Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

These free courses the Gov has been on about

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I read in one of the funny papers online, quoting Boris Johnson, as saying that there will be free colledge courses, and what have you, available shortly.
I am interested in changing careers, however am ignorant of what is going to happen.
Anyone know which courses will be available and if they will be free to people already working?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sunlight wrote:I read in one of the funny papers online, quoting Boris Johnson, as saying that there will be free colledge courses, and what have you, available shortly.
I am interested in changing careers, however am ignorant of what is going to happen.
Anyone know which courses will be available and if they will be free to people already working?
It's an extension of existing schemes or rather the provision of funding for over 23s to go back to college and get NVQs in a new subject area (Level 3 equates to 1 A level) - which was already available for U23s.
Unfortunately it's kicking the can down the road as unlike apprenticeships there's no actual job.

So when we start to get the waves of Brexit/Covid unemployment, folk will be signposted into training and won't have to compete to find a job until they qualify a few years later (depending on the subject) - which will keep the Governments NEET targets down and effectively massage the numbers.

If you're seriously thinking about retraining I'd recommend online training e.g. the OU or evening/weekend FE classes whilst you're still in employment and once qualified, apply for other jobs whilst you still have the security of your existing job. You may be able to access an Adult Apprenticeship scheme as an alternative but only do that if it's a FT job with day or block release to get the quals. Whatever you do, don't give up a secure job to start afresh.

Because the key to all this is actual jobs and they are going to be in increasingly short supply.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

BTW the scheme is available to folk in employment but it will be a while until they roll it out and the details are sketchy. Here's a link.

You'll note that they have offered £100 million which is peanuts for a national scheme and that's because the money is for "consultants" and a pilot scheme.

The only part of the NW piloting the scheme is Liverpool.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Thank you for explaining all that. I know a lot more about it from reading that. I am going to keep an eye on it and make small steps. The thing that is the most difficult is knowing where to go and which people to contact.
Does anyone know any fields of work where there is a more sure way of finding work in?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sunlight wrote:Thank you for explaining all that. I know a lot more about it from reading that. I am going to keep an eye on it and make small steps. The thing that is the most difficult is knowing where to go and which people to contact.
Does anyone know any fields of work where there is a more sure way of finding work in?
Yes but I wouldn't recommend it to a nice lady like you Smile

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I judge my conduct by the most austere standards of rectitude and nobility, and keep ceaseless vigil over the Jewel of honour.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sunlight wrote:I judge my conduct by the most austere standards of rectitude and nobility, and keep ceaseless vigil over the Jewel of honour.
OK then I'll start a list..

Hooker
Boris's "assistant"

Anything in Essex
Nun

I'll update the list when I think of anything else.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

You know what would be interesting to see? If there was a chart that listed all the different ongoing jobs that people have in a town/city, and how many people do them.
One would then get an idea of the chances of getting into a particular field.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sunlight wrote:You know what would be interesting to see? If there was a chart that listed all the different ongoing jobs that people have in a town/city, and how many people do them.
One would then get an idea of the chances of getting into a particular field.
I'm sure Dominic Cummings knows?

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Allegedly, Cummings has said that anyone who is recieving any benefits from the state is going to be limited on the size of television that they are allowed in their house. New laws after brexit will mean that, unless a person is in full time employment, they will not be allowed to own a television screen of more than 32 inches.

sunlight

sunlight
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

One of my worries is that Gove may be behind it. That the courses may actually be `retraining camps` for the anti-Brexit traitors.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum