Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton

+6
Hipster_Nebula
Banks of the Croal
jayjay23
gloswhite
xmiles
Sluffy
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Empty That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Fri Feb 17 2012, 00:08

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Relive the 'Knightmare'!

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Er thanks I think. I had to watch it and it made me angry again. When even the commentators are feeling sorry for you it just goes to show that we were truly robbed. Knight even manages to exceed Riley, Clattenburg and Attwell in sheer obnoxiousness.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I don't know what knight is doing nowadays,or even if he is still alive, but how he managed to keep his referee status after that match i will never know.

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Knight currently owns a few companies.
Don't worry though, he didn't get sacked as a ref and in fact was actually be considered to ref again in the premiership about 4 years ago but he pulled out due to injury.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

cheers JJ. Refereeing again? A sobering thought, although in the current non-contact game many prefer, he might even have coped. i personally thought he was a bloody disgrace, but its all water under the bridge now.

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

He got them all right.

I had a ticket for that match but never got to go. I was so grateful of the highlights on granada. Elton Welsby eh?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

jayjay23 wrote:He got them all right.

Very Happy

Worst fishing trip ever!

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

My memory's playing up, can't remember two players.

Johnson and Ritchie ... ever playing for us.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Both came on loan.

Allan Johnston - from Sunderland (Peter Reid manager)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Paul Ritchie - from Hearts

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.])

I think we had deals to sign them both if we got promoted.

10That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Empty Re: That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Fri Feb 17 2012, 23:54

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Thanks Sluffy, still can't remember them, even though Johnson played 19 for us.

11That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Empty Re: That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Sat Feb 18 2012, 00:04

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Johnston played as a winger and Ritchie as a centre back if that is of any help.

Both were good players too imo.

12That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Empty Re: That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Sat Feb 18 2012, 00:07

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's a bit sad looking back, not particularly at this game, but the way the players played with pace and width, quick accurate passes and tempo. Full blooded too.

haven't seen it for years.

13That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Empty Re: That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Sat Feb 18 2012, 21:19

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Spot on Hipster.

And I had exactly the same problem wondering who the hell those two players were...

14That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Empty Re: That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Sat Feb 18 2012, 22:41

Remember Ritchie getting sent off on his debut at Wallsall, and Johnson came with a big reputation but he was bloody useless most of the time.

Still can't believe that Whitlow sending off, probably the worst refereeing performance ever, don't know the exact facts for the match but didn't we have 2 players sent off and another nine booked.

15That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Empty Re: That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Sat Feb 18 2012, 22:44

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Don't forget the three penalty's given against us too.

Not a single Ipswich player was booked!

A bit one sided or what?

16That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Empty Re: That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Sat Feb 18 2012, 22:50

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

And don't forget the three penalties he awarded Ipswich. It was the worst refereeing I have ever seen and it is difficult to believe that Knight was not biased against us for whatever reason.

17That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Empty Re: That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Sun Feb 19 2012, 17:29

Born to be a wanderer

Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Yes drove down in a clio 16V took hours even in a fast car.Back of beyond.Every time Jim Magilton dived they got a pen.I remember jussi saving one.We were 3-2 up n they equalised in the last minute 3-3.No away goal rule.Within minutes of the start of xtra time Barry Knight gave them their 3rd penalty n sent Whitlow off i think.4-3 Ipswich then he sent robbie elliott off.9 men then we got hit on the break 5-3.I was so incensed at the end of the match cos all the Ipswich bumpkins came tuanting us that i broke a few wooden seats up n started lobbing them at them(not proud of that or condone it) but the sense of injustice i saw Red.My mate and my girlfriend (now my wife were pulling me away).Remember taping it n BSA saying how Bolton might never get the oppurtunity to get in that position for years to come.Anyway we did and had the last luagh on Ipswich by sending them down with a 4-1 win and a fredi Bobic hat trick at the Reebok 2 years later.Youri Djorkaeff playing for us what a signing in the transfer window.Then JJ the summer time.Great days as we were on our ascendancy. Id hate to go back to the Championship.Gartside would probably sell Mark Davies.Although he is contracted till 2015.

18That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Empty Re: That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Sun Feb 19 2012, 19:00

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I have declined to watch that clip again, don't want to see that.

I thought Alan Johnson was a cracking winger, he had a few outstanding games for us in his short tenure.

Paul Warhurst is one of my all time favourite players Liked him when he was at Sheffield W, from that crazy spell he had when as a CB they played him up front for about 15 games and he scored a goal a game. Followed his career after that and was delighted when we signed him.

19That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Empty Re: That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Sun Feb 19 2012, 22:35

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Paul Warhurst. Now there was a player who would fight for the team, literally !

20That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Empty Re: That Match - Barry Knight v Bolton Sun Feb 19 2012, 22:51

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

gloswhite wrote:Paul Warhurst. Now there was a player who would fight for the team, literally !

You must be thinking of that great come back against Leicester in 2001 when Riley reduced us to 9 men before half an hour. We got an equaliser late in stoppage time to make it 2-2 after being 2-0 down, although of course Warhurst was the first of our dismissals. The other player dismissed was Holdsworth, both of them for fouls on the ever popular Robbie Savage.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum