Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'Let's keep it simple' - Dougie Freedman plans tactical switch after Derby County disaster

+5
bryan458
Norpig
JAH
wanderlust
karlypants
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The answer to Wanderers’ woes is in black and white.

Dougie Freedman is planning to take a more simplified approach to tactics in an effort to change results.

The Scot’s on-going battle with the club’s fans is one he is unlikely to affect in the short term but with a game at Fulham looming tomorrow night he can ill-afford another defeat before returning to an uncertain atmosphere at the Macron Stadium at the weekend.

Freedman accepted his tactical shortcomings in the defeat to Derby, where his attempt to beat the Rams at their own high-tempo game failed miserably.

And that admission – the first of its kind in his two years as manager – has led to another.

The Whites boss is looking to simplify his tactics and develop a system that does not alter wildly from game to game.

“We’ve got to be more of a black and white team and play a certain way every week,” he told The Bolton News.

“I can’t assume that certain players can do certain things and I have to get around it somehow.

“The team we played against Chelsea had different personnel and maybe we need to look at that as a guideline.

“It might be a case of not giving players too much responsibility within a system because as we saw against Derby, it went horribly wrong.

“It’s something I need to analyse about my own performance because I wasn’t happy with that.”

Freedman offered an olive branch to fans last week but any chance he had of mending his relationship in the short term was blown by a wretched performance on Saturday.

Protests, pitch invasions and calls for both the manager and chairman Phil Gartside to leave made for the stormiest day at Bolton since the days of Gary Megson.

Freedman intends to take the criticism on the chin and fight on – but refrained to comment on whether his chairman should give his side of the story.

“It’s not my call. We don’t speak about this kind of stuff,” he said. “I’m the guy who stands in the little box and there are 20,000 people standing round me with different views. I’m the only one who gets to make those decisions and so I feel I should be taking responsibility.

“I have no issue with people voicing opinions. I have tried to be open and honest with you guys (the media) and I get it – it hasn’t been good enough. I agree.

“I hear the things being said and I agree with some of it. Running on the pitch I don’t agree with, I was trying to win a game of football but I get why people are frustrated.”

Some see Freedman’s position as untenable; the man himself would disagree and is intent on drawing on every bit of experience he has to get the club moving back in the right direction.

“When I first came into management at Palace I was in this exact position but I maybe didn’t have the know-how to handle it,” he said.

“I know what is needed now. I can fix it.

“All that experience will stand me in good stead. I know what to do in this exact moment.”

Source

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Good that he recognises the problem and believes he has a solution. 
Still stuck with the same players but it's a start.

This comment from the BN (not mine) sums it up nicely for me:

"So, after 2 years he's finally seeing what the fans have known for over 18 months.
Talks about rebuilding the bridges with the fans - too late Dougie, you've burned the bridges.
20,000 ? That made me laugh, we probably couldn't get 20,000 at the Macron if we got drawn against United in the cup.
Brings in 'spies' to find out what the other players are saying - proof that he has lost the dressing room.
So, he and Gartside don't even discuss the fact that the fans are calling for both of them to leave - how arrogant is that?
He has a worse record at Bolton than Coyle had when he got fired and Coyle had been managing against Prem teams - Somebody needs to ask Gartside why Coyle was fired and yet Freedman keeps his job.
He's NEVER had a winning record as a manager, but now all of a sudden he can 'fix' it?
Talks about a youth program, but sends all our young kids out on loan and brings in washed up Palace/Leeds rejects. Max Clayton been at Bolton for 3 weeks and hasn't kicked a ball in anger - did sit on the bench once!!! Derby bring in an 18 year old on loan and we got to see him run McNaughton ragged on Saturday. Maybe Freedman should change jobs for a month with Phillips, bring back the players on loan and ship out the dross who are stealing a living at Bolton's expense.
Again today we get to read more of his lame excuses and promises, he spends more time thinking up excuses than he does managing.
He wants more of a 'black and white team', well Dougie, Newcastle are black and white team and their manager is going to get fired.
We, the Bolton supporters only want success for the team that we have supported for most of our lives and the overwhelming majority don't believe you are the person who can do that."

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Breadman wrote:This comment from the BN (not mine) sums it up nicely for me:

"So, after 2 years he's finally seeing what the fans have known for over 18 months.
Talks about rebuilding the bridges with the fans - too late Dougie, you've burned the bridges.
20,000 ? That made me laugh, we probably couldn't get 20,000 at the Macron if we got drawn against United in the cup.
Brings in 'spies' to find out what the other players are saying - proof that he has lost the dressing room.
So, he and Gartside don't even discuss the fact that the fans are calling for both of them to leave - how arrogant is that?
He has a worse record at Bolton than Coyle had when he got fired and Coyle had been managing against Prem teams - Somebody needs to ask Gartside why Coyle was fired and yet Freedman keeps his job.
He's NEVER had a winning record as a manager, but now all of a sudden he can 'fix' it?
Talks about a youth program, but sends all our young kids out on loan and brings in washed up Palace/Leeds rejects. Max Clayton been at Bolton for 3 weeks and hasn't kicked a ball in anger - did sit on the bench once!!! Derby bring in an 18 year old on loan and we got to see him run McNaughton ragged on Saturday. Maybe Freedman should change jobs for a month with Phillips, bring back the players on loan and ship out the dross who are stealing a living at Bolton's expense.
Again today we get to read more of his lame excuses and promises, he spends more time thinking up excuses than he does managing.
He wants more of a 'black and white team', well Dougie, Newcastle are black and white team and their manager is going to get fired.
We, the Bolton supporters only want success for the team that we have supported for most of our lives and the overwhelming majority don't believe you are the person who can do that."

Great comment Bread. Sort of comment that should be mailed to the club!

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i don't understand the bit about the Chelsea game, i know we were playing a far far better team but he played Cravies on the left side of a 5 man midfield. Sounds to me like he is going to go even further in to his defensive shell.

JAH wrote:
Breadman wrote:This comment from the BN (not mine) sums it up nicely for me:

Great comment Bread. Sort of comment that should be mailed to the club!

You can't seriously think this is a good comment, could literally go through the entire thing and pick it apart it's an utterly awful comment which is attacking the manager for saying exactly what half the fans have been moaning about the past couple of seasons.

On the actual article itself, it's good to see he's recognised a change is needed (desperately) think we can all agree that the difficult part is executing it though, not talking about it.

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Well said Bread!!!!!

Bread didn't write it Bryan.

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Breadman's Comment, Well Said, Can't Quote, on my Phone!!!!!!!
Simple's !!!!!

Ye just pointing out he didn't write it.

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Why??

Surely I don't need to spell it out for you.

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

No, don't bother, I don't want boring in submission, I refuse to communicate with you anymore today.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scratch

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:scratch
I feel it's one of those days mate, my day has become shite as well.

I shouldn't have got up this morning! Evil or Very Mad

Wish I hadn't bothered now.......... :zzz:

bryan458 wrote:No, don't bother, I don't want boring in submission, I refuse to communicate with you anymore today.

God knows what your problem is, all I did was correct you from thinking it was a Breadman post. If you find that offensive I apologise.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Get on youtube Bread and cheer yourself up.
You know what I'm talking about.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Get on youtube Bread and cheer yourself up.
You know what I'm talking about.
It's not youtube Breadders needs Bonce...

"I met Bruce Forsyth once?"

"Did you? What was he like.....?

"Bit of a knob, Frank, if I'm honest....."

'Let's keep it simple' - Dougie Freedman plans tactical switch after Derby County disaster Sammy_Frank_Alone_

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum