Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Prince Philip has passed away

+3
boltonbonce
Sluffy
karlypants
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Prince Philip has passed away Empty Prince Philip has passed away Fri Apr 09 2021, 12:11

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

2Prince Philip has passed away Empty Re: Prince Philip has passed away Fri Apr 09 2021, 12:22

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

RIP

3Prince Philip has passed away Empty Re: Prince Philip has passed away Fri Apr 09 2021, 13:20

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

RIP. My views on royalty are well known, but death touches us all, and the loss felt by his family today will be mirrored by many other families around the country, who are also mourning a loved one from their own family.
Royal or commoner, it hurts. My condolences.

4Prince Philip has passed away Empty Re: Prince Philip has passed away Fri Apr 09 2021, 13:24

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:RIP. My views on royalty are well known, but death touches us all, and the loss felt by his family today will be mirrored by many other families around the country, who are also mourning a loved one from their own family.
Royal or commoner, it hurts. My condolences.

A nice post that Boncey.

That's the way I feel about it too.

5Prince Philip has passed away Empty Re: Prince Philip has passed away Fri Apr 09 2021, 14:31

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

RIP

6Prince Philip has passed away Empty Re: Prince Philip has passed away Fri Apr 09 2021, 15:59

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

The end of an era. RIP

7Prince Philip has passed away Empty Re: Prince Philip has passed away Sat Apr 10 2021, 10:55

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

RIP Philip. My thoughts and condolences are with the Queen.

The Guardian wrote:

It is thought the Duke of Sussex, who lives in the US, is likely to be among the small number of mourners who will be present, though it is not known if Meghan, who is pregnant, will join him. The couple paid tribute to Philip on their Archewell website on Friday, which switched to a memorial page. It read simply: “In loving memory of His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh 1921-2021. Thank you for your service … You will be greatly missed.”

That's what the Grauniad thinks is a tribute! I'd call it colder than a fishmonger's slab.

Last edited by Ten Bobsworth on Mon Apr 12 2021, 07:58; edited 1 time in total

8Prince Philip has passed away Empty Re: Prince Philip has passed away Sat Apr 10 2021, 12:34

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Ten Bobsworth wrote:RIP Philip. My thoughts and condolences are with the Queen.

The Guardian wrote:

It is thought the Duke of Sussex, who lives in the US, is likely to be among the small number of mourners who will be present, though it is not known if Meghan, who is pregnant, will join him. The couple paid tribute to Philip on their Archewell website on Friday, which switched to a memorial page. It read simply: “In loving memory of His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh 1921-2021. Thank you for your service … You will be greatly missed.”

That's what the Grauniad thinks is a tribute! I'd call it colder than a fishmonger's slab of marble

I don't realy understand it Bob, just like you I suspect, as for me family has always been important.

Yes there's always ups and downs and yes people move on and away - such as Harry seems to have with his choice of wife and living abroad but even with his bust up with the rest of the family and even if he wasn't particularly close to his grandad, it is still his grandad, his dad's dad, who no doubt will be deeply distressed right now.

No doubt it will be deeply awkward for Harry and not something he will particularly want to be doing - and he's clearly put his wife before his own family and gone down a different path, as he is entitled to do, but the bond of his father, brother and grandma should still be enough to go and pay his respects and do the right thing.

I've not followed this Archwell stuff and no doubt it is aimed at a different market than me but still you would have thought with the personal involvement of Harry in it, that it's statement would be a lot more warm and loving in tone than how it reads.

Going off on a tangent but still on topic, I saw a clip...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-56699776

...of a bloke bringing his two kids to Buckingham Palace to show their respects - but at 1am in the morning!

Now I know it isn't a school night and I know and understand they did so to miss the crowds and also that it is something the kids will remember for the rest of their lifes but was it the right thing to do?

Obviously I don't know where they have travelled from, or what time they would get home but it seemed somehow wrong to me - not though I'm saying how someone should raise their kids.

I could understand it if they had done this and got there at say 8 or 9pm but one o'clock in the morning???

Fwiw I had a stroll to Windsor Castle yesterday, not really to show my respects but mainly to have a little look at what was going on.

I got there late afternoon and there really wasn't much to see at all.

There were a number of camera crews outside the main gate but I've seen bigger crowds of people in the local park on a normal lockdown 'stay in doors' day, than who were stood outside the castle.

The only thing I was surprised at though was the castle wasn't flying a flag at half mast (nor is it today as I can see from my window), no doubt they know what the protocol is though in these circumstances.

I had a little walk down Eton High Street too, at the time, and it was one of those places that had a union jack flying outside every shop in recent weeks and strangly three quarters of them were furled (with black plastic ties) but the rest were not?  

I'm guessing it was the local council that put them up and the local council that furled them too, but couldn't understand why they left a few?

Not that it matters really, just a bit curious, that's all.

9Prince Philip has passed away Empty Re: Prince Philip has passed away Sat Apr 10 2021, 13:56

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

RIP Prince Philip. My condolences to your family.

10Prince Philip has passed away Empty Re: Prince Philip has passed away Sun Apr 11 2021, 07:55

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

'Charles spoke after it was announced that Philip’s funeral would be held on Saturday, with the Duke of Sussex quickly confirming he would travel from California to attend. However Prince Harry’s wife Meghan, who is pregnant, will not be attending on the advice of her physician, a palace spokesperson announced', says the Observer this morning.

There's more than a few funerals end in a punch up at the wake afterwards, Sluffy. Harry's lucky that this one probably won't.

11Prince Philip has passed away Empty Re: Prince Philip has passed away Sun Apr 11 2021, 07:58

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:'Charles spoke after it was announced that Philip’s funeral would be held on Saturday, with the Duke of Sussex quickly confirming he would travel from California to attend. However Prince Harry’s wife Meghan, who is pregnant, will not be attending on the advice of her physician, a palace spokesperson announced', says the Observer this morning.

There's more than a few funerals end in a punch up at the wake afterwards, Sluffy. Harry's lucky that this one probably won't.
Lucky? I'd back ginger to beat any of them in a fight. Edward would hold the coats.

12Prince Philip has passed away Empty Re: Prince Philip has passed away Sun Apr 11 2021, 09:53

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
Lucky? I'd back ginger to beat any of them in a fight. Edward would hold the coats.
Don't you think Anne, with a riding crop, could marmalise the Ginger Whinger? I do.

13Prince Philip has passed away Empty Re: Prince Philip has passed away Sun Apr 11 2021, 12:50

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I can’t see MM ever setting foot on British soil unless she came over for a holiday after perhaps divorcing in the future.

You never throw your family under a bus like they both have especially in the public eye even if they think it’s true. 

There’s no way of undoing the damage they have done in my opinion.

It’s going to end in tears.

14Prince Philip has passed away Empty Re: Prince Philip has passed away Sun Apr 11 2021, 13:31

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

My favourite memory of Prince Philip and Nat Lofthouse are both here:

15Prince Philip has passed away Empty Re: Prince Philip has passed away Fri Apr 16 2021, 10:03

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They've cancelled tomorrow's tv racing. My dander is up now. bounce

16Prince Philip has passed away Empty Re: Prince Philip has passed away Sat Apr 17 2021, 17:46

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

It kind of puts our result today into some sort of perspective when you see a ninty odd year old widow grieving for her loved one of over seventy years.

God bless her, she must be hurting.

Prince Philip has passed away _118096174_hi066815888

17Prince Philip has passed away Empty Re: Prince Philip has passed away Wed Apr 21 2021, 12:40

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:They've cancelled tomorrow's tv racing. My dander is up now. bounce
Here's another nice picture of the late Duke Of Edinburgh, Boncey. You might recognise the guy above his left shoulder but what about the rest? 

I'm not seeing any divers btw. There weren't many in those days but I do remember Everton's Dave Hickson doing a series of spectacular rollovers when he was upended once.

Prince Philip has passed away EyiKjOfWQAAmhuv?format=jpg&name=large

18Prince Philip has passed away Empty Re: Prince Philip has passed away Sat Apr 24 2021, 21:39

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
Here's another nice picture of the late Duke Of Edinburgh, Boncey. You might recognise the guy above his left shoulder but what about the rest? 

I'm not seeing any divers btw. There weren't many in those days but I do remember Everton's Dave Hickson doing a series of spectacular rollovers when he was upended once.

Prince Philip has passed away EyiKjOfWQAAmhuv?format=jpg&name=large
Bit before your time, Boncey? This was Lofty in his prime but who is the guy shaking hands with Prince Philip? Here's a clue. At least I reckon it is.

19Prince Philip has passed away Empty Re: Prince Philip has passed away Sat Apr 24 2021, 22:46

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's Jack Froggatt, Bob. Meeting the Duke before the England v Wales game in 1952. England won 5-2, and Lofty got a couple, the second a thirty yarder.

20Prince Philip has passed away Empty Re: Prince Philip has passed away Sun Apr 25 2021, 07:59

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:It's Jack Froggatt, Bob. Meeting the Duke before the England v Wales game in 1952. England won 5-2, and Lofty got a couple, the second a thirty yarder.
I'm sure you are right about most of this, Boncey, but I think its Redfern Froggatt making his England debut and that his cousin Jack Froggatt's the one on his left. Arsenal's Lionel Smith's to his right and then Chelsea's Roy Bentley. It was the same year that Lofty earned the title 'Lion Of Vienna' and the season he won the Football Writers Player of the Year, which is why I posted it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum