Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What sort of manager should Bolton go for?

+17
Angry Dad
observer
Soul Kitchen
karlypants
Hipster_Nebula
Culcheth_White
Copper Dragon
NickFazer
doffcocker
Barryjw
aaron_bwfc
Natasha Whittam
scottjames30
kennster
Boggersbelief
terenceanne
Michael Bolton
21 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I have a lot of sympathy with Gartside over the appointments of Coyle and Freedman. Both were about the best young managers out there when we got them. I honestly thought both were superb appointments but both look to be duds.

So what sort of manager should Bolton go for if Freedman was to get the chop? Do they go after another highly rated young manager who hasn't many year's experience and you don't really know what you are getting or should Gartside go for a more experienced manager who clearly is nothing flash for him to come to Bolton? I personally feel that young promising managers are the way to go, Big Sam was the real deal and a relatively new young manager when we snapped him up.

What do you think?

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

For years I've said a foreign manager.... somebody that has never even heard of BWFC.....a guy who values skill..... contacts abroad etc.  It's an old wife's tale that Scots make good managers....no more of them IMO.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Too soon to be looking for a new manager. If he was to be sacked then my top choices would be di Matteo & poyet.

kennster

kennster
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Russell Slade

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Big Mick or Billy Davies, but it'll be another one season wonder we get.

Back Dougie is the best course of action IMO. He has the makings of a top class manager, changing manager again would be a dreadful move, there's clearly more to our issues than bad management.

If we were to change I really don't know who we'd appoint, nobody guarantees success. So long as he has the dressing room (which at this point I think he does) we need to stick with him.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Poyet turned a shit club (Brighton) into a very good Championship team without spending billions. He was a very good player himself and probably has a host of contacts in the world of football.

However, we're bottom of the Championship so managers like Poyet are out of our reach.

Phil Parkinson has done a great job at Bradford and would see Bolton as a major step up. Steve Evans isn't popular but did well at Crawley and now Rotherham. Ditto Karl Robinson at MK Dons.

I'd take any of those over Freedman.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Back Dougie is the best course of action IMO. He has the makings of a top class manager, changing manager again would be a dreadful move, there's clearly more to our issues than bad management.

If we were to change I really don't know who we'd appoint, nobody guarantees success. So long as he has the dressing room (which at this point I think he does) we need to stick with him.
Agreed, I think we are the only ones that think Dougie will sort the mess out.

Nat thinks we are mad.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:He has the makings of a top class manager
I'm sorry but that is just rubbish.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

We need an experienced head now IMO, someone who knows this league and has history of doing well.

Having said that some fans were in favor of JP and Sammy Lee when they were in charge before Dougie so maybe give them another shot?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:We need an experienced head now IMO, someone who knows this league and has history of doing well.

Having said that some fans were in favor of JP and Sammy Lee when they were in charge before Dougie so maybe give them another shot?
So you want an experienced head or someone with 4 games experience.

Makes sense.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Freedman is worse than Coyle, Megson , and Lee.

Get him out before its too late.

kennster

kennster
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

aaron_bwfc wrote:We need an experienced head now IMO, someone who knows this league and has history of doing well.

Or Russell Slade.

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Still in August! Think it's a bit early to start panicking. Rapid change in managers didn't do Wolves any good.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Barryjw wrote:Still in August! Think it's a bit early to start panicking. Rapid change in managers didn't do Wolves any good.
They're second in the league. They have hope.

Barryjw

Barryjw
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Wolves 2nd in the league after 2 relegations and 5 managers in 15 months I believe

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Freedman's credentials were meager when he was appointed. I'm not saying he did a bad job at Palace, but it wasn't the work of an invariably talented manager.
The reasoning behind it was understandable though, baring in mind the alternatives at the time.

Tactically, I think he's poor. He has sophisticated ideas which in practice just don't work. But we were patient with him last season, he eventually found a decent team, and it nearly paid off brilliantly. I also think people are premature in slagging off his signings.

Sacking him makes sense on no level.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:

Sacking him makes sense on no level.
We're bottom of the league with 2 points from 15.

Of course it makes sense on some level.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

If Dougie is to be sacked, at the moment I don't think that he should be, then Eddie needs to remove Gartside first, if Dougie can't cut it then the last thing we should be doing is letting Gartside have another go at choosing the next manager. Freedman was Gartsides last chance IMO.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hands off the Ginger Mourinho.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum