fine but the thread is who do you think would be rated number two and EH wins hands down.

Once you mention Howard and Matthews in the same breath as Eddie you simply lose the arguement.

Why are you comparing generations and then dismissing what they achieved because the games moved on (yes you said he was good in his time) but then dismiss what they achieved. 

End of the day it's about opinions, one thing is for certain if you did a poll of best goalscorers BWFC fans would to a man say Nat Lofthouse , not one would have any present day striker in that pole.

It's a bit like saying Ovett and Coe were not one of our best middle distance runners at 1500 because Farah ran faster times in that event

Last edited by wessy on Sat Aug 22 2020, 12:14; edited 1 time in total

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As a young lad Eddie was ten feet tall to me.  I'm not going to judge greatness on size, nor what he would have achieved in the modern game.
Over 500 appearances for the Wanderers, an England international, and an FA Cup winner in 1958, I'll judge him on that, and the love and respect he earned, on and off the field during a very fine career.
5ft 8inches, perhaps, but a giant to any Wanderer who had the privilege of seeing him play.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

boltonbonce wrote:As a young lad Eddie was ten feet tall to me.  I'm not going to judge greatness on size, nor what he would have achieved in the modern game.
Over 500 appearances for the Wanderers, an England international, and an FA Cup winner in 1958, I'll judge him on that, and the love and respect he earned, on and off the field during a very fine career.
5ft 8inches, perhaps, but a giant to any Wanderer who had the privilege of seeing him play.
:clap:

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wessy wrote:You and i make the assumption due to height that he would not play in today's game, he may well have proved us both wrong, your making an argument to fit the post that's fine but the thread is who do you think would be rated number two and EH wins hands down.

Once you mention Howard and Matthews in the same breath as Eddie you simply lose the arguement.

Why are you comparing generations and then dismissing what they achieved because the games moved on (yes you said he was good in his time) but then dismiss what they achieved. 

End of the day it's about opinions, one thing is for certain if you did a poll of best goalscorers BWFC fans would to a man say Nat Lofthouse , not one would have any present day striker in that pole.

It's a bit like saying Ovett and Coe were not one of our best middle distance at 1500  runners because Farah ran faster times in that event

It's all about context.

Hopkinson was a great keeper in his age, one of the very best but we all know that he would not be given a chance these days.

Our current defenders tower over him by almost a foot and the size of players both in and attack during corners would totally dominate and block him out of being in anyway effective.

You even stated your opinion that he wouldn't be picked in todays games - so you can't have it both ways that he couldn't get into a team that Matthews played in this season just gone, whilst at the same time say he's a better keeper than him - those two statements conflict with each other do they not?

Time moves on.

You can be the greatest of your generation but not get in the squad fifty years later with the same size and physicality you have.

Ovett and Coe were our best 1,500m runners 40 years ago and maybe with modern diet and training they could compete if they were born in the current generation of runners but Hopkinson is simply several inches short of even being considered to be a keeper these days.

Let me try to give you some context England's women keeper is Karen Bardsley and she is taller than Hopkinson at 5ft 9 inches - and I don't know if you watch the women's game but the keepers look like a pea on a drum, the goals are clearly too large for them.  Alisson at Liverpool who is 6ft 3 inches and fourteen and a half stone makes the goals look tiny in comparison, that because it is not just about height but also someone who is that much taller has arms and legs that are commensurately longer too - they get to places small guys/girls simply aren't able to reach or cover.

Alisson - even Matthews - are able to reach crosses and shots that Hopkinson in his prime simply physically could not.

That's just the way it is.

No disrespect to Hopkinson at all, and if he were alive today I'm sure he would happily say the same.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

No problem just as you say it's opinion, just like it's an opinion that he couldn't get too crosses today, the bottom line is he is being written out of history because of his height, so seeing this  is just a laugh.

I rule out Jussi on the grounds that he his too old and could not by your reasoning be picked above todays incumbent.

So the official pole now reads 1) Billy Crellin Appearences (0)
                                            2) Matt Alexander Appearemces (1)  Very Happy Very Happy lol!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Definitely John McGinlay, he never conceded a goal.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Laughing

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Let's not forget Richard H. Pym.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

McGinlay great record ,but not forgeting a true great did actually goalkeep for Bolton, Peter Shilton

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 7]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum