Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ian Evatt's verdict on the 2-0 win against Crewe

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ian Evatt's verdict on the 2-0 win against Crewe 13199127

Ian Evatt was happy to have “stopped the rot” in League One with a comfortable win against Crewe.

Josh Sheehan’s 50th minute penalty was followed quickly by Amadou Bakayoko’s first league goal since the opening day of the season as Bolton ended a five-game wait for a win.

Rochdale had been despatched in the Papa John’s Trophy but the Whites’ form had taken a severe dip in October, which meant the performance was of secondary concern.

“I’m very happy with the win,” Evatt said. “The result was the most important thing today.

“First half they were very deep and almost played a back six, and I understand the nerves from the crowd because if we had won our last three or four games they would probably have thought it was a good half of football.

“We controlled possession, they were so deep that we had to pick our way through, and increase the tempo at certain moments, then take them. We did that but didn’t have a finishing touch.

“I don’t think you create chance after chance against teams in a low block, especially a back five or six like that. You have to be patient.

“I understand because of the last few results that there were a few nerves but in the second half we came out fast, increased the tempo, got the goals. Then, all of a sudden, they have nothing to lose and start passing the ball, we got a bit nervous. All in all, a win is a win.”

Wanderers laboured a little in the first half but switched their midfield balance after the break with Josh Sheehan pushed up alongside Kieran Lee.

“We just made them recognise where the space was at half time, making a slight tactical tweak,” he explained.

“We started with double pivot and a 10 in the first half but changed it to a six and two eights in the second half and started to get more joy, got the goals, then changed it back just to manage the game to get us over the line.

“I wouldn’t say we are relieved but we are happy to win a game. It had been a long October but we stopped the rot a bit with the cup performances – I know we drew against Stockport but we should have won that game.

“It was important we won at all costs tonight. We know we can be better and we will be better. But we have stopped the rot now and we can focus on the cup game then the difficult trip to Wycombe next week.”

Wanderers were without striker Eoin Doyle, with Evatt explaining after the game that he had withdrawn from the squad with a calf injury.

“He has got a calf injury and to be honest he has been playing really well despite being in a lot of pain,” he said.

“It’s a grade one, which is a small tear. But Eoin being Eoin, he was willing to put himself out there but the risk of losing him for three or four weeks was too big to take, so we decided against it.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum