Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Doesn't look as though we are going to be buying Craig Dawson

+3
Reebok_Rebel
wanderlust
Sluffy
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Craig Dawson has a big part to play in West Bromwich Albion’s long-term future - although he might spend some part of the remainder of the season on loan away from The Hawthorns.

The 22-year-old centre-half has found opportunities very hard to come by this season.

The ex-Rochdale man has yet to feature in the Premier League having found himself behind Gabriel Tamas in Albion’s pecking order.

With Jonas Olsson due back from injury soon, there could be a temptation for Albion to cash-in on Dawson.

But Steve Clarke insists the former England under-21 man still has a big future at The Hawthorns.

That will come as a blow to Bolton who had their hearts set on a permanent deal for Dawson.

Albion have no intention in selling Dawson, who has particularly impressed during his international outings.

Clarke said: “Craig is a top prospect, a top talent, he has been really unfortunate that Jonas Olsson and Gareth McAuley have been outstanding. The back-up this year has been Gabi Tamas who also been outstanding and he’s found his chances very limited.

“At some stage between now and the end of the season - if the injury situation stays the same and Jonas, Gareth and Gabi are ok - I would like Craig to go out and get some games but it would be a temporary measure.

“He has a big big future here and in the game.”

Rather than kick up a fuss during his absence, Dawson has knuckled down and tried to force his way back into Clarke’s plans.

The Albion boss has been impressed with his player’s conduct.

“He’s an absolute dream for a coach,” said Clarke. “He’s a consumate professional who comes in and works hard. He’s got reason to come and knock on my door every month and ask what’s happening.

“Craig comes in every day and I’ve seen improvement in him since I came. He’s getting better - I can see that just from working with him.

“Given the right circumstances we will look to get him out.”

Albion take on Reading this afternoon. Clarke expects a strong Royals’ side following signs their recent poor form has come to an end.

“Whenever you go to play Reading, you know they are always going to be hard working and industrious,” added Clarke.

“We know we have to match them for that work-rate and then we have to try and find a little bit of quality that will win the game for us. But we expect a difficult game.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If Clarke said "we're not selling" I'd believe it, but the 2 sentences that suggest that he isn't for sale (That will come as a blow to Bolton who had their hearts set on a permanent deal for Dawson. Albion have no intention in selling Dawson, who has particularly impressed during his international outings) were not Clarke quotes - they were written by the journo.

Still it doesn't sound promising and worse still, I suspect Dawson was Nixon's "mystery man" - which if true suggests we haven't got another defender lined up.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Dawson wouldn't come to Bolton anyway.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Too lightweight.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

If I was CD id be seething at that comment.

he's a decent player, but his transfer would involve money changing hands - something we don't do unless they are just about able to legally drink and play in a lower league...

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

In all honesty I've never heard of him.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok_Rebel wrote:If I was CD id be seething at that comment.

he's a decent player, but his transfer would involve money changing hands - something we don't do unless they are just about able to legally drink and play in a lower league...

Complete rubbish.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Complete rubbish.

who, so far have we signed in this window (or 'looked' at) except CD that does not fit this description?

What is the problem with young, cheap players all of a sudden? I’d have thought they’re exactly who we should be targeting.

The club does spend money, more than we can afford really.

Biggest problem is that money hasn't been spent wisely for a long time, eg N'gog, Mills, Sordell (so far) M

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:
What is the problem with young, cheap players all of a sudden?

Because they have no experience and don't make the first 11 any better.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok_Rebel wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Complete rubbish.

who, so far have we signed in this window (or 'looked' at) except CD that does not fit this description?

you seem to have a hangup about if it's not big money it's not worth doing, you also falsely claim this club won't spend money.

and when someone says but what about.... you then say "oh that doesn't count because...."

Bit silly really.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc1874 wrote:
What is the problem with young, cheap players all of a sudden? I’d have thought they’re exactly who we should be targeting.

they are shit. usually.

10% of the time they turn out to be a gem, but most of the time they have neither the skills or the commitment to improve us... but, hey, fuck it... they are cheap.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Complete rubbish.

you seem to have a hangup about if it's not big money it's not worth doing, you also falsely claim this club won't spend money.

and when someone says but what about.... you then say "oh that doesn't count because...."

Bit silly really.

I would have preferred a few names instead of a sweeping statement...

Reebok Rebel, do you argue with everyone? What a tosser.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Bolton Hater wrote:Reebok Rebel, do you argue with everyone? What a tosser i am.

No not everyone.

I do agree with your second statement though.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Do we have a bad set of defenders or a set of defenders in need of a new leash of life?

Mills and Mears have both previously been highly regarded at this level. They can't have been near this shit before. Somewhere down the line, they've got into some bad habits that a good set of coaches would get them out of.
Ream showed last season that he is a potentially decent PL defender, we're forever seeing bits of potential in Alonso, Knight is solid on his day and Ricketts has the ingredients to be decent right across the back line.

Should we be spending millions on a defender?

Is nobody disappointed at the lack of at least honeymoon period improvement in these players?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok_Rebel wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Complete rubbish.

Bit silly really.

I don't have any names RR because i don't know who we're after.

You do realise we are in a "lower league" though. Many of the players we are now targeting, I assume, will be those capable of playing at this level... the championship.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Complete rubbish.

Bit silly really.

I don't have any names RR because i don't know who we're after.

You do realise we are in a "lower league" though. Many of the players we are now targeting, I assume, will be those capable of playing at this level... the championship.

But, as a club that (i would like to assume) has aspirations to get back to the prem, i would expect us to aim a little higher, because - a team of young, hungry championship standard players will get bummed in the big boys league.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We can't kidnap players. We get who we can afford, and who is willing to play in the championship, end of story.

We could go after, for example, Darren Bent, but he's not for sale, wages are too high and he doesn't want to play in the championship. And yet thats a name I've seen banded about on twitter.

we need to get real I'm afraid.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum