Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alfie May absence won't make Cheltenham trip any easier, says Evatt

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Alfie May absence won't make Cheltenham trip any easier, says Evatt 16002296

Alfie May’s departure at Cheltenham Town this summer won’t mean an easy ride for Wanderers at Whaddon Road.

Ian Evatt is a fan of the striker, who sealed a move to Charlton Athletic in July after becoming the Robins’ record goal-scorer with 67 strikes in all competitions.

Wade Elliott has yet to replace May and is down to just two fit front men for the Whites’ visit this weekend.

But his absence won’t lull Evatt and his players into a false sense of security and the Bolton boss is determined to avenge one of last season’s most disappointing showings.

“Alfie is a very good football player at this level and he was very successful in his time at Cheltenham but I know Wade and I know he will have replacements lined up to take his place and carry on again – that’s the way football works,” he told The Bolton News.

“I know he will have his team motivated and we know exactly what we are going into. It won’t be easy because they are especially difficult to beat at home.

“We will have to be better than we were there last season but I know we can be, so let’s see how it plays out.”

Victor Adeboyejo got off the mark with a header on the opening day of the season against Lincoln City and Evatt believes there are signs his game has progressed over the summer.

The Nigerian front man scored three goals for Bolton after a £450,000 move from Burton Albion in January but failed to replicate the sort of prolific scoring form he had shown for the Brewers.

“What we have tried to do is recruit a team which all have a point to prove,” he said. “The thing in football is that every season you have something to prove to someone because football fans have very short memories sometimes.

“Sometimes football owners do too – and fortunately for me, mine don’t!

“Things can change for you really quickly but Victor is one of those players who wants to go out there with a chip on his shoulder looking to show people how good he can be.

“I think he has started the season really well and I like the positions he is getting into, so I will back him to score goals.

“People will look at Victor’s goal record and see his time at Barnsley and his time at Burton – but at Barnsley he never played as a number nine,” he said.

“His first go was the first six months at Burton, where his return was exceptional.

“For him to become a more rounded player will take time and we need to work with him but we saw huge potential and we have invested in him. It is up to me and the rest of the coaching staff to unlock that potential and I have seen huge positives from him in pre-season, he is quicker, stronger, fitter and leaner and his technical work is improving too.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum