Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

School teachers you remember.

+7
Soul Kitchen
doffcocker
Reebok Trotter
Keegan
bryan458
boltonbonce
Sluffy
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1School teachers you remember. Empty School teachers you remember. Sat Jul 19 2014, 13:21

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Breadman wrote:Do you remember Langtree the big fat, smelly Chemistry teacher?

There was something not right about him too, if you ask me.

I didn't go to Breads school but one of the teachers that still sticks in my mind forty years on was my english teacher Miss Barber.

I'm sure anybody who came into contact with her will remember her too.

She terrified me and I didn't terrify easily!

You certainly didn't take liberties in her lessons.

She was good though, very good.  Got me my english 'O' level which was quite an amazing achievement with my dyslexia back then - I was scared to write anything because I never knew if I was spelling words correctly or not.

I saw that she passed away some months back - Jean Barber of Blackpool.

Rest in peace an a belated thank you for helping me overcome my barrier and succeed in life.

Any crazy teachers you remember - good like me or dodgy like Bread's?

2School teachers you remember. Empty Re: School teachers you remember. Sat Jul 19 2014, 13:40

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Mr Lowe,our maths teacher. Nice enough chap,but he used an old plimsoll,called 'Stingray' to beat our backsides with. Mr Crowcroft,the science teacher was suitably armed with 2 canes,'Big Oscar' and 'Little Oscar'. These were used with gusto and a fair amount of sadistic pleasure,although 'Big Oscar' was held back for the more serious crimes. Strange that all these instruments of torture all seemed to have a name. How times have changed. Would you allow a teacher to physically chastise your son/daughter? Despite all that I still came away having the greatest respect for both teachers.

3School teachers you remember. Empty Re: School teachers you remember. Sat Jul 19 2014, 13:43

We had a Physics teacher called Grogan who wasn't a full shilling.

Not that this means anything really, but he had a proper Marty Feldman thing going on with one of his eyes and it was a bit off-putting.

He used to cycle to Smithills every day from Rochdale and with me being a keen cyclist back then, we got on quite well.

But he was shit at teaching Physics.

I'll never forget him trying to explain Hooke's Law which is all about a springs and he uttered what immediately became the phrase that the class of 86 will always remember him by -

"So remember, it's not about how long it is, it's how stiff it is that's important. Any questions?"

Poor sod.....

4School teachers you remember. Empty Re: School teachers you remember. Sat Jul 19 2014, 13:52

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Our music teacher,Mr Rutter,had a funny right leg that he had to swing at right angles to his body to gain any forward momentum. Passing him in the corridor was an art in itself. The best way to set him off on a rant was to mention jazz,a musical genre he despised with a passion. But he did get me interested in the folk music scene,so big thanks to him for that.

5School teachers you remember. Empty Re: School teachers you remember. Sat Jul 19 2014, 14:02

When I was in the fifth form, I got myself embroiled in a spot of bother with a lad over something and nothing but what I didn't know was his cousin was reputedly cock of the school. 

(Wonder if kids still say that today?)

Anyway, he sought me out the next day whilst I was eating my butties in our form room under the supposedly watchful eye of our Form Teacher Harry Booth.

Crash, bang, whallop ! I'm on the floor with a busted conk and I hear my assailant turn his attention to Boothy - "And you can fuck off an' all, Booth you fat wanker!" 

Whereupon Harry Booth, my supposed "protector", climbed in a cupboard and pulled the doors shut behind him, shouting "Go away! Leave me alone!"

Oh how we all laughed.......

6School teachers you remember. Empty Re: School teachers you remember. Sat Jul 19 2014, 14:27

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I Remember Mr Needham, who everyone thought was gay, someone wrote on the blackboard "Jim Ned is a Peel Boy", when he walked into the classroom he took one look at it and burst into tears, fucking funny until the headmaster stormed in and made us explain what a "Peel Boy" was, then it got frightening!!!!!!!

7School teachers you remember. Empty Re: School teachers you remember. Sat Jul 19 2014, 17:06

Sluffy wrote:

She was good though, very good.  Got me my english 'O' level which was quite an amazing achievement with my dyslexia back then - I was scared to write anything because I never knew if I was spelling words correctly or not.

Judging by the title of this thread she wasn't that good! 

(Unless it is a deliberate spelling mistake)

8School teachers you remember. Empty Re: School teachers you remember. Sat Jul 19 2014, 17:37

OneFinFreedman wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

Boo!

Bad form, that man......

9School teachers you remember. Empty Re: School teachers you remember. Sat Jul 19 2014, 19:00

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

There was a teacher at my Primary School when I was just a little tot - Mrs. Myers. She was quite fat and used to let rip some quite terrifying farts during class. To disguise the sound, she would time them and pull her metal chair along the concrete floor. One day, she mistimed her effort and pulled the chair too early...

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

10School teachers you remember. Empty Re: School teachers you remember. Sat Jul 19 2014, 19:06

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was hopeless at maths when I was younger and I hated maths lessons. When I was sixteen we had a maths teacher called Mrs Vickery who was a young newly wed teacher in her twenties. In fact, her brother was a pupil at the school. She was by far the best teacher I ever had the pleasure of being taught by. She explained everything and made it seem so easy and she had bags of patience too. I sailed through maths that year and it taught me that a good teacher is truly worth his or her weight in gold.

11School teachers you remember. Empty Re: School teachers you remember. Sat Jul 19 2014, 19:22

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

We had a scouse PE teacher who was everything you'd expect of a person who was scouse and a PE teacher.

12School teachers you remember. Empty Re: School teachers you remember. Sat Jul 19 2014, 19:50

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:We had a scouse PE teacher who was everything you'd expect of a person who was scouse and a PE teacher.

Laughing 

13School teachers you remember. Empty Re: School teachers you remember. Sat Jul 19 2014, 20:01

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

We had a French teacher at school who was fit as fuck. One knobhead in our class sent a request to a Radio One dj called Dave Cash at the time and asked for a record to be played for her, giving him the full run down on her. He played the request and the story made the Evening News the day after!
Another teacher I remember was a music teacher callled Dowling and he was a right cunt!!
He used to slipper kids for fun and I found out some time later from another teacher that all his colleagues thought he was a twat as well and the headmaster fucked him off for incompetency.
Another guy I remember was the history teacher we had called Smith. Great bloke who had played rugby league for Bradford and GB, aYorkshire man, he spotted four of us on telly playing wag when Lancs played Gloucester in the famous night time Gillete Cup match in 71. He said fuck all, but then again he was a top bloke!!

14School teachers you remember. Empty Re: School teachers you remember. Sat Jul 19 2014, 20:06

I bet Norpig remembers Miss Finlay the history teacher and her "voluminous assets."

She wasn't much older than us and every lad in my class fancied her rotten.

The opposite of Miss Finlay was a fat, lesbian, hippy RE teacher and I can't remember her name.

(I think I've mentally blacked it out because she was so fucking rank....)

15School teachers you remember. Empty Re: School teachers you remember. Sat Jul 19 2014, 20:26

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

RE meant "Religious Education" when I was a lad... you had a Lesbian RE teacher? How quaint!

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

16School teachers you remember. Empty Re: School teachers you remember. Sat Jul 19 2014, 20:27

Our school was quite progressive for its time.

...and I'm not sure if she was an official lesbian- we just decided she was.

17School teachers you remember. Empty Re: School teachers you remember. Sat Jul 19 2014, 20:43

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My infant school head was a lesbian. She wore tweed jackets and skirts,brogues and wore a trilby with a feather in it. My Dad told me it was because she was the 'outdoor type'.

18School teachers you remember. Empty Re: School teachers you remember. Sat Jul 19 2014, 21:27

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

mmmm lets see who I can remember...

Miss Kenny - headteacher of St Josephs, Shepherd Cross Street
Mr Crawford - one of the teachers at St Josephs (and eventually became headmaster when I had work experience at the school)
Mr Clarkson - who taught me a great deal, even when I did work experience at the school - he was the one that motivated me to do teacher training at University (as well as normal degree), just a shame I had a couple of bad teaching practice experiences.

Thornleigh the teachers I remember were:
Mr Batters - Latin teacher - mad as a hatter, and when he was angry I felt sorry for the classroom walls and board-dusters!
Mrs McKenzie - Geography teacher for here brightly coloured tights, Deirdre-esque style glasses and tartan skirts she always wore
Mr Blood - Physics teacher - a good laugh and a great teacher
Fr Willliams - Maths teacher - stern, but also had a sense of humour
Br/Fr Gerry - taught a few different subject and a good laugh
Mr O'Neill - Sixth form Geography teacher

Plus other who, at this moment, in time, cannot remember their names.

All in all seem to have had a good educational relationship with all teachers I had!

Last edited by bwfc71 on Sun Jul 20 2014, 00:03; edited 1 time in total

19School teachers you remember. Empty Re: School teachers you remember. Sat Jul 19 2014, 23:17

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

OneFinFreedman wrote:
Sluffy wrote:

No, I'm not clever enough grammatically to make deliberate mistakes.

To be honest I still can't see what I've done wrong, unless there should be an apostrophe in teachers?

I didn't thing there was as would not that have meant something belonging to a teacher?

Anyway back in the old days you really had to have 'O' levels in English and maths if you wanted to get into a decent white collar job, and my teacher helped me get the english part of it despite my difficulties (even to today) with my spelling and grammar.

They may never have been outstanding but although they may have made life a little bit more difficult for me, they never held be back enough to stop me doing ok in life.

Funnily enough maths always came easy for me and I had some of the worst teachers imaginable.

Anyway thank you Miss Barber, I appreciate how you helped me and I'm sorry if I failed you with the title of this thread.

20School teachers you remember. Empty Re: School teachers you remember. Sun Jul 20 2014, 01:12

Spot on.

Yet again.....

The number of CV's I've received from recruitment companies on behalf of University graduates who want a job but who can't spell properly or construct a basic sentence is frightening.

I've always employed a simple rule - If the one piece of paper that you're going to send to me to try and convince me that you're worth taking seriously is full of spelling mistakes and poorly constructed bollocks, it's going in the bin.

That may sound harsh, but as a pupil at Smithills Grammar School, I had it drummed into me that a basic command of English (our language, FFS!) is a pre-requisite for success.

However, I'm starting to think that I'm alone in this.

I recently was embroiled in a heated discussion with colleagues about a candidate whose CV looked like it'd been put together by a  retarded chimp, but who looked "clean" on Facebook and "seemed like a nice girl" and because she'd been to a decent university, was considered a good catch.

Utter bollocks......

If you spell simple, uncomplicated words incorrectly on your CV and aren't bright enough to check it and don't know what a paragraph is, I don't give a shit whether or not there are no pictures of your genitals on a social networking site and you went to what is considered a "good" university........

We are dumbing down at an alarming rate in this country.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum