Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Joe Mason back at Bolton Wanderers - but may be too late for Capital One Cup tie

+3
Natasha Whittam
wanderlust
karlypants
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Joe Mason is back at Wanderers after sealing a third loan switch yesterday and manager Dougie Freedman is delighted to have him on board again.

The Whites boss has had a frustrating summer in search of attacking reinforcements, missing out on Lukas Jutkiewicz, who signed for Burnley from Middlesbrough after a successful loan spell with Wanderers last season.

But Mason, who enjoyed a fruitful period alongside Jutkiewicz at the back end of last season, was also high on the manager’s list of targets and patience has finally paid off with the 23-year-old again moving north from Cardiff City.

Freedman is still in the hunt for more additions before the transfer window closes on September 1 but is more than happy to have secured Mason’s return for starters, though he may miss out against Bury in tonight’s Capital One Cup clash at the Macron Stadium with international clearance needed to rubber-stamp the paperwork on his season-long loan.

The manager told The Bolton News: “Joe was here last season and did very well for us.

“He was someone I was desperate to get back and Cardiff have been very good with us in letting us have him.

“We have been patient to try and get Joe and we have a real good young player there.

“It suits him to come here and get games and it suits us to give him those games.

“He is a huge talent.

“Where we are right now as a football club, we are not in a position to go out and get players who have been there and done it.

“We want to get good young players in, hopefully buying them, and see the potential in them.

“Joe has that. He has showed glimpses of what he’s got.

“His style suits our style and I am really pleased to get that over the line.”

Mason has joined the Whites on loan, like fellow Bluebird Kevin McNaughton, and it could be any further additions are also brought in on a temporary basis.

Freedman has previously stressed his desire to use the loan market more sparingly but admits some deals have to be done that way in the current financial climate at the Macron Stadium.

And it will not deter him in his search for those two more targets he wants to add to his front line in the next few weeks.

The Scot added: “In an ideal world you would rather sign the Joe Masons of this world and the Kevin McNaughtons.

“But it is difficult for us so the second-best option is to get them in on loan.

“I have seen over my short career managers who pick up players who come available just for the sake of it but I don’t like to do that.

“I would rather go for a player who I feel can help the team.

“We have a couple in mind and hopefully we can get them.

“Will we buy them? If the price is right I will go to the board. If not we will try for a loan and that is the way it has to work right now.

“I don’t want to hide that fact. I want to be up front and honest with the fans with what we are trying to do.

“I am still looking. I need two more attacking players because in the Championship when the games come thick and fast you have to have a squad with enough players to pick from that can win you games.”

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Good honest stuff about our position however I can't help but get the feeling that Dougie has lost out on his other main targets so is now scraping the barrel. Not his fault obviously but the language used implies disappointment. Would be interesting to see what Nixon says on the subject as he was previously tweeting about a "20 goal striker" and "top quality" - I think we've missed out on that.

Perhaps Nixon should just keep schtum in future, as he's doing his reputation as being "in the know" no good whatsoever by keep doing this.

Yes, he may know who Freedman is targeting but by releasing his cryptic tweets well before any deals are completed, there's always the chance that they will fall through, leaving the fans frustrated and Nixon looking a bit of a tool.

Bring back the old (pre-social media) days when the first we knew about any signings was when Gordon Sharrock put down his whisky & soda for two minutes and typed some copy that confirmed who we had actually signed....

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Perhaps Nixon should just keep schtum in future, as he's doing his reputation as being "in the know" no good whatsoever by keep doing this.

Yes, he may know who Freedman is targeting but by releasing his cryptic tweets well before any deals are completed, there's always the chance that they will fall through, leaving the fans frustrated and Nixon looking a bit of a tool.

Bring back the old (pre-social media) days when the first we knew about any signings was when Gordon Sharrock put down his whisky & soda for two minutes and typed some copy that confirmed who we had actually signed....
I think the bigger danger is that of alerting other clubs to who we are interested in as they will immediately know they can price us out of the market.

Easy life eh? Let Dougie do all the scouting legwork because they know he can only target low cost affordable players then step in at the last minute with a £10 offer to gazump him.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So what happened to the long term plan Dougie?

Our main striker belonging to another club does us no long term favours.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:So what happened to the long term plan Dougie?

Our main striker belonging to another club does us no long term favours.

The Scot added: “In an ideal world you would rather sign the Joe Masons of this world and the Kevin McNaughtons.

“But it is difficult for us so the second-best option is to get them in on loan

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

More to the point, the "main striker" is Beckford and the alternative Dougie's after hasn't arrived yet - perhaps because he has been priced out yet again. 

Still the good news is that in theory now that Mason has arrived Dougie can play two up top even if it's Mason & Beckford. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't try it.
4231 is soooo last season so maybe we'll see Dougie going back to 352 like Martinez at Wigan 4 years ago or the new look Manure.

If we even think about playing three at the back, we'll set a new record for goals conceded in a Championship season.

Like I said yesterday, enough with the giving him daft ideas, already......

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I agree, but it's not the long-term plan that Dougie tried to convince everyone he had.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I agree, but it's not the long-term plan that Dougie tried to convince everyone he had.

I'm not sure if you're being purposely obtuse, but it's clear even in that interview that his "long term plan" hasn't come to fruition because he's been restricted by the financial situation.

That is one thing I don't think DF can be blamed for.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I'm not sure if you're being purposely obtuse, but it's clear even in that interview that his "long term plan" hasn't come to fruition because he's been restricted by the financial situation.

So there can only be a long term plan once we're rich again?

Dougie knew the score when he signed his fat contract (fattest in the league at the time?), a long term plan had to be about picking up free transfers, spotting potential in the lower leagues, and improving the players he already had.

To bleat about lack of money now is a bit like paying a prostitute for sex and being disappointed when she won't marry you.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Dougie knew the score when he signed his fat contract (fattest in the league at the time?), a long term plan had to be about picking up free transfers, spotting potential in the lower leagues, and improving the players he already had.

To bleat about lack of money now is a bit like paying a prostitute for sex and being disappointed when she won't marry you.

i always thought you were Quent! Cat's out the bag now Nat

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

When you're a club like Bolton I don't think it's reasonable to expect a "long" term plan to come to fruition after 2 seasons. 

I don't know what kind of plan you can really have outside of the top 4 in the premier league anyway. 

plan to win nothing... forever.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I think you both have a point but I think the reality is that Freedman would prefer to buy and thought that he might be able to do a deal for Juke and Mason etc but was unable to do so. I'm sure that in making this statement of intent, Dougie is saying that if the opportunity comes along to buy he will. Stating fact and no bleating to be seen anywhere.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

When you're a club like Bolton I don't think it's reasonable to expect a "long" term plan to come to fruition after 2 seasons. 

I don't know what kind of plan you can really have outside of the top 4 in the premier league anyway. 

Plan to get in the Premier League, plan to challenge for the Championship play-offs, plan to entertain? I'd settle for any of these.

Obviously to an armchair fan entertainment value is of no importance.

The long term plan is to get the academy producing talent that can either improve the first team or be sold for a profit, making the club more sustainable and giving us a platform to build. 

Whether that's working we've no idea, Freedman's signed a lot of youth some look good, others have already left. As Hipster says it will take longer than 2 seasons for us to find out.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Plan to get in the Premier League, plan to challenge for the Championship play-offs, plan to entertain? I'd settle for any of these.

There was a time when I thought it wouldn't be of importance to a Chorley fan either.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:

You would know

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
There was a time when I thought it wouldn't be of importance to a Chorley fan either.

I saw more entertainment at Victory Park on Saturday than I saw all last season at the Reebok.

Lowestoft's keeper had an incredible game with three world class saves. Chorley attacked like Barcelona but unfortunately defended like Bolton.

But no one could say they didn't get value for money.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

We signed Trotter in July, a player that couldn't have made it clearer while he was here on loan that he wasn't up to the task. And here we are, a game into the season, with two permanent strikers on the books and no money for a third.

Maybe Trotter will go on to prove that he was worth the gamble, but if money is as tight as we're led to believe, the fact that we're gambling on players like that tells me the plan to economise and rebuild the squad leaves a lot to be desired.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum