Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Exeter 0-1 Bolton

+6
terenceanne
karlypants
Sluffy
BoltonTillIDie
wanderlust
boltonbonce
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Exeter 0-1 Bolton Tue Apr 04 2023, 10:08

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

After the highs of Wembley we are back in action at Exeter on Friday afternoon.

Brilliant on the wide open space of Wembley but usually rubbish on tight, small pitches it's going to be interesting to see which BWFC turns up.

We really should make the play-offs comfortably with the fixtures we have left, but I just have a feeling we're going to fook it up.

2Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Exeter 0-1 Bolton Tue Apr 04 2023, 10:13

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:After the highs of Wembley we are back in action at Exeter on Friday afternoon.

Brilliant on the wide open space of Wembley but usually rubbish on tight, small pitches it's going to be interesting to see which BWFC turns up.

We really should make the play-offs comfortably with the fixtures we have left, but I just have a feeling we're going to fook it up.
Hope you're wrong Nat, but I wouldn't put it past us.

3Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Exeter 0-1 Bolton Tue Apr 04 2023, 13:38

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I watched the Wembley game back on telly last night and had to listen to the guff the commentators were saying about how the win could boost our promotion push. In my experience the opposite happens more.
Our league form slumped after our semifinal win at Accy and there is history of teams winning the cup and then slumping in the league so Evatt is going to have to be at his managerial best from here on in.
For example, last season Rotherham nearly threw away their promotion spot winning only 3 of their last seven after the cup final - while Sutton who they beat at Wembley went on a fantastic run and almost reached the playoffs.
Previous year, Sunderland were in the automatic places when they won the PJT. After Wembley they slumped and ended up losing in the playoffs.

Sports psychology is a complex business and Evatt is going to have his work cut out to make damn sure we don't have another cup hangover. That said, I reckon he's smart enough to recognise the danger and stamp out any ego or complacency.

4Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Exeter 0-1 Bolton Tue Apr 04 2023, 17:45

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wanderlust wrote:I watched the Wembley game back on telly last night and had to listen to the guff the commentators were saying about how the win could boost our promotion push. In my experience the opposite happens more.
Our league form slumped after our semifinal win at Accy and there is history of teams winning the cup and then slumping in the league so Evatt is going to have to be at his managerial best from here on in.
For example, last season Rotherham nearly threw away their promotion spot winning only 3 of their last seven after the cup final - while Sutton who they beat at Wembley went on a fantastic run and almost reached the playoffs.
Previous year, Sunderland were in the automatic places when they won the PJT. After Wembley they slumped and ended up losing in the playoffs.

Sports psychology is a complex business and Evatt is going to have his work cut out to make damn sure we don't have another cup hangover. That said, I reckon he's smart enough to recognise the danger and stamp out any ego or complacency.

I believe there are a number of other factors to consider as to how teams perform after a cup final win, whilst still needing to play games for promotion/playoff place, such as loss of players to suspensions and injury's, player fatigue in terms of recovery from games and number and frequency of games to come and depth and quality of squad to replace key players who get injured, suspended, fatigued, etc.

Also you have to consider what is at stake for the opposing teams in terms are they needing points for promotion or to avoid relegation.  Surprising how often teams who have been crap all season, start winning games, when they have to 'go for it' as draws and defeats won't save them.

Personally I think the squad became weaker after the January window when we lost Dappo, Sadlier and Aimson, I'm not convinced yet at Adeboyejo, Williams and Mbete who were roughly straight swaps made us any better but on the plus side it looks as though John is now in from the cold and Johnston and Thomason back from injury.

I believe we will be in the playoff positions come the end of the season but I'm not convinced we are the third best team in our league this season.

Just need a little luck once we manage to get to the playoffs though!

5Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Exeter 0-1 Bolton Wed Apr 05 2023, 16:39

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A season defining month. The first of 7 league games. Looking at the games left, we should be OK, but I'm sure the teams at the bottom will also be pushing for survival. There are no easy games (Except at Wembley Very Happy )

6Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Exeter 0-1 Bolton Wed Apr 05 2023, 18:28

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Unlike the semi final where I suspect there was a lot of pressure and relief amongst the squad when we won through to the Wembley final, I think the win on Sunday and the way we won will have a completely opposite affect and the squad will be hugely encouraged by it. Whilst Exeter on Friday will be arguably our toughest fixture left on paper I actually expect us to do well there. The biggest problem for IE will now be who he picks because he’ll have pretty much a full squad and with Johnson and Thomason included now has numerous options to choose from. It’s not just the starting eleven either, some will not even be on the bench!! Personally I’d start with the same eleven he did on Sunday and yes that includes Kachunga who for me was superb and had his best game for us. I haven’t heard how Toal is doing after his injury but I’d be surprised if he was fit so I’d go with Johnson to start and Mbete on the bench. I’m glad I’m not Ian Evatt for sure because this will be his toughest pick yet.

7Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Exeter 0-1 Bolton Thu Apr 06 2023, 12:17

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'd keep the same team that won at Wembley (with Johnston replacing Toal), there's no need to stick any of the cup-tied players back in as none have done very much.

Give the bingo machine a week off.

2-1 to Exeter.

8Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Exeter 0-1 Bolton Thu Apr 06 2023, 14:04

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I suspect there will be at least one other change other than Johnston for Toal and that would be Kachunga being replaced.

I would think by Adeboyejo but Evatt also has a fondness to play Shoretire to partner Charles as well.

He might also swop Lee for Sheehan but it looks to me that for now that Evatt fancies Sheehan and I think he will stick with him to start.

So two changes for me Johnson and Adeboyejo replacing Toal and Kachunga.

I'm going for a 2-0 win to us.

9Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Exeter 0-1 Bolton Thu Apr 06 2023, 14:36

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ignore pissy knickers as we will continue our great run after winning the Trophy.

1-3 to the Whites!

10Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Exeter 0-1 Bolton Thu Apr 06 2023, 15:36

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:Ignore pissy knickers as we will continue our great run after winning the Trophy.

1-3 to the Whites!

Our great run of one game?

::bellend::

11Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Exeter 0-1 Bolton Thu Apr 06 2023, 17:24

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
karlypants wrote:Ignore pissy knickers as we will continue our great run after winning the Trophy.

1-3 to the Whites!

Our great run of one game?

::bellend::

Absolutely. Very Happy

Stop being so negative!

Last edited by karlypants on Thu Apr 06 2023, 17:29; edited 1 time in total

12Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Exeter 0-1 Bolton Thu Apr 06 2023, 17:28

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

13Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Exeter 0-1 Bolton Fri Apr 07 2023, 11:02

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

14Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Exeter 0-1 Bolton Fri Apr 07 2023, 14:51

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

15Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Exeter 0-1 Bolton Fri Apr 07 2023, 15:43

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

1-0 to Bolton

16Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Exeter 0-1 Bolton Fri Apr 07 2023, 15:53

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Radio Nuts is now live!

17Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Exeter 0-1 Bolton Fri Apr 07 2023, 15:57

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sorry guys, got sidetracked. :biggrin:

18Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Exeter 0-1 Bolton Fri Apr 07 2023, 17:27

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Taking the three points but to be fair they deserved a draw at least out of it.
A lot of backwards and sideways passing today. The Sheehan thru ball shows you what can be done with a little forward thinking. Remaining in 5th on goal difference so hopefully a few more goals on Monday will suit us.
COYWM

19Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Exeter 0-1 Bolton Fri Apr 07 2023, 17:31

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Terrific hard fought performance against an in form attacking Exeter side buoyed on by a big crowd. Given our somewhat makeshift defence top marks to all of them. First half we were far the better side and but for a few poor passes when through could/should have been more than one up but we changed it in the second half for long balls which gave all the emphasis to Exeter. They’re a very good passing and footballing side but some stonewall defending saw us through. Lots of tired minds and legs at the end but 3 very valuable points given the other results so onwards and upwards to Monday now but I really hope Rico fit because if we thought today was an aerial onslaught, Monday will be much worse!!

20Exeter 0-1 Bolton Empty Re: Exeter 0-1 Bolton Fri Apr 07 2023, 18:25

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Considering our injury problems at the back that was a great result, but we were fortunate at times, they put us under a lot of pressure.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum