Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Your Team and System using current crop of players

+15
Soul Kitchen
Whitesince63
carrs
observer
Tigermin
wessy
doffcocker
aaron_bwfc
Copper Dragon
Norpig
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
Sluffy
Boggersbelief
Hipster_Nebula
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

aaron_bwfc wrote:I actually like that line up but we would get destroyed now the flanks.

Don't worry about that, I have a cunning plan.

The pitch at the Reebok is narrowed to 50 yards, which is the smallest that is allowed.

Lots of kick and rush football mind.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Copper Dragon wrote:
aaron_bwfc wrote:I actually like that line up but we would get destroyed now the flanks.

Don't worry about that, I have a cunning plan.

The pitch at the Reebok is narrowed to 50 yards, which is the smallest that is allowed.

Lots of kick and rush football mind.

no change there then!

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
and as for "attack being the best form of defence" that was the Coyle method which got us relegated. 

Coyle got us relegated through a general lack of tactical understanding, not plainly because he was attack minded. He persisted with players that weren't good enough, there was the constant hoofball that was clearly ineffective, and he didn't understand the balance of players that any given system required.

It's just not as simple as "this manager was attack minded", "this manager was negative", incidentally the negative manager was more successful so that means negativity is the best policy.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Thats basically what I'm saying, some seem to suggest if we just go 4-4-2 we'll win every week. 

what we need to do is find a formation and a set of tactics that puts this set of players in the best position to succeed.

all out attack and all out defend clearly don't work.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Thats basically what I'm saying, some seem to suggest if we just go 4-4-2 we'll win every week. 

what we need to do is find a formation and a set of tactics that puts this set of players in the best position to succeed.

All out and a new lot in might work.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Thats basically what I'm saying, some seem to suggest if we just go 4-4-2 we'll win every week. 

Nobody's saying we'd win every week with 4-4-2. I'm certainly not.

We might end up completely overrun in certain areas but that's happening with Dougie's system anyway. Even when we manage to frustrate the opposition, we usually end up losing.

Agreed, its too simplistic to think if we play 2 up front we'll take the pressure of the defence and keep the ball up their end. There's a fundamental problem with how we keep the ball and press other teams which is making the system we play redundant.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

You can mess about with formation and players all you like but unless the spirit in the camp is a positive one, then nothing will work. To have success the players, management, fans etc all have to have belief and pull in the same direction.

At this point the fans have lost faith in the manager, the manager has lost faith with a section of his team publicly saying they lack character.
The players seem to have stopped playing for this manager the result catastrophic run of form.

The solution (laughably) on here is to select a team from players who don't play for us (left back) select a player at this crucial stage who has never played at centre half (Baptise), bring a player in at right back who is so far out in the cold that he saw Captain Scott's husky, Mears (really).

Dougie in the press said that the club needs to sort out the players who lack character, well how about the manager drops them and plays players he trusts, i am told there is a rift/ clique within the club that revolves around Knight, other offenders being Pratley, Mears and others i guess. So why would he pick them? have the courage and leave out players you do not trust seems to me to be a good starting point.

In my opinion no one including the fans, have the slightest idea what our best team is? we are 30 games in and i wager that if asked we could not name a uniformed system or team even on this forum.

Try it Best Keeper ?

best Fullbacks?

Centre half pairing?

Medo or Spearing (did he really think he was a Liverpool class player)

Wingers ? Hall, Eagles (current boo boy) Lee ? 

Then the Jewel in the Crown WE HAVE JUST ONE FIT STRIKER and he's on Loan (cry at this point)
Then we have some calling for 4 4 2 ? if Juke was injured at any point last night we would have Zero striking options.

So enjoy playing manager, just shows how tough it is, because you all think your right,(and why not no one will judge you)
But unless something changes in terms of attitude, none of it matters.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's about talent too at the end of the day. 

we really don't have the players to take the pressure of themselves by passing and moving, Mills and Knight are back to front players, Ream I believe can pick a pass but the midfield never show anyway so he's forced to do the same.

Spearing and Medo are sideways players, Eagles is more of a dribbler, Mark Davies is at his best only in the hole IMO anywhere else, so asking him to come deeper negates all his ability, mortiz has some talent but seems to be up and down.

so whatever system you put these people in they will struggle.

I would play a mid like this...

Danns    Pratley

Eagles                                            LCY

Mark Davies

Juke

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:You can mess about with formation and players all you like but unless the spirit in the camp is a positive one, then nothing will work. To have success the players, management, fans etc all have to have belief and pull in the same direction.

At this point the fans have lost faith in the manager, the manager has lost faith with a section of his team publicly saying they lack character.
The players seem to have stopped playing for this manager the result catastrophic run of form.

The solution (laughably) on here is to select a team from players who don't play for us (left back) select a player at this crucial stage who has never played at centre half (Baptise), bring a player in at right back who is so far out in the cold that he saw Captain Scott's husky, Mears (really).

Dougie in the press said that the club needs to sort out the players who lack character, well how about the manager drops them and plays players he trusts, i am told there is a rift/ clique within the club that revolves around Knight, other offenders being Pratley, Mears and others i guess. So why would he pick them? have the courage and leave out players you do not trust seems to me to be a good starting point.

In my opinion no one including the fans, have the slightest idea what our best team is? we are 30 games in and i wager that if asked we could not name a uniformed system or team even on this forum.

Try it Best Keeper ?

best Fullbacks?

Centre half pairing?

Medo or Spearing (did he really think he was a Liverpool class player)

Wingers ? Hall, Eagles (current boo boy) Lee ? 

Then the Jewel in the Crown WE HAVE JUST ONE FIT STRIKER and he's on Loan (cry at this point)
Then we have some calling for 4 4 2 ? if Juke was injured at any point last night we would have Zero striking options.

So enjoy playing manager, just shows how tough it is, because you all think your right,(and why not no one will judge you)
But unless something changes in terms of attitude, none of it matters.
I feel your pain Wessy, but having a good "spirit in the camp"  won't teach Spearing to pass, Eagles to cross or any of them to finish...or close down properly...or join the attack from midfield...or mark players at the far post...or clear the first man with corners...or...well you get the drift.
Sadly, neither will a new manager I suspect.
Whatever happens manager-wise we have to batten down the hatches whilst we clear out the dead wood and rebuild from scratch - a process that Dougie has at least started and it wouldn't surprise me if loads of high earners were put up for sale in the summer in addition to those whose contracts will be allowed to expire.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I have no problem replacing Spearing, but looking at that Midfield Hipster. Most Fans do not rate Pratley most have a downer at this time with Eagles, most feel Chungy only plays when in the mood, Most may be happy with Danns (industry) And for some strange reason based nothing i have witnessed the Messiah is Mavies!!! this guy produces one performance in 12 if your lucky, yes he runs with a ball better than most, and yes he should be the boss man at this level.

But he rarely ever reaches a level of performance that is acceptable for a team in our predicament. in short in the most part we carry him.

So for me three of your selections are light weight at this time, and one will never be good enough that leaves Danns Yes you guessed a loanee.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wessy wrote:

My team mate, so I'll pick who I want!

As far as I'm concerned we have a major problem at left back - I've banged on about it before - so nothing new from me.

I just don't rate anybody fit at the club who can fill the role so I see the priority is to bring some natural defensive left back in, pronto. Is that really so laughable? Others on this thread have picked a fullback who isn't even able to play because of injury - I would have thought that to be more odd myself.

Baptiste had an outsanding season last year as a centre back at Blackpool - so not sure why you don't think he's ever played in that position before???

As for Mears I think the problem he's not playing is as much to do with a clash of personalities than his skill level. It's not as though we are exactly spoilt for choice for players, so if I was the new boss I'd at least try and get the best out of what players we have - rather than keep them in the dustbin because the last manager put them there.

You've got to play the cards you are dealt - that's all I'm trying to do.

Anyway, what would your team be?

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I understand wanderlust but it's one element that must be present, nobody said Spearing couldn't pass at Liverpool or Eagles at Man Utd they obviously have a talent. But confidence is key.

You saw it drain away last night, as soon as they scored the crowd turned and performances dropped.
There is a something seriously wrong when no one runs into space, when they don't look for the ball and as you say stop closing down. i can't think of any element at our football club that at this moment is working. We are in serious trouble because teams below us will put something together at some point, but can we?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:I have no problem replacing Spearing, but looking at that Midfield Hipster. Most Fans do not rate Pratley most have a downer at this time with Eagles, most feel Chungy only plays when in the mood, Most may be happy with Danns (industry) And for some strange reason based nothing i have witnessed the Messiah is Mavies!!! this guy produces one performance in 12 if your lucky, yes he runs with a ball better than most, and yes he should be the boss man at this level.

But he rarely ever reaches a level of performance that is acceptable for a team in our predicament. in short in the most part we carry him.

So for me three of your selections are light weight at this time, and one will never be good enough that leaves Danns Yes you guessed a loanee.

the fans don't "rate" anyone, the only players they do are the ones who are not playing or on loan, but of course if they pop into the team the ones they replace become the "answer"

fact of the matter is Danns and Pratley both have defensive and offensive abilities, spearing and medo don't. Thats honestly my only reasoning for putting them in there.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:I understand wanderlust but it's one element that must be present, nobody said Spearing couldn't pass at Liverpool or Eagles at Man Utd they obviously have a talent. But confidence is key.

You saw it drain away last night, as soon as they scored the crowd turned and performances dropped.
There is a something seriously wrong when no one runs into space, when they don't look for the ball and as you say stop closing down. i can't think of any element at our football club that at this moment is working. We are in serious trouble because teams below us will put something together at some point, but can we?
I agree it's a vital element and that in the past Spearing and others have shown talent, but if as you suggest the two are interlinked, then it's a two-way street.
If I'd been playing as badly as Spearing has recently then my confidence would be down the pan too. 
Still it would be nice to think that the team could be revitalised by a good shrink.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Fair play Sluffy forgot that it was supposed to be a new manager etc, The Tierney selection is another that i term laughable, surely it has to be from players available.

What i am trying to say is we really can't even put a couple of names down that are a given. we change with the changes made by DF by that i mean most would have picked Lonergan now its Bogden again just because he has the shirt. We cannot pick a settled side. 

My team ? thought i said the fans are clueless ?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wessy wrote:
My team ? thought i said the fans are clueless ?

You're not a fan in this thread mate - you're the manager!

So then, what's your team?

(Only meant in joke - no need to put one up if you don't want too)

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:Fair play Sluffy forgot that it was supposed to be a new manager etc, The Tierney selection is another that i term laughable, surely it has to be from players available.

You find it laughable, no one gives a fuck.

It's jut a bit of fun....

Oooooooh, get her.........!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I would play a mid like this...

Danns    Pratley

Eagles                                            LCY

Mark Davies

Juke