Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best Chippy etc, past or present?

+14
boltonbonce
whatsgoingon
Sluffy
Soul Kitchen
Culcheth_White
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
LW23
bwfc71
doffcocker
waynagain
Boggersbelief
aaron_bwfc
Banks of the Croal
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Sun Jun 19 2016, 13:57

Used to be a cafe next to the motorbike shop in Walkden that did a great breakfast. Used to go every Sunday morning. Drove past today and it has changed and wasn't  open anymore. Very disappointed.

22Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Sun Jun 19 2016, 14:12

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I rarely have chips but No. 1 Cromer is my favourite these days (that and Baxter's at Sutton Bridge in Lincolnshire)
No. 1 has a chippy, a sit-in dining area overlooking the pier and a fish and chips-based posh restaurant above (imaginatively called "Upstairs at No.1" - the marketing team must have been up all night thinking that one up)
The whole thing is run by a Michelin-starred restaurateur so it's a bit poncey (e.g. kids meals are served in a bucket and spade that they get to keep) but the bottom line is that the chips are good and they've not lost sight of their core business - good enough to compete with the traditionally popular Mary Jane's just 50 yds away.

Gotterson's in Aylsham has the best fried chicken I've ever had and I'm a big fan of fried chicken. Puts the Colonel to shame.

23Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Sun Jun 19 2016, 16:37

wanderlust wrote:

Gotterson's in Aylsham has the best fried chicken I've ever had and I'm a big fan of fried chicken. Puts the Colonel to shame.

I'm sure Martin (if he's still alive) will back me up on this now.

Fried chicken in the Dominican Republic is universally exceptional.

It makes Kentucky look and taste like dog poo.

Seriously - it's one of my all time Top Five Best Meals ever eaten in a restaurant.

(If you can call a shack at the side of the road, surrounded by stray dogs a restaurant.)

24Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Sun Jun 19 2016, 16:43

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

All fish and chip shops around here are shit.

All of them haven't a clue how to cook chips as they all look anemic and I prefer them with some more colour on them, plus they still taste like they haven't been cooked long enough and they really are flavourless.

The fish they sell also has no flavour and the batter is that greasy, by the time you get it home and unwrap it, the batter has stuck to the paper and has come away from the fish.

I would rather stick some over chips in and have a frozen battered Young's cod/haddock or similar cooked in the oven which is an improvement.

The only flavoursome fish and chips I have come across in a long time and I have said this on here before has to be Arnside fish and chip shop and RT will back me up on that.

25Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Sun Jun 19 2016, 16:45

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

I'm sure Martin (if he's still alive) will back me up on this now.

Fried chicken in the Dominican Republic is universally exceptional.

It makes Kentucky look and taste like dog poo.

Seriously - it's one of my all time Top Five Best Meals ever eaten in a restaurant.

(If you can call a shack at the side of the road, surrounded by stray dogs a restaurant.)
Are you sure they were strays?
Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Tumblr_mt2fhc9x9W1rl35vno1_500

26Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Sun Jun 19 2016, 16:54

Thinking about it, there were definitely less of them knocking about when we went back the second week......

27Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Sun Jun 19 2016, 20:15

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

The best chippy, (Simpsons),in the country is here in Cheltenham.(They've been second for 2 or 3 years, but won it this year).

Also, Prithvi, here in Cheltenham, has been voted as the best Indian restaurant in the country.

Both are excellent, as my figure can attest Very Happy

28Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Sun Jun 19 2016, 21:02

Guest wrote:Oh. Best do a shout out to my mrs best mates bakery really too. Armstrongs in morris green. Dinky pies Surprised)
No way, my mrs best mates bakery is armstrongs in morris green.  Small world eh!

29Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Mon Jun 20 2016, 09:16

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

y2johnny wrote:
Guest wrote:Oh. Best do a shout out to my mrs best mates bakery really too. Armstrongs in morris green. Dinky pies Surprised)
No way, my mrs best mates bakery is armstrongs in morris green.  Small world eh!
I really hate to be the one to break this to you Johnny, but I think this guest is shagging your mrs.

30Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Mon Jun 20 2016, 09:54

Bwfc1958 wrote:
y2johnny wrote:
I really hate to be the one to break this to you Johnny, but I think this guest is shagging your mrs.
He definitely isnt Sad

31Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Mon Jun 20 2016, 10:43

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

y2johnny wrote:
Bwfc1958 wrote:
y2johnny wrote:
He definitely isnt Sad
Very Happy

32Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Tue Jun 21 2016, 18:31

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Whitesides on Halliwell Road is still one of the best

Followed by Bennetts Lane Chippy, Paul's chippy on Bury Road and Su's chippy (still) on Belmont Road

33Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Tue Jun 21 2016, 19:19

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You have said this in the past Chris about SU's, what is it that you really love? The best thing I have had from them is the free prawn crackers that they don't even make. Shocked 

I find their chips are just as tasteless as Chows!

34Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Tue Jun 21 2016, 19:59

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

karlypants wrote:You have said this in the past Chris about SU's, what is it that you really love? The best thing I have had from them is the free prawn crackers that they don't even make. Shocked 

I find their chips are just as tasteless as Chows!
It's all subjective. What one person thinks is amazing, another person will think it's shit. The chippy near me is shit as I've said on many occasions, but some people round here love it. The thing is, if you tip your chips onto a plate and they stay in the same shape as the tray they came in, something isn't right. A block of barely cooked chips just isn't for me I'm afraid.

35Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Tue Jun 21 2016, 20:01

Just so we're clear now, which one do you mean:

Phil's, Old Lane or that Chinese dump on Coniston?

36Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Tue Jun 21 2016, 20:30

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

The Chinese dump is by far the worst, which says how unbelievably bad that place actually is. Old Lane comes in at second shittest closely followed by Phil's in third. That new stumble in chippy isn't great either, it's overpriced, undercooked and you get smaller portions, which in this case isn't a bad thing. Little Hulton is not the place to go for chips.

37Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Tue Jun 21 2016, 20:35

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:The Chinese dump is by far the worst, which says how unbelievably bad that place actually is. Old Lane comes in at second shittest closely followed by Phil's in third. That new stumble in chippy isn't great either, it's overpriced, undercooked and you get smaller portions, which in this case isn't a bad thing. Little Hulton is not the place to go for chips.
Used to be a cracking chippy at the botton of Cleggs Lane,run by a cockney bloke. We used to go in for free scratchings until he decided to start charging for them.
We also used to go in to watch his electric potato chipper at work. Easily pleased in those days.

38Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Tue Jun 21 2016, 20:38

You really are an angry young man when it comes to the state of your local chippies, aren't you, 58?

:rofl:

I reserve my ire for Steve's near us: Over-priced, meagre portions, poor quality and more cliquey than your average Surrey golf club.

But it's always packed......

I don't get it.

39Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Tue Jun 21 2016, 22:36

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958

Breadman wrote:You really are an angry young man when it comes to the state of your local chippies, aren't you, 58?
It's just chips though. How hard can it be? All you need to do is stick them in a deep fryer until they're ready, it's not fucking rocket science, yet all the places that claim it's their speciality can't make a decent chip to save their life. It pisses me off quite honestly.

40Best Chippy etc, past or present? - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Chippy etc, past or present? Tue Jun 21 2016, 23:08

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bwfc1958 wrote:
Breadman wrote:You really are an angry young man when it comes to the state of your local chippies, aren't you, 58?
It's just chips though. How hard can it be? All you need to do is stick them in a deep fryer until they're ready, it's not fucking rocket science, yet all the places that claim it's their speciality can't make a decent chip to save their life. It pisses me off quite honestly.
This is exactly my problem 58 and along with the soggy battered fish!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum