Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him?

+14
rammywhite
Sgt. Bash
Michael Bolton
Spirit of 58
BoltonTillIDie
Angry Dad
Mr Magoo
Reebok Trotter
Copper Dragon
bwfc71
Natasha Whittam
Bernard Dennis Park
aaron_bwfc
Hipster_Nebula
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

41Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:23 pm

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Natasha Whittam wrote:Gazza - what an arsehole. No sympathy. Alcoholism isn't a disease, anyone with willpower and half a brain can walk away from it.

I was once addicted to mini mars bars but I went cold turkey all by myself without the need of therapy.

Ha, brilliant, walking away from mini mars bars is the same as walking away from beer if you are a alcoholic, of course it is my dear. :good:

You have obviously never lived with one if you think it's that easy to give up on.

42Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:25 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:

Ha, brilliant, walking away from mini mars bars is the same as walking away from beer if you are a alcoholic, of course it is my dear. :good:

You have obviously never lived with one if you think it's that easy to give up on.

I didn't say it was easy, those mini mars bars tempted me to the end. But I have a brain, I have willpower so I gave up.

It's the same with alcohol...it never ceases to amaze me what folk call a disease these days. Alcoholism isn't a disease, it's insulting to people with real diseases to suggest it is.

43Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:35 pm

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I'd call it more of a mental illness than a disease.

44Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:39 pm

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's quite odd how the medical boards quantify diseases and illnesses. For instance, if you are an alcoholic you are not entitled to sickness or disability benefits nor are you entitled to claim discrimination by your employee if you are dismissed for being an alcoholic.

On the other hand, if you have cirrhosis of the liver as a result of alcohol abuse then you are entitled to sickness benefit.

45Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:39 pm

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I feel sorry for him... not everybody is perfect and are able to cope with whatever life throws at them.. he lost his way, self inflicted or not... he'll probably pay by losing his life... don't think he's that bad of a person, he should deserve that.

46Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:49 pm

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? - Page 3 15350830-522x293

Former England football star Paul Gascoigne has told how he thought he was about to die as doctors tied him to a bed to help him beat his alcohol addiction.

The player, who has fought a lengthy battle against alcoholism, said his body went into seizure during a detoxification treatment at an American clinic.

He said doctors said it was the "worst detox" they had ever seen.

"Three doctors didn't think I would make it. It has got to inspire me to never let this happen again.

"I've come through that - death. I was dead," Gascoigne told The Sun newspaper.

He added: "I thought I was on my way out. I looked like a corpse. I was a total wreck."

The 45-year-old said he was in a coma for three days and was admitted to intensive care.

Gascoigne has returned to Britain after more than a month at the rehabilitation clinic in Phoenix, Arizona.

His treatment was organised by former England cricketer Ronnie Irani and radio presenter Chris Evans, a long-term friend.

The move came following a charity appearance in Northampton during which the star appeared unwell and shaking, before breaking down and sobbing on stage in front of a room full of fans.

The world of football has shown its concern at the latest troubled period in the life of Gascoigne, one of England's most naturally gifted players ever.

Gascoigne was sectioned five years ago under the Mental Health Act.

http://news.sky.com/story/1062621/paul-gascoigne-returns-home-after-us-rehab

47Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:51 pm

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

He'll be back on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't see the year out.

48Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:54 pm

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Good luck to the lad

49Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:58 pm

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I think its tragic, and will wait until he is bck in the news, back on the sauce, and back in danger.

50Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:02 pm

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

No and NO

51Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:05 pm

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

No, not really- all of his problems are self inflicted. There are others with real problems through no fault of their own. They get the sympathy. Thousands of kids will have died today for want of bread in their bellies- or just clean water to drink.
They get the sympathy from me.

52Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:22 pm

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Nice to know some are able to prioritise their sympathy, and can ignore the 'lesser' ones. Personally, I take ever case on its own merits, and don't need need to ration my sympathy.

53Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:06 pm

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

gloswhite wrote:Nice to know some are able to prioritise their sympathy, and can ignore the 'lesser' ones. Personally, I take ever case on its own merits, and don't need need to ration my sympathy.
Yes it is possible to prioritise something like sympathy. I didn't feel a great deal for George Best after he drank himself to death-especially after the liver transplant that he got. That was a liver that would have kept somone else alive -but he poisoned that one as well.
I don't like to see anyone make such a mess of things as he did and as Gascoigne has done. But that's not the same as sympathy. he knows what he has to do to get over this- and he should face reality and get on with it.
Sounds harsh- I know that- but he has had loads of help and it's now up to him to leave the booze alone. Hundreds of thousands have managed it. And I know from personal experience in my family that it can be done.

54Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:29 pm

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

My experience of an alcoholic in the family is that he didn't make it, and died as a result. One thing I have learned is that not everyone is the same, and cannot be judged as such, if we have the right to judge in the first place.

55Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:49 pm

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

rammywhite wrote: I didn't feel a great deal for George Best after he drank himself to death-especially after the liver transplant that he got. That was a liver that would have kept somone else alive -but he poisoned that one as well.

George Best was fine with his new liver until he found out the identity of his donor and then he went back on the sauce. On hearing who the donor was, I can't say I blame him.

56Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:04 pm

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

why, who was his donor?

57Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? - Page 3 Empty Re: Gazza - Do you feel sorry for him? Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:05 pm

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Oliver Reed.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum