Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Allardyce's Best player - QF - Okocha v Campo

+4
Reebok Trotter
Natasha Whittam
boltonbonce
Sluffy
8 posters

Reply to topic

One vote only - who do you want to go through to the Semi's?

Allardyce's Best player - QF - Okocha v Campo Vote_lcap57%Allardyce's Best player - QF - Okocha v Campo Vote_rcap 57% [ 13 ]
Allardyce's Best player - QF - Okocha v Campo Vote_lcap43%Allardyce's Best player - QF - Okocha v Campo Vote_rcap 43% [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 23

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

The third of our quarter final match ups pits ranked 2nd and crusher of Kevin Nolan in the last round by 17-1 (who voted for Nolan and why?) the wonderful Jay Jay Okocha, who is up against ranked 7th, club icon and emphatic victor over Bruno N'Gotty by 17-4, the magical Ivan Campo.

Seems Ivan is about to end his run at this stage.

But do you see it that way too?

This is so tough to call, but I've got to go with Okocha purely because of the fact he is probably the most skillful player I have ever seen in a Bolton shirt.

In fact, scrub that, he's definitely the most skillful Bolton player I've had the privilege of seeing play.

I'll always rate Campo - pure class but Okocha just shades it for me.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Like Bread I have to go with JJ. Always had me on the edge of my seat. Skilful,unpredictable,with flashes of pure genius,he was a joy to watch. Not only that,he clearly loved playing. Legend.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

No contest, Okocha was the most over-rated player of my lifetime, and Campo was pretty good without being brilliant.

People seem to have forgotten the moans and groans everytime JayJay booted the ball into row Z or got caught in possession trying a fancy trick.

But I guess he was on the credits of Match of the Day for a couple of seasons so the armchair brigade will have to vote for Okocha.

Would you have Okocha back in the team now?

Yes or no - no bullshit pontificating, just a straight answer.....

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:No contest, Okocha was the most over-rated player of my lifetime, and Campo was pretty good without being brilliant.

People seem to have forgotten the moans and groans everytime JayJay booted the ball into row Z or got caught in possession trying a fancy trick.

But I guess he was on the credits of Match of the Day for a couple of seasons so the armchair brigade will have to vote for Okocha.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Another close one but Okocha just gets the nod from me.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Would you have Okocha back in the team now?

Yes or no - no bullshit pontificating, just a straight answer.....

No, I honestly didn't rate Okocha very highly.

Yes, he could take a free-kick and a dangerous throw-in but 99% of the time he was bloody useless.

The odd great goal and fancy trick seem to blind Bolton fans to what an average player he was. Same could be said of Diouf.

If Okocha & Diouf had been named Smith & Rogers and were born in Grimsby they wouldn't have played 20 games between them.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Easy, JJ was the best Bolton player ever to play at the Reebok by 21 miles, he used to make people look stupid with the stuff he did.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:Easy, JJ was the best Bolton player ever to play at the Reebok by 21 miles, he used to make people look stupid with the stuff he did.

Total myth.

He did it a couple of times, his free kick against Villa and his solo goal against West Ham.

Give me three other examples where Okocha made people look silly and it resulted in a Bolton goal. You can't because it never happened. All his "tricks" either never came off or were 50 yards from the goal.

Even the "trick" against Arsenal on the MotD intro went out of play as he was doing it.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Campo although it is close. Okocha was great but I think most Bolton fans overrate him. As Nat says occasional moments of brilliance aren't enough to make him Allardyce's best player - not that Campo was either.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Campo for me, when he played well the whole team played well. Okocha was a very talented player but was very hit and miss at times, campo had more of an Influence on the team.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

One of the few Wanderers players who gave me goosebumps at times. That feeling when the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Some people have short memories but I always remember the flicks and tricks. They didn't always come off but at least Jay Jay wasn't afraid to try them.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I have the highest respect for Campo. Absolute legend.

That said, he's up against one of my favourite all-time players... so...

... sorry, Ivan.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:They didn't always come off but at least Jay Jay wasn't afraid to try them.

They rarely came off and often put us under pressure.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

He was very good at long throws.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Bump!

Again, I give people one last chance to vote on this tie, as up to now the scores are within just two of each other and I would like to move on to do the semi final line ups.

Thank you.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum