Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do you think space goes on forever?

+7
Sluffy
scottjames30
Reebok_Rebel
Boggersbelief
Hipster_Nebula
Angry Dad
Michael Bolton
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Do you think space goes on forever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you think space goes on forever? Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:00 am

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Here is an excerpt from one of my favorite books - Sluffy and MB, I highly recommend reading it. It explains the world of physics, chemistry and Biology in a more 'accessible' manner. After that, if you want to know a bit more about how the universe works, read "A briefer history of time" by Stephen Hawking, its a more readable version of his more famous "Brief history of time"

Space is a complete Head-fuck...

NO MATTER HOW hard you try you will never be able to grasp just how tiny, how spatially
unassuming, is a proton. It is just way too small.
A proton is an infinitesimal part of an atom, which is itself of course an insubstantial thing.
Protons are so small that a little dib of ink like the dot on this i can hold something in the
region of 500,000,000,000 of them, rather more than the number of seconds contained in half
a million years. So protons are exceedingly microscopic, to say the very least.
Now imagine if you can (and of course you can’t) shrinking one of those protons down to a
billionth of its normal size into a space so small that it would make a proton look enormous.
Now pack into that tiny, tiny space about an ounce of matter. Excellent. You are ready to start
a universe.
I’m assuming of course that you wish to build an inflationary universe. If you’d prefer
instead to build a more old-fashioned, standard Big Bang universe, you’ll need additional
materials. In fact, you will need to gather up everything there is every last mote and particle of
matter between here and the edge of creation and squeeze it into a spot so infinitesimally
compact that it has no dimensions at all. It is known as a singularity.
In either case, get ready for a really big bang. Naturally, you will wish to retire to a safe
place to observe the spectacle. Unfortunately, there is nowhere to retire to because outside the
singularity there is no where. When the universe begins to expand, it won’t be spreading out
to fill a larger emptiness. The only space that exists is the space it creates as it goes.
It is natural but wrong to visualize the singularity as a kind of pregnant dot hanging in a
dark, boundless void. But there is no space, no darkness. The singularity has no “around”
around it. There is no space for it to occupy, no place for it to be. We can’t even ask how long
it has been there—whether it has just lately popped into being, like a good idea, or whether it
has been there forever, quietly awaiting the right moment. Time doesn’t exist. There is no past
for it to emerge from.
And so, from nothing, our universe begins.

Actually, here is a free PDF copy of the full book ... enjoy.

http://www.huzheng.org/bookstore/AShortHistoryofNearlyEverything.pdf

22Do you think space goes on forever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you think space goes on forever? Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:20 am

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

:geek2: 

23Do you think space goes on forever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you think space goes on forever? Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

One of the explanations on the Horizon programme was some professor speculating that space is actually expanding into something that exists already - to make it easier to understand he likened it to those types of cheese that have holes in them - in that as out universe is like the bubble and the cheese is what we are expanding into.

Maybe not the best explanation but I kind of got his point - hope others who read this do also.

I think personally that I would take a punt on there being other dimensions out there that we simply haven't discovered yet. I think the fact that even with our cutting edge science we still have no idea what the vast majority of the basic building blocks of how things work (dark matter, dark energy, graviton not fully understood) that some big things are still hidden from us and we have yet to find a means of searching for them outside our current understanding of how things work now.

RR thanks very much for the Hawkins extract and link to the book - I'm going to enjoy reading that.

24Do you think space goes on forever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you think space goes on forever? Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:27 pm

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:

RR thanks very much for the Hawkins extract and link to the book - I'm going to enjoy reading that.

Dont mention it. :good: 

Just read it when you have the time to spare a couple of hours - its unputdownable!

25Do you think space goes on forever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you think space goes on forever? Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:46 pm

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hawking has IMO a narrow definition of space and is really taking about the space-time continuum rather than "space" in the broader sense. It's a moot philosophical point that time is a condition of existence. Just because we relate time to mass the absence of mass and time do not necessarily mean that things can't "exist" outside the space-time continuum - it's just that they would have dimensions currently beyond our understanding.

26Do you think space goes on forever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you think space goes on forever? Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:53 pm

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

27Do you think space goes on forever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you think space goes on forever? Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:16 pm

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Jesus, that Antares star is enormous. How the hell was it ever formed?
You know the old question of 'If a tree falls in a forest but no one is about, does it make a noise?' - can you imagine the noises that come from Antares? It would be impossible to ever hear as it is so hot, but I bet there are some strange noises coming from that.

28Do you think space goes on forever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you think space goes on forever? Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:02 pm

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There is a lot of stuff out there that we know very little about. The space plankton that were fascinated by the tether are clearly some form of alien life form.

29Do you think space goes on forever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you think space goes on forever? Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:26 pm

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Yes wouldn't it be amazing to see a world somewhere out there with intelligent life. I wonder how they would look. I wonder if they are religious. 

It is a shame we will never know.

30Do you think space goes on forever? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you think space goes on forever? Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:45 pm

Tigermin

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

A topic too deep and enormous for us mere mortals to understand or comment on in a sensible manner. Our brains as vast and complex machines they are cant comprehend the enormity of what surrounds us !! Plus Allah wont allow such thoughts !!! he he ha ha

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum