Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dougie launches promotion bid

5 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dougie launches promotion bid  Empty Dougie launches promotion bid Mon Jul 29 2013, 23:19

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The former Crystal Palace boss knows what it takes to succeed in the Championship - and he's feeling positive about doing it again this season

Dougie Freedman is the guy who scrambled the loose change together to find a quid to buy a winning lottery ticket – then gave it away.
A year ago, Freedman was ­frantically putting a squad together at Crystal Palace, begging and borrowing for a group that would remarkably go on to win ­promotion.
But Freedman had seen enough of those madcap months to think he was better off achieving his Premier League dreams by going to Bolton Wanderers.

His beloved Palace went up – with a team still packed with his bargains – while Wanderers failed for the want of one goal in the final game. As Palace partied after the play-off final at Wembley, Freedman was on a family break and did not even watch the game. He had made his bed, he was happy to lie in it.

Now history is repeating and the Glaswegian has to build again with a budget and funds that are on the anorexic side of thin.

But Freedman has the oldest of heads on young shoulders and has no regrets. He said: “I know this division – unfortunately for too long.
“I know what it takes, how to use a squad, when to be strong. Our results have not been great in ­pre-season, but you don’t want to peak too soon.” Once again Freedman is having to be inventive in the market. The pot of gold he chased at Bolton seems to have been misplaced.

Free agents Alex Baptiste, Marc Tierney and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Only young Rob Hall will cost a fee and that will be a small tribunal compensation for West Ham. Freedman wanted more cash, but will have to rely on what he does best.
At Palace, Freedman brought through the likes of Manchester United signing Wilfried Zaha and Jon Williams. He may have to grow his own again.

Now wearing a suit rather than a tracksuit, Freedman means business. He said: “I’m always excited about working with young players.
“Rob Hall is just 19, he has a long way to go, he has got to be a bit more mature every day in training. It’s not a hobby, but a profession.

“I think he has got the talent, but he is only one year into senior ­football. He is a project, he will take time, but he is showing real signs.
“There’s a lad called Sanmi Odelusi who I really love working with. I won’t say what we pay him – it’s embarrassing – but his enthusiasm is great.”

It is a massive season for Bolton, who are stretched despite having the second and final large parachute payment due to them from the good old Premier League days.

Freedman, a bit of an ­entrepreneur off the park, knows the value of a pound and thinks some ­investment may make the difference. He needs it fast, with the opening game looming and the likes of Chung Yong Lee and David Ngog not fully fit, and Stuart Holden crocked again on ­international duty.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] any way he can, but knows he faces a battle to talk Craig Dawson into a return.
He had the unpleasant ­experience of bringing in Andre Moritz and Jeremy Bokila for talks only to be unable to find the money.
Freedman added: “I believe we have made a couple of decent signings – we have not thrown money away.
“But there is room to grow. I think there is room for improvement. We are trying our best to do that.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Dougie launches promotion bid  Empty Re: Dougie launches promotion bid Tue Jul 30 2013, 06:38

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think this article underlines the financial constraints Dougie is working under and the title is very misleading. Should be something like "Dougie cobbles a squad together on a shoestring budget"

Gutted that money is the barrier. With Dawson, Spearing and Bokila on board we'd be real challengers and have a superb spine to the team, but we haven't had a manager that can deliver success without losing money since the Todd/Rioch era and unfortunately Dougie has come in when the well has finally run dry.

Still despite the situation, Dougie seems to be doing as well as can be expected so I guess the players and youngsters will have to step up to the next level if we're going to turn our fortunes around.

3Dougie launches promotion bid  Empty Re: Dougie launches promotion bid Tue Jul 30 2013, 11:12

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dawson wasn't going to come obviously, spearing would obviously do a job and Bolika is just a player we've all seen on YouTube once.

I think it's reaching to say that would be the difference between 7th 8th and 1st.

4Dougie launches promotion bid  Empty Re: Dougie launches promotion bid Tue Jul 30 2013, 13:04

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Dawson wasn't going to come obviously, spearing would obviously do a job and Bolika is just a player we've all seen on YouTube once.

I think it's reaching to say that would be the difference between 7th 8th and 1st.
Totally agree. That's why I didn't say it.
But I do think that the signing of those 3 players in key positions would have made us challengers on the basis that the manager, whom I have faith in given his performance so far, wanted them and thought they could make a difference - as clearly alluded to in the article.
The only thing that is obvious about it is that if we had enough money to throw at it we could "obviously" have signed all three. Clearly we don't have the requisite dosh.

5Dougie launches promotion bid  Empty Re: Dougie launches promotion bid Tue Jul 30 2013, 13:07

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dawson was the key - good player who brought confidence to the back 4.

Doogie should have spent the first part of the Summer making the signing happen, but once it was clear Dawson wasn't coming he should have given himself time to find another centre-half. Beckford is a good signing, but replacing Dawson was the most important deal of the Summer.

Doogie failed.

6Dougie launches promotion bid  Empty Re: Dougie launches promotion bid Tue Jul 30 2013, 13:33

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He said he wouldn't be pursuing Dawson last season, before the loan even ended IIRC.

to say he failed to sign him is just complete nonsense.

7Dougie launches promotion bid  Empty Re: Dougie launches promotion bid Tue Jul 30 2013, 13:37

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:He said he wouldn't be pursuing Dawson last season, before the loan even ended IIRC.

Bullshit. You'd have to be a bit of a dick not to pursue your best player no matter how slim the chances of him signing.

8Dougie launches promotion bid  Empty Re: Dougie launches promotion bid Tue Jul 30 2013, 13:40

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I still think we should have kept ricketts for the right back and cover for left back spot, then sign Baptiste for a centre back partnership with Wheater.

9Dougie launches promotion bid  Empty Re: Dougie launches promotion bid Tue Jul 30 2013, 13:46

We clearly don't have the £5 million it would cost to get Dawson, not to mention the fact he's said he wants to stay at Albion for now. 

The windows got a long way to go, Dougie's said he wants more signings which surely involves bringing in a new CB and getting rid of one too. When I look at the business sides around us have done I think we've done well, Leicester have signed one player from Tranmere on a free, Forest have signed a couple of okay players - Patterson from Walsall, Mackie from QPR but then shit like Reyes from WBA, Brighton haven't strengthened really and have lost Poyet. Our situation could be worse and should only get better, Holden's injury should mean the board are more willing to invest in a new midfielder too.

10Dougie launches promotion bid  Empty Re: Dougie launches promotion bid Tue Jul 30 2013, 13:54

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Dawson was the key - good player who brought confidence to the back 4. CORRECT

Doogie should have spent the first part of the Summer making the signing happen, MAYBE HE DID
but once it was clear Dawson wasn't coming he should have given himself time to find another centre-half. IF HE WAS TOLD THERE WAS NO MONEY FOR DAWSON WOULDN'T IT HAVE BEEN A REASONABLE ASSUMPTION THAT THERE WAS NO MONEY FOR A N OTHER CENTRE HALF?
Beckford is a good signing, but replacing Dawson was the most important deal of the Summer. I WOULD HAPPILY HAVE DONE WITHOUT BECKFORD IF IT ENABLED US TO GET A QUALITY CENTRE HALF

Doogie failed. THAT DOESN'T FOLLOW AT ALL

11Dougie launches promotion bid  Empty Re: Dougie launches promotion bid Tue Jul 30 2013, 14:08

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:He said he wouldn't be pursuing Dawson last season, before the loan even ended IIRC.

Bullshit. You'd have to be a bit of a dick not to pursue your best player no matter how slim the chances of him signing.

He was able to get Hall. But you have to be realistic. We can't afford, and Dawson obviously wouldn't want to come here now he's knocking on the door at West Brom.

You'd have to be a bit of a dick to think otherwise.

12Dougie launches promotion bid  Empty Re: Dougie launches promotion bid Tue Jul 30 2013, 14:12

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:We clearly don't have the £5 million it would cost to get Dawson, not to mention the fact he's said he wants to stay at Albion for now. 

The windows got a long way to go, Dougie's said he wants more signings which surely involves bringing in a new CB and getting rid of one too. When I look at the business sides around us have done I think we've done well, Leicester have signed one player from Tranmere on a free, Forest have signed a couple of okay players - Patterson from Walsall, Mackie from QPR but then shit like Reyes from WBA, Brighton haven't strengthened really and have lost Poyet. Our situation could be worse and should only get better, Holden's injury should mean the board are more willing to invest in a new midfielder too.

Perhaps the only thing that could have been improved in terms of the managers' transfer window performance - and I'm being picky here - is that he could have been more prepared to take a loss in getting rid of some of the dead wood. I appreciate there's a fundamental problem with this i.e. nobody wants the likes of Mills, Mears and Andrews anyway, and they don't want to leave us as they're on decent wages which they won't get elsewhere.
What I'm suggesting is that we could have paid them to piss off.
So if Andrews is on £20k a week and Blackpool want him but would only pay £12K a week, we could pay the £8k balance and have £12k to get a better player in with.
Alright it doesn't happen as easily as that as we'd have to find buyers willing to deal and better players on lower wages, but there are lots of possible permutations and I'd have liked to have seen something happen along these lines just to evidence that the club is busting a gut to explore every avenue.

BTW I think that QPR, Wigan and Reading will be the teams to beat and the "sides around us" haven't lost key players as we have, so I think Dougie's top 6 ambition is a tall order unless we get more action in the window. Agree with '74.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum