Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Your Team and System using current crop of players

+15
Soul Kitchen
Whitesince63
carrs
observer
Tigermin
wessy
doffcocker
aaron_bwfc
Copper Dragon
Norpig
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
Sluffy
Boggersbelief
Hipster_Nebula
19 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

inspired by wanderlust's post, if you could take over from dougie, what system and players would make the cut.

would you recall players from loan?

For me i think i would recall both Cavies and Sordell.

And as we have an awful lot to lose and because our defence is so terrible, i would adopt the analogy of attacj is the best form of defence.

Bogdan
Mears
Mills/Wheater
Ream
Baptiste
Holden (should be fit by now)
Mavies
Danns
Juke
Cavies
Sordell

Play 4-3-3 get the defenders every chance they get to hoof the ball up field and try to gether us to play football in there half.

The more "strikers" (obviously used very loosely) we have on the field and creative attack minded midfielders the better chance we have of retaining the ball and scoring.

We should just go all out in my opinion.

I know there is still a lot to play for and we aren't in a relegation spot yet but the current position and team.style isn't exactly going to help matters.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

y2johnny wrote:Bogdan
Mears
Mills/Wheater
Ream
Baptiste
Holden (should be fit by now)
Mavies
Danns
Juke
Cavies
Sordell

You can't be serious he has a torn ACL. 

and as for "attack being the best form of defence" that was the Coyle method which got us relegated. 

I think if Dougie started Danns instead of Trotter last night he'd have had a team I'd be keen on. 

everything unravlled when he brought on Mark Davies, commentators said after about 10 minutes the old chestnut "we're being overrun in midfield here." 

needs to strike that balance which he's not been able to do sadly.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bogdan
White - Baptiste - Ream - Tierney
                 Medo
CYL                                Hall                

M.Davies

Juke             Beckford

Subs: Lonergan, wheater, Bolger, odelusi, Moritz, Trotter, Clough/wilkinson

433 needs two pacy wingers who can drop in a bit too, you've selected two target men and Sordell who barely moved in his games for us. Sorry but that's a dreadful line up. Much prefer Boggers's.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Not easy to pick with such an unbalanced squad - and money being tight.

I would want a solid left defender - Baptise and Ream have shown they can't do the job well - I would have to take a punt on whatever I could get at short notice in the loan market, if I was allowed too.

Ream seems to me to be the only player out of all we have got who can pass a ball in midfield (it's not even his normal position in the team!) so I will try him there.

I'm not convinced with any of our centre backs (including Ream in that position) so should I take a punt on Baptiste playing there - even though he's not played there all season - nor ever with these players?

If I play Baptiste as CB, who do I bring in as right back?

Could I get Mears to do a job for me?  Seems he's out of favour with Freedman and the fans are on his back so it's not an easy choice.  The young lad White seem to do well in the game he played but is it better to go with experience - and someone who has been good in the past or gamble that the youngster as the right stuff?

Up front, we can't bring Sordell back apparently - something to do with the terms of the loan - I wouldn't want to anyway - he's not shown much at Charlton and seems to be a high maintenance character anyway.

Craig Davies seems to have had a fall out with Freedman - hence his exile - but if I'm boss now and Dougie as gone, I'd bring him back if the club budget allowed it.

Ok my team -

Lonergan - Bogdan is probably the best keeper but he is not as consistent as Lonergan - and I can tell you as a career as a defender, there is nothing worse than not having full confidence in your keeper.  Better an average one, than one who pulls off a world class save one minute and gifts the ball to their centre forward the next.

An effective defence plays as a unit and an iffy keeper prevents that from happening.

Mears (I'll back my man management skills) and loan full back punt - God how shit is the team when you have to name a player to play who you haven't even identified and signed yet!

Centre backs - Baptiste and Mills.  Big risk playing Baptiste as centreback but there really isn't many other choices I like.  I understand that is where he played, and played well, at Blackpool.  Not much to chose between Mills and Wheater - gone for Mills as he is currently in the team and is suposed to be a leader - he was captain at Reading I believe.  Hopefully Baptiste has the brain and Mills the brawn to make the CB posirion solid for the first time in years?

At home I'd play two up front - Juke and Beckford if fit / Davies if not.

So midfield.

Ream - link between the back and the midfield, attack.
Lee - attacking outlet on the right.
Danns - need his energy and commitment from box to box.
Spearing - hopefully with Rean and others who hopefully will want the ball, will get back to something like how we know he can play.

Away games I'd just play with Juke up front to start with and probably take a chance on Trotter's form getting better to strengthen the midfield.

I'd like to think I'd tweek the team depending on the opposition but I think I'd start with the team above until things go wrong!

Sluffy - now awaiting Mr Gartsides telephone call!

Last edited by Sluffy on Wed Feb 12 2014, 12:09; edited 2 times in total

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'd keep it simple and old fashioned with a 4-4-2 formation.

Lonergan

White - Baptiste - Mills - Tierney

Eagles - Ream - M Davies - Lee

Beckford - C Davies

Not saying for a minute we'd win the league as it is the same shite players, but we wouldn't be in a relegation battle.

We don't need Spearing or Medo if we play Ream as the holding player - and Ream has the ability to pass quickly and long so he's actually an attacking holding player in a sense.

I'd quickly be looking for some defenders though.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nat that midfield would get abused, plain and simple.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Nat that midfield would get abused, plain and simple.

I said we wouldn't win the league, but I think if we went out to actually attack teams we'd win as many as we lost. Ream is a better holding player than Spearing or Medo, he just doesn't look as thuggish.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:Nat that midfield would get abused, plain and simple.

I said we wouldn't win the league, but I think if we went out to actually attack teams we'd win as many as we lost. Ream is a better holding player than Spearing or Medo, he just doesn't look as thuggish.

I think we'd lose a lot of games by big scores with that midfield. 

They have absolutely no discipline whoever we play as you can see illustrated during Burnley's goal yesterday. 

pulled and stretched all over the place CM's on the wings and in the box and absolutely no cover. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I think we'd lose a lot of games by big scores with that midfield. 

They have absolutely no discipline whoever we play as you can see illustrated during Burnley's goal yesterday. 

pulled and stretched all over the place CM's on the wings and in the box and absolutely no cover. 

Yes, but I thought we were imagining ourselves in charge - do you think there would be a lack of discipline if I was manager?

That's an Owen Coyle line up Nat you'd get us destroyed.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My team is best, mixture of youth and experience. I've chosen the players that you will get 100% from.

I should be manager

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:That's an Owen Coyle line up Nat you'd get us destroyed.

Get me the managers job and I'll prove you wrong.

Boggersbelief wrote:My team is best, mixture of youth and experience. I've chosen the players that you will get 100% from.

I should be manager

Agreed.

You've got my vote.

Have you got a shiny suit?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So finally a thread that gets to the heart of our problems i.e. what can actually be done with this squad? - regardless of who the manager is.
I thought one of the key problems was nicely summed up last night when Mavies and Moritz came on for Medo and Trotter - we handed over the midfield that we had largely dominated to go in search of a goal.
Personally, I think the players are so bad, not much can be done.
There have been calls for different tactics, for better player motivation, and to some extent different selections - all issues rightly laid at the managers door.
And I agree that all these things could have some impact, but apart from the immediate spectre of relegation (not an option) none of these things will address the longer term underlying issues that threaten our club - financial stagnation and a poor squad that we are stuck with.

In the short term we could shuffle the strikers and/or line up with more strikers in order to get the goals we need but in all likelihood it will simply mean we concede more.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Johnny - nice to see you back, you've not been on here in months! As for the team we need to get Ream back to centre half, Mills on the other hand is rubbish and needs binning as soon as possible, his distribution is awful.

I more or less agree with Boggers team but i think Danns deserves to be in there somewhere, maybe instead of Hall?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So has Bogdan been forgiven then?
For months he was slated as not fit to wear the shirt, but now he's OK all of a sudden.
Except in Nat's books - fair play for being consistent.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Longergan was excused one mistake but when he made a second the rumblings started and bogdan was "never dat bad neway"

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I've gone for an old school formation with inside forwards and wingers to give you the best chance of reaching the play offs this season.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I actually like that line up but we would get destroyed now the flanks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum