Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Eoin Doyle urges Bolton not to 'waste' Harrogate victory

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Eoin Doyle hopes the shackles can finally come off at Wanderers now they have a win on the board in League Two.

Saturday’s result at Harrogate, made possible by a goal and an assist from the Whites’ Irish striker, has relieved some of the pressure which had been building after a pointless start to the campaign.

Doyle, whose last strike had been in Swindon Town colours back in March, hopes it can be the start of a profitable month which sees 24 league points at stake.

“It’s a waste if we don’t kick on,” he said at the Keepmoat Stadium. “I’d hope it is a bit of a springboard. We were hoping to be a bit higher in the table at this point of the season but there’s a lot of games coming thick and fast in October, so this could be a huge month for us.”

Doyle, who had been last season’s top scorer in the division, was not overly concerned with his own mini-drought at Bolton.

“I don’t let it worry me now, really, but I did when I was younger,” he said. “I have got confidence in the lads around me and I know the chances are going to pop up eventually. One was always going to go in.

“Once the season ends, all I’m thinking about is the first one for next season.

“I’d rather have had one in September but now we can kick on.”

Harrogate’s direct football and plucky attitude ensured victory was anything but comfortable for Wanderers, who also had to contend with the loss of full-back Gethin Jones just before half time to a suspected fractured foot.

Doyle’s 11th minute strike gave Bolton a foothold and after the break he turned provider for strike partner Nathan Delfouneso.

“We knew exactly how they were going to play, the gaffer had said that first half hour was huge, and we came out strong,” he said. “I managed to get that early goal which settled the nerves a bit and thankfully we held on for the three points.

“It was important we got that first win, even though we didn’t keep the clean sheet.

“They came out with a different plan in the second half and made it a bit more difficult to play – but to get the three points, the lads are buzzing.”

Ian Evatt revealed after the game that he had mimicked Marcelo Bielsa’s famed ‘Murderball’ training drills in midweek in an effort to shake his team out of their early-season malaise.

“It was hectic – I don’t know how much you know about it but you can have a free kick down one end of the pitch and then the ball can get lashed in at the other end,” Doyle said.

“There were times there in the game I was looking around wondering where the ball was going to come in.

“I think there were times towards the end where we had to defend where you could see it had stuck to us.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum