Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should you worry about the opposition?

+4
Natasha Whittam
JAH
aaron_bwfc
Sluffy
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

wanderlust wrote:
terenceanne wrote:Was it the Birmingham game?  anyway the team that brought that big center forward in..... he was winning everything in the air and I think he scored??? not sure now .....  but where was our biggest defender to cope with that threat........err.....well parked on the bench.  yes sir the mighty Zat came on I believe as a sub after the damage had been done.  That's scouting the opposition in all it's glory.

Or like putting Baptise against a fast wing dribbler....... scout all you want but then you have to make a plan to counter their strengths.
Whereas Dougie brought Zat on 4 minutes after Zigic scored in the last game of this season. Stopped Zigic but Caddis scabbed an equaliser at the death.

Right you are....I couldn't remember which game it was.  Zigic was winning all the balls in the air. Presume Doog knew Zigic was coming and yet benched the Zat man after a little run of decent games to boot.  I'm just saying that's tactics well beyond my skills. Or as in the point of the article....why study the opposition at all if you are not going to bother acting on it.

terenceanne wrote:
Right you are....I couldn't remember which game it was.  Zigic was winning all the balls in the air. Presume Doog knew Zigic was coming and yet benched the Zat man after a little run of decent games to boot.  I'm just saying that's tactics well beyond my skills. Or as in the point of the article....why study the opposition at all if you are not going to bother acting on it.

I don't follow, Knight hadn't played for weeks prior to the game. Are you suggesting Mills or Wheater should have been dropped.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Managers need to pick their best eleven players. They should be willing to compromise here and there, but when a whole team is picked week on week based on what the opposition might do, it's a problem.

I shared 74's frustration regarding Coyle. If insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results, he was definitely insane. But that's not a reason to chop and change mindlessly as Dougie does.

Coyle just had one stupid idea. Freedman moves from one stupid idea to another. There's not much in it really.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:
Coyle just had one stupid idea. Freedman moves from one stupid idea to another. There's not much in it really.
...and yet some posters call DF Coyle Mk 2 and complain that he plays 451 all the time. 

Dougie is indeed an enigma.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

wanderlust wrote:
doffcocker wrote:
...and yet some posters call DF Coyle Mk 2 and complain that he plays 451 all the time. 

Dougie is indeed an enigma.

He's played one up front at home against lowly teams who we would expect to beat.  That alone has been a head scratcher for most of us.  Then turned around and played two up front away the next game  scratch 
Anyway we are beating a dead horse with this thread...lets move on.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Big Sam would analyse the oppo to find their weaknesses and decide how to best exploit them and that was that. Anything beyond it was senseless and talking about how great they were could paralyse our guys into fear or indecision so he didn't do it. He just sent out the lads with the instructions that played best to our own strengths and made use of whatever gaps or holes the opposition had and we all saw the results. Dougie should take a leaf out of that book if he can.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum