Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Isn't Life to Be Lived?

+13
Bollotom2014
boltonbonce
Numpty 28723
wanderlust
White84
Banks of the Croal
Tigermin
Soul Kitchen
Reebok Trotter
Bolton Nuts
Hipster_Nebula
bwfc71
Natasha Whittam
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Isn't Life to Be Lived? Sun Sep 21 2014, 19:41

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So many people die young.

One minute you're eating your curly-wurly watching the X-Factor, and the next you're face down on your coffee table.

So why do so many of us lead humdrum lives? Life is short, yet the vast majority of us rarely leave the county we were born in, have a shit boring job, and spend our free time with family we don't even like.

Why do we do it? Why do we waste so much of our lives doing things we don't even enjoy?

I am sick of my job. Tomorrow I am going to sell Whittam Towers, quit my job, put a few things in a bag and just fuck off around the world going nowhere in particular. I want to have some real experiences, meet some interesting people, and just spend every day as if it's my last.

Are you with me?

2Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Re: Isn't Life to Be Lived? Sun Sep 21 2014, 19:44

Natasha Whittam wrote:

One minute you're eating your curly-wurly watching the X-Factor, and the next you're face down on your coffee table.

Why do you have to bring sex into everything?

3Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Re: Isn't Life to Be Lived? Sun Sep 21 2014, 19:46

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:
Why do you have to bring sex into everything?

What would you know about sex? Remember, I've read Mrs Breadman's blog.

Anyway, shut the fuck up. This is a life changing thread. No one who posts regularly on here can claim they are satisfied with life. Join me before it's too late.

4Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Re: Isn't Life to Be Lived? Sun Sep 21 2014, 20:00

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

How much for Whittam Towers?

Xanadag Conglomerate BV could be interested in buying.

5Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Re: Isn't Life to Be Lived? Sun Sep 21 2014, 20:10

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Honestly you're right Nat, I've thought many times about just doing a chris mccandless but I don't.

humans feel the need to conform, "always tomorrow" mentality, tomorrow never comes.

6Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Re: Isn't Life to Be Lived? Sun Sep 21 2014, 20:13

Bolton Nuts

Admin

I totally feel this thread. But I never act on it. Wish I would. Life is out there and I know Im not having enough of it.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

7Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Re: Isn't Life to Be Lived? Sun Sep 21 2014, 20:16

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Honestly you're right Nat, I've thought many times about just doing a chris mccandless but I don't.

humans feel the need to conform, "always tomorrow" mentality, tomorrow never comes.

When I've sold Whittam Towers I'll let you know the rendezvous point.

8Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Re: Isn't Life to Be Lived? Sun Sep 21 2014, 20:17

Ok, I'm in.

What's the plan?

I hope this is not just some sort of Ponzi scheme, where we all flog our houses and send you the money to buy round the world air tickets and you fuck off with all the cash.

What assurances can you offer that we won't get burned here....?

9Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Re: Isn't Life to Be Lived? Sun Sep 21 2014, 20:18

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I did it almost 8 years ago - just got up one morning, booked  flight and a week later was in Amsterdam, got a bed in a hostel for a week, got myself a job and then a room in a shared house... from thereonin I have always said I wouldn't rest on my laurels but unfortunately since moving back to UK I have ended up in a routine again - only interrupted by trips back to the Dam - but from the Dam I did travel using trains, planes and cars and went as far as Cuba, Florida and Australia.   It is something I want/need to do again.   It is good for ones-self and not only do one learn a lot about themselves but also learn about what it is being human in various cultures and how we are all basically the same and its just man-made politics that makes us different.

10Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Re: Isn't Life to Be Lived? Sun Sep 21 2014, 20:18

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:Life is out there and I know Im not having enough of it.

That's a good quote. And 100% true for the vast majority of human beings.

Feel free to join me and Hipster on our journey.

11Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Re: Isn't Life to Be Lived? Sun Sep 21 2014, 20:20

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:I did it almost 8 years ago - just got up one morning, booked  flight and a week later was in Amsterdam, got a bed in a hostel for a week, got myself a job and then a room in a shared house...

Brave, I'll give you that. But you made the mistake of getting a job and therefore putting down roots.

Start selling everything you own tomorrow and we'll all meet at Bolton bus station exactly 3 months from today.

12Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Re: Isn't Life to Be Lived? Sun Sep 21 2014, 20:25

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc71 wrote:I did it almost 8 years ago - just got up one morning, booked  flight and a week later was in Amsterdam, got a bed in a hostel for a week, got myself a job and then a room in a shared house...

Brave, I'll give you that. But you made the mistake of getting a job and therefore putting down roots.

Start selling everything you own tomorrow and we'll all meet at Bolton bus station exactly 3 months from today.

Not really a bad mistake as the job was used to have money to get to places and although I did invest in my city centre apartment (which I still own and rent out) but it was base to see the world from - basically cost of travel is far cheaper there then it is here - not as many taxes!!!!

13Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Re: Isn't Life to Be Lived? Sun Sep 21 2014, 21:07

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Life is a journey not a destination. Live every day as if it is your last.

14Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Re: Isn't Life to Be Lived? Sun Sep 21 2014, 22:18

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:So many people die young.

So why do so many of us lead humdrum lives? Life is short, yet the vast majority of us rarely leave the county we were born in, have a shit boring job, and spend our free time with family we don't even like.

Why do we do it? Why do we waste so much of our lives doing things we don't even enjoy?

I am sick of my job. Tomorrow I am going to sell Whittam Towers, quit my job, put a few things in a bag and just fuck off around the world going nowhere in particular. I want to have some real experiences, meet some interesting people, and just spend every day as if it's my last.

Are you with me?
No I love life!!! Smile I pity boring cnuts like you!

15Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Re: Isn't Life to Be Lived? Sun Sep 21 2014, 22:40

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Reebok Trotter wrote:Life is a journey not a destination. Live every day as if it is your last.

Its just not possible though is it?

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

16Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Re: Isn't Life to Be Lived? Sun Sep 21 2014, 22:57

Tigermin

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Made a vow in my early thirties,live life while you have your health because the older you get the harder it gets and by the fuck have I had a good time ! !

17Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Re: Isn't Life to Be Lived? Sun Sep 21 2014, 23:09

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Someone once said to me "Life gets hard then you die"

Won't be long for me then Sad

18Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Re: Isn't Life to Be Lived? Sun Sep 21 2014, 23:18

Being serious for a minute, I've had a couple of "moments" when I've thought "You know what....there's more to life than getting up every morning at six o'clock, sitting in a traffic jam for an hour then spending all day trying to get a bunch of disinterested dicks to do something that some other dick has told me they have to do."

One was on a boat in the Med when we came across a pod of wild dolphins doing what dolphins do.

The sun was setting and it was truly beautiful and I remember thinking that I should try and commit the image to my memory because it was a rare and wonderful thing.

The other was when I was fortunate enough to be standing by the Colorado River at the bottom of the Grand Canyon with Mrs B the day after we'd got married and the breathtaking majesty of my surroundings was almost overwhelming.

I'm not ashamed to admit that it brought a tear to my eye.

Not sure how serious Nat was when starting this thread but it has got me thinking about priorities and stuff.

Life is too short and we should all do whatever we can to have as many of these special moments as we can.

19Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Re: Isn't Life to Be Lived? Mon Sep 22 2014, 06:25

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Before my kids were born me and the mrs went on a mini world tour,we started off in France,made our way to Spain by train Madrid then hopped over to Ibiza stayed there a few weeks.Then got a flight to Germany where we had booked Qantas tickets to Thailand,stayed in Bangkok then had a few weeks in Pattaya.This is just a quick run through as it's work time.
From Thailand we went to Australia,Sydney first staying in the Bondi Beach hotel for a few weeks just over the road from the Famous Beach.
We even drove up the Pacific Highway how mint that sounds again on a cold Bolton morning up to Palm a Beach were they film the outside bits to Home and away.
We then got a flight to Cairns to go to the Great Barrier Reef,the flight was 2 and half hours,just how's the sie of the country .
That was one of the highlights snorkeling in the Reef we were taken to and some Scuba diving they gave us a quick half hour basic lesson and went down to the deeper bits in case anyone who had never done it felt uneasy.
We topped the Holiday off by seeing the New year in at the Opera house at Darling Harbour.We stopped off for one last week in Singapore which was like a posh Thailand.Also quite expensive.When we were in Australia the exchange rate was £1 =$2.50 so we got great value would advise to anyone at least once in your lifetime to just get up and go if you have the finances.
Plan it first see as much off each country you can see and it's something you'll never regret right off to Work

20Isn't Life to Be Lived? Empty Re: Isn't Life to Be Lived? Mon Sep 22 2014, 10:24

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This is the eternal dilemma of old folk and currently I'm halfway to packing it in.

Dropped off the youngest lad at Uni this weekend so I've decided to downsize house and throw the balance of the money into a Unit Trust which pays around 10% per annum pre-tax from Y2 forward subject to market conditions. I've got a campervan, bought a bungalow and started modernising it and I'm doing a TEFL course as a back up. Just need the cardigan and slippers now.
Easter next year, house goes on the market, and exit strategy from the business should kick in allowing me to increase holiday time until fully semi-retired in 2 years time. Hope I live long enough to make it.

By opting for early retirement I'm committing to low income for the rest of my life that will need topping up from the business or from what me and the missus can earn on our travels but at least I'll get a few years doing my thing before the inevitable comes around.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum