Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 1-1 Barnsley - Ian Evatt's match verdict

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton 1-1 Barnsley - Ian Evatt's match verdict 17713169

Ian Evatt “had words” with Zac Ashworth before his point-saving goal against Barnsley.

The Bolton boss gave the young wing-back a piece of his mind at half time having seen several crosses go begging – and then saw him power home a header from a magical ball from new signing Aaron Collins.

Ashworth had missed the decisive penalty at Blackpool in midweek but picked himself up to score his third goal in all competitions this season in a frenetic game.

Wanderers fell behind after only four minutes when three players were left ball-watching as Adam Phillps flicked on a long throw for Devante Cole to score.

Barnsley had other chances too – but Ashworth produced a fine finish, and second-half sub Collins nearly capped a memorable debut with a deflected shot at the end, pushed away by keeper Liam Roberts.

“It was a really good game, a tough one,” Evatt said. “First half I thought we had large spells of control and dominance but we had conceded a really poor set play goal, which gave them a huge lift.

“I thought we wrestled back control of the game. And it looked like a lot of games involving Barnsley do – we had possession, control, and they are waiting for transition moments, turnovers and set plays. We had to find a way.

“First half, I was frustrated that when we got into good wide areas, the opposite wing-back wasn’t arriving at the back post and the strikers weren’t in the right place to score.

“When we did it, we scored. I had a few words with Zac at half time about the sort of positions we needed him to be in when the ball came in from the right.

“I think on reflection, after going behind, we did well considering what we had been through this week and the turbulence of the window, injuries, some suspensions, players returning from knocks and niggles, I think it is a positive point.”

On Collins’ impact after he and Jon Dadi Bodvarsson replaced Dion Charles and Victor Adeboyejo, the manager added: “What a ball – it was an unbelievable cross and that is what he is capable of doing. A great moment of quality and I thought he had won it for us with the deflected shot at the end.”

Collins furthered his case for a start at Cambridge United on Tuesday night, and rumours have continued to circulate concerning the future of Adeboyejo – who has attracted interest from Turkish club Goztepe.

“I am tempted to start with them all every week because I rate them all,” Evatt said.

“It was a decision I made and I think Dion and Victor have been excellent for large spells of the season and they deserved to go again.

“We know now that we have quality in the squad and that we can pick teams accordingly.”

Wanderers gave a debut to Caleb Taylor who signed on loan from West Brom on deadline day following an injury to captain, Ricardo Santos.

Taylor had to be substituted towards the end of the game but Evatt insisted the problem was not a major one.

“Caleb was just cramp,” he said. “He has had a hectic week, not knowing which club he was going to play for, coming up here, playing for a day, but there is no problem.

“Rico is improving. He will probably be another week to 10 days away, which is not a disaster. But he will be missing for the next two or three games.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum