Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Paralympics athletes...

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Paralympics athletes... Empty Paralympics athletes... Wed Sep 26 2012, 15:33

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I know this is a little late (ie not current trend wise) but I became a little tired of people remarking that paralympians and disabled people in general are just as good as the rest of us. Now, I don't mean that in a cruel way, I am sure the majority of disabled people are very nice - but they are less able than people who are not considered disabled. My problem is with disabled people themselves and do-gooders bleeting on that it is not very nice to say they are less able and sometimes even that the term disabled should not be in general use.

But how else do you describe someone who is less able bodied compared to the majority. If 99% of people only had one arm, but 1% of people had two arms then sure you would not say that the one armed people are disabled - they would be the normal standard. But we would have a word for 2 armed people to the tune of super-abled or something.

If disabled people really are just as able as everyone else then how about for the next paralympic games they have their own stadium designed by mentally disabled people, built by one armed builders, managed by blind folk and their dogs, with the opening ceremony music performed by deaf people and all the legwork done by wheel chair users. Then we will know who is best.

(please take this in the spirit it is meant. ie not all seriously. There is a genuine rant in there but I don't really have such horrid opinions about disability. You can class the final paragraph under the same thing as you would a poor taste joke)

2Paralympics athletes... Empty Re: Paralympics athletes... Wed Sep 26 2012, 16:10

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

jayjay23 wrote:I know this is a little late (ie not current trend wise) but I became a little tired of people remarking that paralympians and disabled people in general are just as good as the rest of us. Now, I don't mean that in a cruel way, I am sure the majority of disabled people are very nice - but they are less able than people who are not considered disabled. My problem is with disabled people themselves and do-gooders bleeting on that it is not very nice to say they are less able and sometimes even that the term disabled should not be in general use.

But how else do you describe someone who is less able bodied compared to the majority. If 99% of people only had one arm, but 1% of people had two arms then sure you would not say that the one armed people are disabled - they would be the normal standard. But we would have a word for 2 armed people to the tune of super-abled or something.

If disabled people really are just as able as everyone else then how about for the next paralympic games they have their own stadium designed by mentally disabled people, built by one armed builders, managed by blind folk and their dogs, with the opening ceremony music performed by deaf people and all the legwork done by wheel chair users. Then we will know who is best.

(please take this in the spirit it is meant. ie not all seriously. There is a genuine rant in there but I don't really have such horrid opinions about disability. You can class the final paragraph under the same thing as you would a poor taste joke)

If you going to try WUMing I'd leave the last paragraph out next time.

3Paralympics athletes... Empty Re: Paralympics athletes... Thu Sep 27 2012, 07:51

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I bet you wish you had written that nat , Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum