Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lineker Tweet

+6
Ten Bobsworth
Cajunboy
Norpig
BoltonTillIDie
Whitesince63
boltonbonce
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Lineker Tweet Empty Lineker Tweet Fri Mar 10 2023, 23:03

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

What do you think about all of the kefuffle?

It all seems easy to me.

Anyone working in a public institution - ie they serve all the general public irrespective of race, colour, creed, political persuasion or anything else that may seem to be potentially discriminatory - should keep their own views on such as private.

This simply shows that public services are there to provide a service to all without any perceived bias or favouritism to any person, group or organisation.

In other words the public service is seen to be impartial equal and accessible to all.

Therefore, Lineker (who argues that he technically he is working freelance) is being paid by the BBC should act in such a way that his private views should not conflict with those of his employer (as a freelance he is a contractor and the BBC is his client).

He is free to air his views on anything as long as it does not impinge on the standing of the organisation he is working for.

The BBC is political neutral organisation (or at least it very much attempts to be).

If this is to onerous for Lineker, then he should terminate his contract and be free then to say whatever he likes.

I'm all for free speech and freedom of the press but not everything can be said or reported without there being some consequences or harm to others.  For instance you can't say racist things and then claim it to be ok because it's free speech can you?

There has to be some sort of balance and for me, Lineker should not be both a very high profile, public service contractor and at the same time state his political views publicly to his nine million twitter followers.

He can do one thing or the other but not both at the same time.

There seems these days an 'entitlement' by many to do what they want, without consequences - how many people didn't wear masks, social distance and not abuse lockdowns recently for instance?

I'm sure Lineker thinks he's in the right to say what he wants AND work at a public service organisation, which the BBC is but his actions are 'politicising' an organisation whose raison d'etre is to be nonpolitical and serving all equally and without prejudice.

What do others think?

2Lineker Tweet Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Fri Mar 10 2023, 23:58

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

They're coming for David Attenborough now.

3Lineker Tweet Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Sat Mar 11 2023, 08:28

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Lineker is a smug, puffed-up, vastly overpaid public servant who thinks (or at least thought) that he could get away with riding a coach and horses through his obligations to the BBC, trashing further its increasingly dubious reputation and revelling in doing so. His comeuppance has been delayed far too long.

4Lineker Tweet Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Sat Mar 11 2023, 08:29

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fingers crossed jug ears gets the chop at the beeb!

5Lineker Tweet Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Sat Mar 11 2023, 08:41

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fook me, talk about overreaction.

There's a war going on in Ukraine, gun crime is on the rise, and a cost of living crisis not seen in decades but people are getting their big knickers in a twist over a comment by an ex-footballer.

Embarrassing.

He'll be back presenting MotD by next Saturday. And rightly so.

6Lineker Tweet Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Sat Mar 11 2023, 08:50

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Good to see all his co-presenters back him.

7Lineker Tweet Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Sat Mar 11 2023, 09:11

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

BoltonTillIDie wrote:Good to see all his co-presenters back him.  
Its a gravy train. None of them will be missed.

P.S. Sorry, I missed out tax dodger

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/may/07/gary-linekers-political-tweets-could-help-him-avoid-49m-tax-bill

8Lineker Tweet Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Sat Mar 11 2023, 09:20

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

He was talking about the language used by Braverman and co....not about the rights and wrongs of the actual bill, which, rather like Brexit, is too complicated and complex to have entrenched, one-eyed opinions about. There are pros and cons on both sides of the argument.

And he was right:- the government's references to "swarms", "invasion" etc have inflammatory overtones which should be the object of scrutiny and possible condemnation, rather than the focus being on an out-of-office tweet by a freelancer. 

Far more worrying are the actions of the chairman of the BBC  himself who is under pressure due to the huge loan he was party to granting in favour of Boris. Now that IS political and not impartial.

Whether you support Lineker or not has no bearing whatsoever on the real issue of "challenging" the law, which the Tories have so often been guilty of. They have typically  jumped up and down to deflect from the highly contentious rights and wrongs of their migration policy, supported, of course, by the rabid press.

9Lineker Tweet Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Sat Mar 11 2023, 09:23

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
BoltonTillIDie wrote:Good to see all his co-presenters back him.  
Its a gravy train. None of them will be missed.

P.S. Sorry, I missed out tax dodger
Correct!

10Lineker Tweet Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Sat Mar 11 2023, 09:41

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

okocha wrote:He was talking about the language used by Braverman and co....not about the rights and wrongs of the actual bill, which, rather like Brexit, is too complicated and complex to have entrenched, one-eyed opinions about. There are pros and cons on both sides of the argument.

And he was right:- the government's references to "swarms", "invasion" etc have inflammatory overtones which should be the object of scrutiny and possible condemnation, rather than the focus being on an out-of-office tweet by a freelancer. 

Far more worrying are the actions of the chairman of the BBC  himself who is under pressure due to the huge loan he was party to granting in favour of Boris. Now that IS political and not impartial.

Whether you support Lineker or not has no bearing whatsoever on the real issue of "challenging" the law, which the Tories have so often been guilty of. They have typically  jumped up and down to deflect from the highly contentious rights and wrongs of their migration policy, supported, of course, by the rabid press.
Whilst I don’t disagree with you on the language bit Oko, I think it was the silly comparison with the Germans under Hitler that rankled most. Of course he’s entitled to a view, we all are but we aren’t all highly/overpaid sports presenters with a platform via the BBC which we as license payers pay for. He’s paid to comment on sports not politics and I think that if he wishes to continue to make highly political statements and criticisms then he should do the honourable thing, resign and move to a private company where he is not speaking on behalf of our national broadcaster. Hopefully he’ll take his mates with him because I’ve no time for any of them, even less now.

11Lineker Tweet Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Sat Mar 11 2023, 10:39

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whitesince63 wrote:Whilst I don’t disagree with you on the language bit Oko, I think it was the silly comparison with the Germans under Hitler that rankled most. Of course he’s entitled to a view, we all are but we aren’t all highly/overpaid sports presenters with a platform via the BBC which we as license payers pay for. He’s paid to comment on sports not politics and I think that if he wishes to continue to make highly political statements and criticisms then he should do the honourable thing, resign and move to a private company where he is not speaking on behalf of our national broadcaster. Hopefully he’ll take his mates with him because I’ve no time for any of them, even less now.

Ha ha, what a load of crap.

He didn't make the comment on MotD or on a BBC Twitter account, he made it on his personal Twitter feed. Which he's entitled to do. I'm intelligent enough to realise he doesn't speak for the BBC, perhaps you aren't?

12Lineker Tweet Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Sat Mar 11 2023, 10:41

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Alex Scott, the regular host of Football Focus since May 2021, has told the BBC that she would be suspendin hostin the mid-day football show in solidarity with Gary Lineker.

That's alright luv, I wouldn't be watchin anyway so I'll not be missin anythin.

13Lineker Tweet Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Sat Mar 11 2023, 10:44

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:Alex Scott, the regular host of Football Focus since May 2021, has told the BBC that she would be suspendin hostin the mid-day football show in solidarity with Gary Lineker.

That's alright luv, I wouldn't be watchin anyway so I won't be missin anythin.

So why are you getting so worked up over something you don't watch?

14Lineker Tweet Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Sat Mar 11 2023, 10:55

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:

So why are you getting so worked up over something you don't watch?

Gettin worked up over somethin? How dumb are you?

No Lineker, no Shearer, no Scott. Its amazin. What's not to like? It might even be worth tunin in.

15Lineker Tweet Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Sat Mar 11 2023, 11:02

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He'll be back by next weekend, if he wants to be.

It wouldn't even surprise me if he presents tonight.

Seems the BBC made a huge mistake on this one, only a few Tory politicians and supporters seem to think they made the right call. I wonder why?

16Lineker Tweet Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Sat Mar 11 2023, 11:06

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Final score presenters also joining the stand of solidarity.

17Lineker Tweet Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Sat Mar 11 2023, 11:11

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Football Focus today is being replaced with Bargain Hunt. They should have got Lord Sugar to do it.

18Lineker Tweet Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Sat Mar 11 2023, 11:14

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

BoltonTillIDie wrote:Final score presenters also joining the stand of solidarity.
Ooh, I will miss them all. Shocked Shocked Shocked

19Lineker Tweet Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Sat Mar 11 2023, 11:19

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Football Focus today is being replaced with Bargain Hunt. They should have got Lord Sugar to do it.
Alan sugar is another cock.

20Lineker Tweet Empty Re: Lineker Tweet Sat Mar 11 2023, 11:26

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:
Alan sugar is another cock.
Who didn't get pulled from The Apprentice when he attacked Corbyn.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum