Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ngog to Saint-Etienne story

+2
Natasha Whittam
Sluffy
6 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Empty Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Thu Aug 01 2013, 13:22

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

From Talksport so probably all made up but here it is anyway -

The Ligue 1 side are on the hunt for a new forward and have lined up Ngog, who has netted 11 league goals in two seasons since leaving Anfield for the Reebok Stadium in 2011.

The 24-year-old was tipped for big things when he arrived on Merseyside from Paris St-Germain in the summer of 2008 but he did not fulfil his potential at Liverpool.

He has failed to set the world alight at Bolton, although that has not deterred interest from his homeland, with Bordeaux also monitoring his situation.

Ngog has less than 12 months left on his current deal and could be snapped up for a cut-price fee this summer.

Read more at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Empty Re: Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Thu Aug 01 2013, 13:30

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:The Ligue 1 side are on the hunt for a new forward and have lined up Ngog, who has netted 11 league goals in two seasons

With a scoring rate like that you can see why they want him.

3Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Empty Re: Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Thu Aug 01 2013, 14:20

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

<12mths left on his deal?

Better get him on a new contract soon then.

4Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Empty Re: Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Thu Aug 01 2013, 14:42

He'll end up having a half decent season for us, convincing a French team to offer him a contract and we lose him on a free at the end of next season.

5Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Empty Re: Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Thu Aug 01 2013, 14:51

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:He'll end up having a half decent season for us, convincing a French team to offer him a contract and we lose him on a free at the end of next season.

Dougie said something about Ngog working on the finishing side to his game. We know he can do it as he scored a couple last time he was asked to be the front man so it wouldn't be a surprise if Ngog suddenly starts finding the net.
If he was a bit more greedy and willing to shoot on sight, he could easily be a 20 goal a season striker - but it would be just our luck if he came good and was shortly out of contract.
I'd like to see him have a go more - he could only be better than Eagles who was last season's divisional champion for off-target shots.

6Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Empty Re: Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Thu Aug 01 2013, 14:57

Jamster26

Jamster26
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I don't think he's ever going to be a 20 goal a season man, but as we saw last season, his link up play was excellent and creating chances for other players. I think that's where he will be of most benefit to us next season.

7Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Empty Re: Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Thu Aug 01 2013, 15:15

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Jamster26 wrote:I don't think he's ever going to be a 20 goal a season man, but as we saw last season, his link up play was excellent and creating chances for other players. I think that's where he will be of most benefit to us next season.

Sorry Jamster, this creating chances thing is a myth - he had one goal assist last season...three less than Kevin Davies.

8Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Empty Re: Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Thu Aug 01 2013, 15:33

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Sorry Jamster, this creating chances thing is a myth - he had one goal assist last season...three less than Kevin Davies.

It was two the last time this argument came up. I asked you where you got the figure from and you couldn't give an answer. Obviously, because it was pulled out of your arse like everything else you write.

It's now gone down to one. Ha ha. Brilliant. You utter nincompoop.

9Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Empty Re: Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Thu Aug 01 2013, 15:45

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:

It was two the last time this argument came up. I asked you where you got the figure from and you couldn't give an answer. Obviously, because it was pulled out of your arse like everything else you write.

It's now gone down to one. Ha ha. Brilliant. You utter nincompoop.

The official number is 2 goal assists, but I'm not giving him one as it wasn't intentional.

But either way, he had less assists than goals. And he didn't score many goals.

Utterly ridiculous that anyone would want him in the team on Saturday.

10Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Empty Re: Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Thu Aug 01 2013, 16:41

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
The official number is 2 goal assists, but I'm not giving him one as it wasn't intentional.

The official number is five (see link).

The assists arguments are silly and you've touched on a key reason for this yourself.

Firstly, it doesn't necessarily take technique and ingenuity to assist a goalscorer. It can be the most straightforward of passes, or even as you say, an accident. It made me laugh last year when Kevin Davies missed a chance against Forest - it hit the post, rebounded 12 yards out to Chris Eagles who scored and KD got credit for being the creator.

Secondly and it's this point that you and many others miss, the assist stat credits only the last player to have touched the ball before the goalscorer. If you think supplying final passes is the only part of being a creative player, you're wrong. Some players aren't often involved at the very end of attacking moves, but are much a key part of them nonetheless.

Ngog has been fantastic at dropping deep, picking up possession, often on his chest, outmuscling defenders and picking out useful passes for other attacking players. It hasn't often resulted directly in a goal, but has been a crucial part of our attacking demeanour nevertheless.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

11Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Empty Re: Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Thu Aug 01 2013, 16:59

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:

Ngog has been fantastic at dropping deep, picking up possession, often on his chest, outmuscling defenders and picking out useful passes for other attacking players.

Very Happy 

WUM.

12Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Empty Re: Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Thu Aug 01 2013, 17:16

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:

Ngog has been fantastic at dropping deep, picking up possession, often on his chest, outmuscling defenders and picking out useful passes for other attacking players.

You tell her Doff!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

13Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Empty Re: Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Thu Aug 01 2013, 20:16

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

doffcocker wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

The official number is five (see link).

The assists arguments are silly and you've touched on a key reason for this yourself.

Firstly, it doesn't necessarily take technique and ingenuity to assist a goalscorer. It can be the most straightforward of passes, or even as you say, an accident. It made me laugh last year when Kevin Davies missed a chance against Forest - it hit the post, rebounded 12 yards out to Chris Eagles who scored and KD got credit for being the creator.

Secondly and it's this point that you and many others miss, the assist stat credits only the last player to have touched the ball before the goalscorer. If you think supplying final passes is the only part of being a creative player, you're wrong. Some players aren't often involved at the very end of attacking moves, but are much a key part of them nonetheless.

Ngog has been fantastic at dropping deep, picking up possession, often on his chest, outmuscling defenders and picking out useful passes for other attacking players. It hasn't often resulted directly in a goal, but has been a crucial part of our attacking demeanour nevertheless.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The late great Brian Clough once said a striker doesn't necessarily have to score a shed full of goals if he makes them for other people. The person who he was particularly referring to was John O'Hare. But then again what did he know?

14Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Empty Re: Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Thu Aug 01 2013, 21:10

But Ngog doesn't do either with any regularity.

15Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Empty Re: Ngog to Saint-Etienne story Thu Aug 01 2013, 22:15

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

OneFinFreedman wrote:But Ngog doesn't do either with any regularity.

I wasn't suggesting he did. It's been disputed on here that strikers must score goals, SKD et al, I was using the words of a top rate manager to plunder those comments! Hope this clarifies?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum